Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
autofocus with k5II/IIs in sports... the forgotten subject

now that people have a good insight on the image performance on both new models, could some people please post some thoughts/reactions/photos of sports photography and if you think it makes an overall improvement over previous models

all opinions welcomed

thanks

randy

11-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

HI Randy,

This is being discussed all over the forum right now. Have you seen the AF page of the K-5 II review?
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Autofocus - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
HI Randy,

This is being discussed all over the forum right now. Have you seen the AF page of the K-5 II review?
thanks Adam, and yes I did

Just was looking for an expanded overall user review, especially in less then perfect lighting conditions

maybe I am just looking for an excuse to get the KII/IIs

thanks again

randy
11-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
thanks Adam, and yes I did

Just was looking for an expanded overall user review, especially in less then perfect lighting conditions

maybe I am just looking for an excuse to get the KII/IIs

thanks again

randy
I'm in the same place as you are. I'm also looking to upgrade to the K-5II for sports shooting. I'm hoping that someone out there can take some test shots of someone running around or preferably playing some sports (hopefully someone that can comment on the difference between the K-5 and the K-5II).

Another thing I'd love to know is how the K-5II would perform indoors. Winter is coming up which means that most of the sports are going to be played indoors. If the K-5II can auto focus well indoors, that may make it a worthy upgrade.

I've never shot with a K-5, so I have no point of reference. Any heroes out there?

11-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I just posted my review of the K-5 IIs in the camera review section, along with a link to my sports shots. I also discuss the AF performance in it. The short answer is I think the AF performance is improved a little bit for sports too - not just for slower-paced, low-light shooting. But it's not so dramatic that I can say so definitively after shooting only one meet. However, I think the whole package, put together will make it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Time will tell. I may have a re-formed opinion later, but I thought it was important to give the camera a try, since it attempts to address some of the key shortcomings I've been coming up against lately.

Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you seen the AF page of the K-5 II review?
Adam: when you did the focus speed test, did you guys check the focus of the photos after it claimed it "locked" at EV -1?
Curious if it's doing the "close enough, let's stop" thing or whether it actually did focus lock.

And did you guys test the size of the AF points? That was one of the major gripes about the old system and why people thought it misfocused...the big giant AF points grabbed something on the background instead of what the user put the focus point on. A Nikon friend says he puts focus points on people's eyes all the time but that's never worked consistently for me w/ Pentax's AF system...

It's a bummer they didn't increase the number of focus points...seems like that's what is really going to be needed to be able to do decent continous AF for sports...
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Adam: when you did the focus speed test, did you guys check the focus of the photos after it claimed it "locked" at EV -1?
Curious if it's doing the "close enough, let's stop" thing or whether it actually did focus lock.

And did you guys test the size of the AF points? That was one of the major gripes about the old system and why people thought it misfocused...the big giant AF points grabbed something on the background instead of what the user put the focus point on. A Nikon friend says he puts focus points on people's eyes all the time but that's never worked consistently for me w/ Pentax's AF system...

It's a bummer they didn't increase the number of focus points...seems like that's what is really going to be needed to be able to do decent continous AF for sports...
Size of focus points appear to be the same.

From the Russian forum, they did the test with the k-5II and the k-5. They stated that the k-5II locked on 8/10 shots accurately at -1EV, -2EV, and -3EV, while the k-5 was failing already by -1EV.

@Dsims - thanks for your review. It sounds similar to what users of the k-30 have been saying - where the AF seems to be much more decisive and accurate compared to the k-5 (which exhibits hunting while the k-5II/k-30 doesn't). As such, even if you read in the k-30 review - the decisiveness really gives the impression of better accuracy.
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
HSV
Veteran Member

Decisiveness is very important, I think...it can save you enough time to make those once in a lifetime shots, specially in sports, insects, birds, "bridezillas", etc.

11-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

I shoot some sports and BIF with my K-x, and the K5 II, although an upgrade, does not seem to leapfrog above the K-x as I had hoped in the area of AF. I am used to working with the K-x AF and have had success. I may stay on the sidelines until the next Pentax is announced.
11-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Gebco, this is precisely what I'm afraid of...the K-x is really a great camera among its peers. I'm used to its lack of AF points and use center focus all the time anyway. Any other plus improvements?
11-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well per the other threads, the k-5II performs pretty well in low light and with fast lenses. I have a k-x too, and shooting my Sigma 50 F1.4 can be very tricky sometimes in dim lighting - and even in normal lighting.
11-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It obviously depends on the sport. I covered the Grand National this year. I used Nikon for the event but I had just bought the K5 soon before and I although I did not dare use it on the main event I did actualy try a few shots in another race with it. All I can say is, that it had no problem keeping the race horses locked on. Ive heard the K5 2, while it may be no faster as such, it is though more decisive. That makes a differance ! You also have to take into consideration that the vast majority of sports, you genraly pan the subject. So focus speed needs to be just OK rather than lighning fast. The only time I notice my Nikons having the advantage is for ulta fast grab shots rather than any sporting event. The large focus points could even be an advantage here too. As there is less chance of dropping the focus point off your target. I used the horse which gave me a bigger target rather than the jocky. My thoughts are then, that the K5 2 would do quite well for sports. As long as your subject target is big enough in the frame. Which lets face it, it should be
11-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
gebco

love your profile pic! Last stubby I had was an Export

randy
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Gebco, this is precisely what I'm afraid of...the K-x is really a great camera among its peers. I'm used to its lack of AF points and use center focus all the time anyway. Any other plus improvements?

I only tend to upgrade if there is an incremental leap based on my needs. For BIF I use 5 point and AF-C and have had lots of keepers. For football I use the same thing, but I'm mindful of keeping the aperture closed down enough for good DOF. For hockey I often use centre point as it is a little easier to isolate the player. So far, even though the K5 II/IIs have the extra dial, better DR, etc, I'm not willing at this point to lay out the cash for it. We'll see what comes after the K5 series.
11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
gebco

love your profile pic! Last stubby I had was an Export

randy
Wow, Export. . . .that brings back memories. Those stubbies were tough bottles. The bottom of the case could fall open, and chances were you wouldn't have any breakage. You would just make sure you waited a little before opening them. . . .with a BOTTLE opener of all things!

Sorry. . . .O/T