Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #46
Pentaxian

The main advantage with RAW is that you get more control over your images and much more data to work with. There's much more you can do with over- or underexposed images, you'll be able to change the white balance (and have it consistent for all the photos of a certain room for example). You can use better noise reduction algorithms (if you use Lightroom), though that is probably not of relevance for you. Photos tend to be sharper and more detailed (after proper editing). Also the JPEG processing of cameras is usually not that good... especially with Pentax cameras.

Presets are useful, correct. I also often edit the first image in a row and then synchronize the settings. Mostly with white balance, but sometimes also the other settings. Big time saver. Of course if you don't touch your JPEGs at all that would still be faster, but if you load them up in Photoshop or PSP to do a few adjustments you'll probably be faster in Lightroom after you have gotten a grasp of what which setting does.

Yes, a fast computer certainly helps. At work I'm using a i5 with 4.3 GHz, SSD and 8 GB RAM. It makes Lightroom really a joy to use.

11-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Interesting informaton and you are giving me ideas to think about Kadajawi. My last photo shot I used just raw as I mentioned before. Yes the pictures looked underexposed and kind of dull. However they did turn out pretty good in processing. I am going to stick with RAW and see if I can get a handle on it. I have learned that there is a fine line when you are getting the properly exposed images. The white balance is right, it yeilds the correct colors and looks more natural. Sometimes I can nail the the right settings within about 5 pictures and then sometimes I am thinking what does this scene need. I will try in manual, shutter priority, program, flash on or off. All used on a tripod. And then sometimes it is putting my 360 flash in manual at 1/16 and I get the shot in manual mode. It all depends on the scene in front of me.
I do hear what you are saying with the processing in RAW. You do have many choices and it does seem to be sharper and less noise. I like using Corel prox 4. I downloaded lightroom and I just didn't get it. I couldn't get a flow going to edit my pictures. I have been using the corel paintshop for about 2 years and I know all the tools pretty well. YOu can download Paintshop pro X5 ulitmate for free for 30 days and see what they offer. I would like to see someone how knows both formats really well share their opinion. I was able to make big improvements in Silkypix the Pentax software of the raw files before prox4. Pro x4 does allow you to adjust RAW files. It really is a big learning curve to fnd a way to get the best photos out of your camera and then process them the best and beat time. As of now the time in processing is too much, however I am getting faster and learning more and more.

Thanks,
Racerdew
11-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I have been house hunting recently, and really, if you are shooting real estate pictures like these, your sale probably pretty good. They do add value to the house.
ya, pro pictures for you listing make a big difference in getting attention. No one really wants to see snapshots fo someones home. Great pictures with a virtual tour make a big difference. check out this virtual tour I did for a customer: www.3365oceandrive.com

This was a really fun job because it was a really unique beach house.

Happy house hunting.

Racerdew
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
ya, pro pictures for you listing make a big difference in getting attention. No one really wants to see snapshots fo someones home. Great pictures with a virtual tour make a big difference. check out this virtual tour I did for a customer: www.3365oceandrive.com

This was a really fun job because it was a really unique beach house.

Happy house hunting.

Racerdew
Nicely done! your listing must be in the millions range. I especially like those shots of bright natural light coming from the windows and onto the bed - it shout "I want to be in the bed!".
- I would suggest avoid using flash (a bit too harsh in some photos), and use tripod and longer exposure instead.
- Get a 15mm ltd and shot several shots vertically and stitch them together (pretty easy to do nowadays), wide angle create a sense of larger space overall.

You indeed have a fun job!

Lee

11-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #50

Original Poster
Thanks Lee,
and I agree with what you said. Some of the photos were harsh and some I did without the flash coupled with some HDR. One shot of the room with the view I cut out the view and pasted in the proper exposed picture. That is the hardest part of real estate photos. Balancing the light is the biggest challenge. Usually you have an agent who doesn't understand what you are doing and wants you to be out of there in less than an hour. They think I walk around just clicking away and it happens. The agent for this listing was great though and he really appreciated my work. It is a fun job however it is really slow right now. I am in California and the inventory for home sales is historically low.

Thanks,
Racerdew
12-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #51

Original Poster
Got my K-5 IIs today!

Hello all who helped me pick between the k-30 and the k-5 IIs. I got my IIs today and it is really nice. The battery is charging now and then tomorrow it goes to work. Thanks for all of your help with my decision. My K-r was trying to push it off of the table! I am amazed at how quite the shutter is on the IIs. The k-r is really loud so that is what I am use to. I posted a couple of pictures of it coming out of the box.

Thanks,
Racerdew
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #52

Original Poster
First shots with myMark IIs

I wanted to share the first couple of shots I took with my new IIs. The picture of my dog is the frist shot I took with the camera. No flash just the standing tungsten light next to the dog. The picture of my cat was taken in RAW and then converted to JPEG.

The resolution of this camera is unbelievable!!! it is just awesome. it look pretty similar to my K-r so when I got the pictures from my computer I was suprised to how well they looked and then I realized it is not my old camera.

I am really having fun with this amazing tool. I am in the habit of reaching the button layout from my K-r and I have to look and use the left hand. I like the second wheel a lot. The extra buttons make it faster and easier to get through the camera. Yes the focus is faster than my K-r. That was the first thing I noticed and the second was the super quiet shutter. it is a real sweet camera. I was suprised how small it was for what it is. it thought it would be bigger. It does feel nice in the hand and the added rubber on the grip and thumb area fell nice. It is such an awesome camera that I wonder why Pentax doesn't do more with their exposure. It is really a quality camera.

Racerdew
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Racerdew; 01-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
12-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I posted a couple of pictures of it coming out of the box.
Not fair, not fair...

12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not fair, not fair...
Your turn, you gotta get one!