Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
HSV
Veteran Member

Well, the Digitalrev test were done with the camera off, and in some cases, without battery. That alone will minimize the risks of electrical failure. Note that the Canon was dried after they did the ice "incident".

11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

All true, but I still enjoyed seeing the 7D going up in flames - over and over and ...
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
According to the Pentax publicity, the K-30 and K-5 should be able to withstand a significant downpour. A leaky card slot should be a no-questions-asked replacement.

In fact, since ruggedness is one of our virtues, we should be able to match this:
Yeah, they're going to fix it but because Pentax has a horrible presence in Canada (only available at Henry's and hardly ever in stock let alone in store to try out) I bought it through B&H. Now Pentax is charging me to fix it even though the K30 had only been out for 3 months before it broke. The result is I'll no longer be buying anything from B&H which is sad because I had two very good experiences buying through them, but it invalidates warranties.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax's gear, I've been shooting Pentax camera's since I started photography in high school with my k1000 but their repair process in Canada is without a doubt the worst I've ever had to deal with.
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a guy who used to stop in with a box full of damaged K1000s every now and then, (I used to teach a High School photography course), and with dealings with them since, I love those guys. If they do one thing wrong it would be they can't stock every part for every piece of Pentax gear ever made so sometimes they wait for parts. Apart from that, I can't imagine what the problem might be. If I lived close enough, I'd still be dropping off my damaged equipment and saying hello. These days it's all mail though.

There are a number of places that stock Pentax, and Henry's isn't the best at having less than popular lenses in stock. Aden Camera, Downtown Camera, Fredrick's Photo and many out west that I've haven't kept in touch with stock and sell Pentax product. And with Prodigal2000 on the ebay, you have a great source to ask the others guys to price match, to keep their prices in line.

My closest store, Cavalcade in Huntsville has offered to bring in whatever I want and price match as well.

PS, I forgot Vistek, maybe because their prices always scare me.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #20

I live in Halifax. Henry's is all we have. Carsand Mosher's are all closed locally, Atlantic Photo doesn't carry Pentax, nor does Future shop or Best Buy, and despite Pentax Canada listing Blacks as an authorized Pentax dealer on their website, Blacks does not stock Pentax Cameras.

My only other options are online, and B&H had the best price and had it in stock.
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Cavalcade in Huntsville has a Pentax sign on their door, all they have in stock is an Optio waterproof, but, they sell enough of those, the Pentax rep stops in every now and then, they can order anything from them. Maybe there is someone you can get to know.
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My personal experience is that I trust the weather sealing on my K-5's having used them with both a DA18-135 and DA*300 lens in heavy rain in Cancun and Costa Rica as well as the splash zone at San Diego Sea World.
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #23

I have no worries about water or sand. Pentax sealing is pretty good.
I did this video a few weeks ago:

11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petmis Quote
Yeah, they're going to fix it but because Pentax has a horrible presence in Canada (only available at Henry's and hardly ever in stock let alone in store to try out) I bought it through B&H. Now Pentax is charging me to fix it even though the K30 had only been out for 3 months before it broke. The result is I'll no longer be buying anything from B&H which is sad because I had two very good experiences buying through them, but it invalidates warranties.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax's gear, I've been shooting Pentax camera's since I started photography in high school with my k1000 but their repair process in Canada is without a doubt the worst I've ever had to deal with.
If I am reading your post correctly you purchased a new K-30 from B@H a Pentax dealer and should have at least a 1 year warranty so what is the reason they are they do they have to charge you for fixing?What did B@H have to do with the problem?
11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
Banned

I've shot with my K7 in heavy rain without any issues. I've also seen a few photos that were taken underwater with a K5 but I'm not sure I would try that with my camera...
01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Forum Member

Also posted this in the K-30 forum -- just got my K-30 3 days ago and had the opportunity to go out in a pretty decent rain this morning.

Forgive the lousy phone pic--
01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've taken my k30 into some light rain with the 18-135 wr and it was fine. Actually when I first got it, I wanted to test the weather sealing so I drove around with my window down and my camera out the window going up to 35 mph. I've been using many Pentax WR gear and I've yet to have a problem (knocks on wood). But I've heard of a few instances where the sealing failed. If you get it, just test it right away (in a reasonable way of course). If it works, great (and it probably will - this camera is selling pretty well and if there was a bunch of failures, this forum would be full of complaints and there just hasn't been that many). If not, return it as defective and get an exchange or refund.
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by petmis Quote
I used my k-30 in some light rain with the 18-135 WR and the SD card slot leaked and fried it. It's now been at Pentax Canada for 4 weeks being repaired and I've heard nothing from them about when I might see it again. Don't assume "weather sealed" means "can get wet".
I have the Pentax k5 had it with me in Thailand in heavy monsoon rain with my 18-55mm wr lens and hadno problems
04-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #29

As an update, I did eventually get my K-30 replaced but because I bought it in the US from B&H, Pentax Canada gave me a hard time, however, that is a whole other story in of itself.

My new K-30 seems to be working fine as far as weather seals go, but while I was cameraless for 3 months I ended up buying a K5 iis when it was on sale around boxing day. I'm happy to report that it too has worked fine in wet conditions, including having been used in fairly heavy snow.