Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax for Weddings?

Just curious to know how many out there have used your gear for paid wedding photography work? Sadly enough, I was thinking there are probably people out there that would have some sort of rude comment when they see a photographer show up with Pentax gear and not something from the big two and if anyone has ran into this when doing paid wedding work?

11-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

I have been using my K10 for that purpose from 2007 to 2010. At least here in the Netherlands people are not all that conscious about brands. And it helped I used a Rollei6008 for the formal shots....
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've shot weddings with the K10 D, the ist DL and the K 20 D. When you carry yourself in a professional manner people don't really notice. They are much too involved in the rest of the wedding.
11-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My wife shoots weddings with Pentax. They really don't notice. All they see is someone who seems to know what they are doing with a decent sized camera and lenses. The biggest question is what do the photos look like in the end and they all have been satisfied.

11-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

...Conversely, I have seen plenty of hacks who just happen to own a Canikon DSLR and maybe two zoom lenses (usually a kit 18-55 type, and a 70-200 of some flavor), who think said ownership "qualifies" them for something as demanding as a wedding!

I just attended a wedding last night, and got to chat with the photographer briefly. Just another hobbyist trying to make a little money on the side. This guy happened to use an older APSC-format Nikon body; in reviewing his equipment list, there was nothing out of the ordinary that any Pentaxian shouldn't be able to duplicate or surpass. That said, I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding no matter what brand of equipment I owned!
11-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #6

My cousins daughter got married this past spring and my cousin asked me to take the pictures, I declined, as I wanted to enjoy myself, but as usual I had my K-x with me and still took "unofficial' pics. which my cousin enjoyed better than the professional photographer...

Last edited by GrizzlyThumper; 11-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.
11-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Our first "real" wedding shoot was just this year, after owning our cameras since 2006. I had the K10 and my wife has the K100.
After that experience, I would not do a wedding without the second photographer. Just too much riding on one person...If I don't get great in focus shots, there is no second chance.
I would do it alone only if I had several weddings under my belt.
She had my Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 for groups and formal shots,and I had the Pentax for 50mm 1.4 for the other shots like couples, candidates, etc
Between the two of us we got a lot of in focused shots and the different angles and perspectives worked well.
Man the wedding progression really seems to move fast no matter what the walking speed is.

The most important process was the initial planning...were you are going to stand, were the photos take place, etc.
Not one person ever even question the name of the equipment..but having the battery grip on the camera body goes a long way to make you LOOK like a pro.
I also looked around carefully in the reception hall were i could bounce my flash off of.
Don't use you pop up flash as it does a terrible job and makes you look like an amateur.
I really could have used auto focus lamp assist as when the lights go down for dancing, by the time my camera and flash locked focus, the dancers were already out of focus. On the dance floor I likely only got around 20 percent in focus..then taking out the good usable shots, well you get the picture that there won't be too many left.
Just keep firing...sometimes the ones that you think won't work turn out to be the best shots of the day
One more tip...buy the lithium batteries, they are expensive but you won't find yourself changing batteries as often..they seem to always run down in the worse moments. They also recycle faster.
Nothing will make you more frustrated as wait 20 or more seconds waiting for the flash to recycle.

Hopefully this will help

Good luck

Randy
11-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

K20D with extra grip and external flash - no issues with camera superiority but in this small town I am one of half a dozen DSLRs - Canons and Nikons all the others.

Practice, prepare, and be sure to recreate if you didn't get it the first time - eg first kiss, I am a sole shooter but usually find myself dodging at least one video camera and several point and shoots. The family can draw from at least one camera besides my own - again this is cultural and common to the weddings I do - no exclusivity here even though I am the only one being paid. Very traditional community so straight poses expected no trampolines needed here.

Shoot in RAW -well worth it for the latitude it gives you - Many of the weddings I do go after sunset and held outside such as example below - no reflective surfaces - you will need to have the latitude that RAW provides and the extra strobe.

11-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax is all use and weddings is what I do for a living
Country Studio Photography | Country Studio Wedding Portrait and Corporate Photography

I have never had any comments about equipment
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
KGH

I use Pentax on all my weddings and have since film, but my second shooter uses another brand. Most comments I get are about how expensive my camera rig looks, usually by a relative of the bride or someone. I never have used the top of the line cameras, I have success with the K200D currently and the *istDS before that, and i just let them think my equipment is expensive. Because you can't get Pentax at Walmart or Best Buy, people assume I have an exotic setup. But it really gets the job done!
11-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have shot a few weddings with the K5. The last two i resorted back to the nikon though. This is basicly because of the low light and tungsten light problems though. It has been corrected now in the K5 2. I would say the K5 2 will be a superb wedding camera. The only comment I have ever recieved was another photographer for the next wedding asking if it was any good. It was not mocking in any way, just a genuine question. To which I replied its brilliant in all but the focus department. Which was a honnest and genuine reply. I think when people see me with a pentax they then take them a little more seriously if they had not before. Its normal to expect a camera to be good if a pro is seen using it, because they should no what is best, and rightly so too. I am not a show off. I would use a cell phone if it did the job i wanted. Of course they dont so I dont lol. But you get my point.
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
D0n
Banned

it does not matter what brand camera you are shooting.....
Brides will still be at thier very best, or very worst.
Bridesmaids in bright colored costumes (these aren't really dresses to be worn anywhere else are they?) will still try to lure you into the coatroom for a quickie...
Drunks will still be annoying...
and no matter how much lighting, caution tape, sandbags, construction barriers or machine gun weilding military guards you put around your tripod, or lightstand (I call these devices idiot magnets) some idiot will find a way to walk into it.....

at the end of the day.. wedding photography isn't about your gear it's about your people skills....
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I've shot a handful over and since this summer. I have had some comments made about the brand, but nothing worrying. I feel very confident when shooting with my K-30's.
11-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
people just come over and ask what you're shooting...usually no "why aren't you using FF?" comments either...
11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I figure if the person is well enough informed to know the difference between cropped sensor and full sensor, they would likely be shooting the wedding themselves
It is the photos that count, not how you get them

thanks

randy