Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
I'll be doing a few fairly important portraits next week...not as killer as wedding, but very significant for me. I'm trying to learn as much as possible from this thread

I really don't think it was multi-exposure (the feature that "adds" or "fuses" several exposures together). I'm thinking that is either CH or CL drive (high or low fps continuous) or exposure bracketing. Which one of these is more useful?

I imagine that with a fairly powerful flash with a power pack, without any modifiers, and a higher ISO, shooting 3 consecutive flash exposures should be possible. If bracketing, I think it would make sense to have the bright exposure done first, then the metered one, and lastly, the dark one.

I'd be curious to know if this is possible with the AF540 and how to set it up...then I'll be needing a power pack, which I would get one of those aftermarket ones.
I probably used the wrong term. Perhaps better would be a three-shot burst. I was not exposure bracketing unless you consider the EV to by +/- 0.

Of course I may have misunderstood her but I don't think so.

11-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #32

Having been to a couple of weddings recently, perhaps as an observer, I would appreciate it if the Photogs were "invisible". I got a bit annoyed when all I could see of the signing of the registry was a large rear end of an very visible photographer. His assistant perched on the pulpit almost throughout the church wedding. Perhaps a little stealth? I do realise that the B&G do wish to have the official photographs, but could the photographers not be a bit more considerate of the guests who actually know the B&G and wish to celebrate with them (as well a catch some photographs themselves).

I acknowledge that the paid photographers do need to "get in the way" of the view, but not all the time, please!

As a guest photographing the wedding I do not use a flash in the church as it will intrude. My prime function is to enjoy the wedding: taking pictures is secondary.

I also have a bit of a dilemma in the ethics of wedding photography. In some ways of the ethics of weddings. I strongly believe in marriage, but the amount of fuss an razmataz (and excess and cost) associated with a wedding is wicked. There is a whole industry associated with weddings. My colleague is getting married soon and we had a discussion on the cost of the photographer. In the end the time spend at the event as well as the PP of the photos meant that it was not unreasonable. My only hope with the cost of the wedding is that the marriage last enough to make the investment worthwhile......

Sorry, rant over! (partly due to having 3 daughters aged 19-23....)
11-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm a huge supporter of the "unplugged wedding" trend. I would almost go as far as finding a church or venue with little to no cell phone service to avoid people buried in the gadgets.

I'm of the opposite opinion, and my last wedding part did this, was to not allow cameras in the church by the congregation, only the official photographers were allowed to shoot.

"Thank you for coming and spending this special day with us. We respectfuly ask you leave your cameras and gadgets in the car so we can share the day with you without any barriers. We have hired a professional photographer with you and will allow you to share the memories he/she captures with us"

I thought that was awesome!

I also find that the last two weddings I only used 2 lenses in the church. Fisheye, and 50-135. The 50-135 gives me working room allowing me to be as stealthy as possible. Usually hanging to the sides and only moving close for the rings/kiss.

The fisheye is to catch the whole congressional, and being able to do that without seeing the glowing screens of cell phones and other cameras is awesome. Makes for a less distracting photo!
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
HSV
Veteran Member

Electrical engineers think a lot about "what if it fails"...so I'm quite paranoid about some things.

I think it would be nice to take a few good screw drive lenses if you're taking the 16-50 and 50-135 as your workhorse lenses...just in case.

11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Electrical engineers think a lot about "what if it fails"...so I'm quite paranoid about some things.

I think it would be nice to take a few good screw drive lenses if you're taking the 16-50 and 50-135 as your workhorse lenses...just in case.
not always practical.... which is unfortunate. It adds extra weight, and I've had some shoots (not even weddings) that put you without a vehicle and you got to haul all this extra gear. If I got paranoid enough I would grab the DA 18-135 WR as a backup... but if, lets say the 18-50 fails, I'll just have to figure out how to make the 50-135 work. There is always a way to get through... unless both bodies fail.
11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #36
HSV
Veteran Member

Or one can practice a lot of manual focusing well before the event!
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, take some FA/DA Limiteds and you have screwdriven lenses that add very little weight or size to the bag.
11-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
Looking for advice on a list of equipment...I've never done it before, and although I think it would be alot of work and a bit stressful
Before purchasing equipment I would read 2+ books on wedding photography. See what is expected from you as a photographer. Then you can decide what gear you need.

11-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
It's better to have a dozen or so 4GB cards and switch them around when full, than having a huge 128GB SDXC..
This is good advice until you pop out a card at night and it drops on the ground! The SD cards are small as easy to loose.

In essence, use good judgement.
11-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm of the opposite opinion, and my last wedding part did this, was to not allow cameras in the church by the congregation, only the official photographers were allowed to shoot.

"Thank you for coming and spending this special day with us. We respectfuly ask you leave your cameras and gadgets in the car so we can share the day with you without any barriers. We have hired a professional photographer with you and will allow you to share the memories he/she captures with us"

I thought that was awesome!
In both Curch and Civil weddings in the UK the guests are normaly told not to take images as there is a pro and they are told when they can by the Vicar/Minister