Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Waterproof?K-5--K-30

Who uses their camera in the rain with or without harm?Seems find the K-30 not so waterproof.

11-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not water proof, weather sealed. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
11-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I used my k-30 in some light rain with the 18-135 WR and the SD card slot leaked and fried it. It's now been at Pentax Canada for 4 weeks being repaired and I've heard nothing from them about when I might see it again. Don't assume "weather sealed" means "can get wet".
11-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax has never claimed the cameras are waterproof, other than the Optio. WR means "weather resistant," which is not the same thing. The cameras, if properly used, with WR lenses, will resist moisture, dust and other atmospheric factors. I have been caught out in the rain, kept shooting and suffered no ill effects. The guy who decided to "test" his camera in the shower at home can't say the same.

11-03-2012, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used my K10D in light rain with a non-WR lens with no ill effect, but was careful to not treat the camera as waterproof. In other words, it was under cover except while actually taking shots. As has been noted on numerous other threads on this topic, there is a general hierarchy of vulnerability.

From least vulnerable to most vulnerable (IMHO):
  • Underwater enclosure
  • Waterproof P&S
  • Water/dust resistant (K5, K20D, K10D, LX)
  • Weather resistant (K30)
  • Well-built film SLR
  • Poorly-built film SLR and most dSLR
I would suggest caution with anything other than a rated underwater enclosure. About the best one can say is that an owner of a K5 or K30 in a compromising situation will be more likely to have a happy outcome than owners of a non-sealed camera.

Steve
11-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have used my K10D in light rain with a non-WR lens with no ill effect, but was careful to not treat the camera as waterproof. In other words, it was under cover except while actually taking shots. As has been noted on numerous other threads on this topic, there is a general hierarchy of vulnerability.

From least vulnerable to most vulnerable (IMHO):
  • Underwater enclosure
  • Waterproof P&S
  • Water/dust resistant (K5, K20D, K10D, LX)
  • Weather resistant (K30)
  • Well-built film SLR
  • Poorly-built film SLR and most dSLR
I would suggest caution with anything other than a rated underwater enclosure. About the best one can say is that an owner of a K5 or K30 in a compromising situation will be more likely to have a happy outcome than owners of a non-sealed camera.

Steve
I mislabeled the thread,should have been 'water resistant' instead of 'waterproof' as I knew.Steve pointed out something that I wasn't aware of which helps.Didn't realize there was a different classification between the K-5 and K-30.Was planning on getting one or the other soon and trying to choose.Looks like the K-5 is a better choice for shooting in rainy conditions.Have K-X and K-10 and will part with one of them.
11-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The review of the K-30 on the forum site that shall not be linked to states that the K-30, like the K-5 and K-7, is weather and dust resistant. Pentaximaging.com states that the K-30 is fully weather sealed, dustproof, coldproof and states that the K-5 is weather resistant.

11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In the other topic ( K30 forum ) on weather resistance / water resistance - "water resistant my ass" I posted a link to a utube video that was apparently commissioned and paid for by Pentax Canada that shows the K30 being covered in sand then hosed down with a high pressure garden hose. In the writing that flashes up at the end of the video it clearly says "waterproof" and not "weather sealed". There's a world of difference, or at the Canadians getting a version the rest of us aren't ?

Last edited by Lloydy; 11-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My advice with regards to this issue is don't do something stupid. What this means to me is, I'm comforable going on a hike (or a paddle) with the camera in a non-waterproof camera case, without worrying about moisture seeping into the case if there's a downpour. It means I might take the camera out of said case for a short time to get a shot, even though I may get some moisture on the barrel and body. I doesn't mean I do crazy stuff just to see if it's water proof. That being said...

QuoteQuote:
In the writing that flashes up at the end of the video it clearly says "waterproof" and not "weather sealed". There's a world of difference, or at the Canadians getting a version the rest of us aren't ?
The fact that some people have had water issues, may just mean they had defective cameras. If Pentax is addressing the issue, I'm not sure what else you can ask for. In Canada it does take a bit of time for them to get to your camera.. they aren't just sitting there waiting to pounce on it when it arrives at the door. In the case of my 21 Ltd, which we broke, we had to wait for for them to get to it, in queue, then wait for parts to come in from Japan. We also broke a K-x, and for us, it was an eye opener. It really brought home the point that we need to keep our best older body as a back up.
11-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Forum member Heie (Alex) has a rather outrageous but convincing demonstration of the fully functioning dust and weather resistant capability of the K-7 and K-5 paired with DA* lenses -- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/195116-weather-sealed.html#post2053595

That said, I doubt that every camera will be at exactly the same tolerance and with so many sealing points, it is probably best to be sensible.
11-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've allowed several Pentax cameras to play in the rain, even the unsealed k-x - no problems with any. I pat them off with a washcloth after they get their share of drizzle, that's it. Western Oregon has too many of those days to not shoot in them but I'm glad I'm using WR gear now.
11-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
These K-30 reports worry me as I was-am one the verge of getting one.If good reports of wet K-30 don't start happening soon will go for a K-5
11-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to the Pentax publicity, the K-30 and K-5 should be able to withstand a significant downpour. A leaky card slot should be a no-questions-asked replacement.

In fact, since ruggedness is one of our virtues, we should be able to match this:
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very impressive, but I guess there's a degree of good luck as well. My old K10 had a lot of abuse, and I don't think the drops, the rivers, rolling around the floor of a competition 4x4 or the rain was the cause of death. I never did set fire to it though.
11-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
According to the Pentax publicity, the K-30 and K-5 should be able to withstand a significant downpour. A leaky card slot should be a no-questions-asked replacement.

In fact, since ruggedness is one of our virtues, we should be able to match this:
Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test - YouTube
How do you know a Pentax can't can't match that? I don't see a Pentax in the picture beside it.