Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The 14-bit color, better low light performance, and the removal of the AA filter all argue for the K-5IIs for the photos you need to take for your business.
I would agree here as well ... J

11-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I am so confusded....
1. I have read the review of the k-30 and it sounds great.
2. I have read the review of the k-5 IIs and it too sounds great.
3. is the k-5 IIs the more professional package?
I think you already know As with most people who ask questions, you answered your own. The K-5 IIs is, without a shadow of a doubt, the more professional package without downplaying the qualities of the K30 in the least bit. You need the camera for a job, the photo's may make the difference between interesting a buyer, eventually selling the house, or not. The investment is not in the same league as the potential payoff.

Get "the more professional package"!
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's an answer to your conundrum: just get a K-5, no more, no less. EOL prices are a bargain. I'm guessing that you won't notice the differences between that and a K-5 IIs, but you will notice the extra weight in your wallet: $500 or so.
11-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I had a K-r and now I have a K-5, that was a big step up. The K-5IIs should be an even bigger step up. Enjoy
Hi Docrwm,
I would like to know more in more detail how you prefer the k-5 to the k-r? I am very curious to how much better it is to us than the k-r. Do you see a noticable difference in the picture quality? Do you get the shot sooner than you did with the k-r? How is the k-5 better than the k-r in sunlight?
Plus you must like having an extra wheel. The menu in the k-5 can be annoying to run through when you have to make a lot of changes from scene to scene.

Racerdew

11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Good thinking.
If I were you, I'd go with the K-5 II, though, not with the "s" version.
Hi Class A,
you are the first to suggest NOT getting the IIs because of the possible morie effect. I haven't heard anyone complain abut it or show shots of it in a negative way. I think the biggest attraction to the IIs is that it has much higher resolution. I do a fair amount of outside photos at low ISO and indoors I am using my flash most of the time. And the better viewing screen is a big plus in out door light. Some times I second guess my shot even using the histogram because I can't see the display in the bright sunlight. So those two factors are probably the strongest points to why I would get the k-5 IIs. If not for those two factors, I would get the k-30 and maybe the 300 mm lense for fun.
My experience with my K-r is that sometimes I get some real soft focused images and some of that is the Tamron 10-24 lense. I would like to do less sharpening in PP so the higher res and focuse is desired. I am hoping to improve my work with sharper better images.

Racerdew
11-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi Racerdew,
you are the first to suggest NOT getting the IIs because of the possible morie effect. I haven't heard anyone complain abut it or show shots of it in a negative way.
Moiré and other artefacts are a fact of life for a camera whose sensor isn't outresolved by the lenses used on it. There is a reason why manufacturers built in AA-filters all these years. Manufactures will save the few pennies for an AA battery adapter or an external mic. input. They would have saved the money to omit an AA-filter if it were technically warranted.

With 16MP, moiré is less likely to occur than with 6MP or less, but there are already examples on the web (including from the D800e where moiré is harder to excite because it has 36MP).

And the better viewing screen is a big plus in out door light.
The K-5 II has the better viewing screen as well. No need to get the K-5 IIs for this reason.
11-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Another vote for the K5IIs. Nice sharpness bump from the K5, top LCD, mag body, etc etc. Though there are some pretty good deals on the K5 classic right now, so I'd consider that too.

11-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

BTW, have a look at this real world moiré example. The differences between the K-5 IIs and the K-5 are nowhere near the other, "much higher resolution"-advantage for the K-5 IIs examples Adam posted where objects near infinity had been captured with two different FA* 85/1.4 copies. I still believe that the K-5 images with its particular FA* 85/1.4 copy were too soft and the comparison was hence skewed. I hope Adam will look into this some day.
11-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I do a fair amount of outside photos at low ISO and indoors I am using my flash most of the time. And the better viewing screen is a big plus in out door light. Some times I second guess my shot even using the histogram because I can't see the display in the bright sunlight. So those two factors are probably the strongest points to why I would get the k-5 IIs. If not for those two factors, I would get the k-30 and maybe the 300 mm lense for fun.
My experience with my K-r is that sometimes I get some real soft focused images and some of that is the Tamron 10-24 lense. I would like to do less sharpening in PP so the higher res and focuse is desired. I am hoping to improve my work with sharper better images.
I originally moved "up" from the K-x to the K-5. On Tuesday I received my K-5 IIs.

Based on your description of your needs and shooting style, you need the K-5 IIs. The K-5 is not a big enough step up.

Based on my experience so far, especially when setting up the AF fine adjustment on most of my lenses, I think you may begin to clearly differentiate which of your lenses have higher resolution and can "keep up." This helped me see how good my FA*85 really is. I think that's why Adam's been using it so much for his testing. It's not that it's perfect, it's just that some of the other lenses seem to be falling back a little bit in relation to it. But this is hardly a negative - it means that the camera is getting the most out of each lens.

I think K-5 IIs will also help you decide whether the Tamron 10-24 is really holding you back or not. The DA12-24 is probably better, and I have hopes that the new Samyang 10mm prime will be good when it comes out around the end of the year. While I usually recommend a quality lens over a camera body upgrade (especially since Pentax' entry level bodies are so good), in your case I think you may need to get the K-5 IIs and try it with your current lenses.

Otherwise, if you already know you need a better lens (for example the Tamron 10-24 is your best and only wide-angle lens), don't buy any new body, and upgrade the lens first.

Last edited by DSims; 11-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.
11-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Docrwm,
I would like to know more in more detail how you prefer the k-5 to the k-r? I am very curious to how much better it is to us than the k-r. Do you see a noticable difference in the picture quality? Do you get the shot sooner than you did with the k-r? How is the k-5 better than the k-r in sunlight?
Plus you must like having an extra wheel. The menu in the k-5 can be annoying to run through when you have to make a lot of changes from scene to scene.

Racerdew
Let's see:
  1. Top screen saves my back when using a tripod
  2. two wheels make changing settings much easier
  3. takes a grip so I have 2x the power and a better handle on the camera
  4. seems to do better in getting detail in the low light portions of the frame
  5. faster shutter
  6. better ISO at 100
  7. more flexible exposure compensation
  8. auto metering seems more accurate overall
  9. 100% viewfinder coverage
  10. is weather resistant
I'm sure I have missed some but these are sufficient for me. I do not find the menus any more difficult on the K-5 than they were on the K-r and they are FAR more navigable than the Nikon and Canon menus IMHO. On picture quality, I seem to have more detail and color depth with the K-5 but that may be subjective. I do know that in lower light I get more details. In P mode with 2 dials I get more images that require less PPing than I did with the K-r because its just that much faster and easier to set things as I go along.
11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #26

Original Poster
everyone,
such great information. Good attention to detail and your experience has really made it clear. For me and my work, the IIs is the way to go. Even if its not the best choice, I can't go wrong. I think it is the best camera for my needs. It is loaded with great user features that will also make it faster to use than my k-r.

Thank you for all of your impute!

Racerdew.
11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

everyone,
such great information. Good attention to detail and your experience has really made it clear. For me and my work, the IIs is the way to go. Even if its not the best choice, I can't go wrong. I think it is the best camera for my needs. It is loaded with great user features that will also make it faster to use than my k-r.

Thank you for all of your impute!

Racerdew.
Don't forget to let us know how it works out for you. Good luck.
11-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I am so confusded....
I have read the review of the k-30 and it sounds great. I have read the review of the k-5 IIs and it too sounds great. With all the info and the camears both having different advantages; what is the better buy? Straight up what is the better camera? What is the better camera for the money? There is so much comparison between the k-5 and the k-5 IIs but what about a comparrison between the 30 and the 5 IIs?

I am a real estate photographer and high resolution is very important. I am not shooting moving houses at 5 fps. So I neeed a great shot with great res, DR and good color. Noise is not a friend for indoor shooting when you turn off the flash and use the natural light. I am using a K-r and plenty of PP. I imagine both cameras are an upgrade from the K-r but what is really the best camera? The price is a big difference and yes that really favors the k-30, however is the k-5 IIs the more professional package?

Thanks for your opinion and experience with the cameras.
Racerdew
I am shooting interiors (the widest lens I have goes down to 18mm), and it gives me a lot of trouble. Have to shoot panoramas all the time, which takes a lot of time (I don't have a panoramic head). Good that you have a proper wide angle lens.

Noise... not a problem to me. Most of my photos are shot at f16, f18 etc. so everything is in focus, so I am shooting with a tripod anyway (I guess you do so too).

From what I read from you you might want to aim for the K-30, since it has a better live view. I am mostly getting a K-5 because it has the better video mode. The K-5 II costs much more, but doesn't offer that much more. Unless you go for the IIs... Also you can get more gear that will actually help your shooting. A great tripod for example, a nice lens, ... or just save the money for when Pentax goes FF.

In terms of results I don't see a difference between K-30 and K-5. You want better DR, bracketing is your friend.
11-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You want better DR, bracketing is your friend.
How do you do your bracketing? I do some HDR with the camea, but that is all. I would like to learn more about bracketing.
Thanks,
Racerdew
11-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I am mostly getting a K-5 because it has the better video mode.
Are you sure about this? I've read, if you are interested in video, the K-30 is better to get unless you need an external microphone input or an HDMI out port.