Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So Confused.. K-5 IIs or K-30???

I am so confusded....
I have read the review of the k-30 and it sounds great. I have read the review of the k-5 IIs and it too sounds great. With all the info and the camears both having different advantages; what is the better buy? Straight up what is the better camera? What is the better camera for the money? There is so much comparison between the k-5 and the k-5 IIs but what about a comparrison between the 30 and the 5 IIs?

I am a real estate photographer and high resolution is very important. I am not shooting moving houses at 5 fps. So I neeed a great shot with great res, DR and good color. Noise is not a friend for indoor shooting when you turn off the flash and use the natural light. I am using a K-r and plenty of PP. I imagine both cameras are an upgrade from the K-r but what is really the best camera? The price is a big difference and yes that really favors the k-30, however is the k-5 IIs the more professional package?

Thanks for your opinion and experience with the cameras.
Racerdew

Attached Images

Last edited by Racerdew; 01-04-2015 at 07:55 PM.
11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like the K-5 IIs would be the right choice for you. It's better for stills thanks to the filterless design and 14-bit RAW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
TZH

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like the K-5 IIs would be the right choice for you. It's better for stills thanks to the filterless design and 14-bit RAW.
I'm agree with this too.
11-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

But even the K-30 will be good. I think it depends on your budget the most, as both of these cameras are good, each with its pros and cons over the other. You seem to already know these, so just think about your budget and what other accessories you can get for that money (maybe a better tripod, lens, flash system)

11-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
TZH

May I know which lens was used to snap this, the border edge seems a little bit ... soft ? fisheye ?
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The 14-bit color, better low light performance, and the removal of the AA filter all argue for the K-5IIs for the photos you need to take for your business.
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is going to be hard to beat the K-r, however moving up is a good decision for you. do you like having two edials? then I think both cameras (K-30 & K-5IIs) have that. Do you want a battery grip?(great for big hands and holding the camera steadier, and holding extra batteries/SD card, then the K-5 cameras have that option) Do you want a sturdier camera body? (Magnesium frame in the K-5) Do you want the antialiasing filter removed?(K-5IIs has it removed, K-5classic and K-5II has the filter) Do you want a camera that has all the bugs ironed out?(any of the K-5 models have that) Do you want a whisper quiet shutter?(yep the K-5s have that as well, which is one of my favorite things about my K-5 classic)
I would say if you want to go on the cheap then the K-30 or the K-5 classic(new or used) is your answer, if you feel like spending your money then the K-5II and the K-5IIs is the answer.
hmmmmm......decisions, decisions, good luck
11-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote
May I know which lens was used to snap this, the border edge seems a little bit ... soft ? fisheye ?
Hi TZH.
yes it does look a little fisheyed. I took this shot with a Tamron 10-24 MM at 10 mm. I was only about 6 feet away standing in the neighbors door way. It is a useful but tricky lense. You have to hold it level or it really gives you some wild angles. The close ups I used a Tamron 90 mm DI that I just got a few weeks ago. I really like that lense!!! It is awesome and so sharp. Feels like I got a new camera instead of my k-r. For real estate you need a very wide angel non fisheyed lense.

Thanks,
Racerdew

11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you to all who wrote in up above!
All bringing up good points. I think the resolution to me is #1 and that goes to the k-5 IIs (no AA filter wins). However the k-30 has scores equal to the canon 5D Mark II and III at low ISO. Next would be the focus and that might fall to the k-30. Hopefully the upgrade to the IIs is worthy. My k-r hunts like a bird dog in low light. Makes me crazy. Plus it doesn't like tungsten light bulbs. Next would be dynamic range, color and just being able to make sense of contrasting light. If I have blasting light from the sun or a window with my K-r, it is a bust. I have to do a lot to get the shot. I am not sure if the 5 IIs is better at this than the
k-30?
Sure the price goes to the K-30 but since I am doing this photography professionally, I need the best Pentax.
I use my camera a ton, I have about 35k shots with it and I have had it about 1 and a half years.
Is it true that the K-30 is poor with higher ISO in jpeg compared to the K-5 IIs? I shoot in jpeg so I can move along faster in editing.

Watch Pentax come out with a K-30 with no AA filter and a air gap dispaly!!! Now that would be killer!
Thanks everyone, I have to give it more thought. But I will be getting one in about a month.

Racerdew
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-30 review by Imaging-Resource nicely compares the K-30 to the K-5.

AFAIC, a top-LCD, quieter shutter, much better sensor cleaning, better battery life, better AF (K-5 II), better still image quality, are pros that beat any cons, for me personally.

Note that the K-5 II AF is better than that of the K-30, you seem to think otherwise.

P.S.: if you have the opportunity try a Sigma 10-20mm one day. I believe it would outperform your Tamron.
11-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 is a good upgrade to your K-r. It's autofocus is very reliable in all circumstances. The K-5 on the other side has better features for art photography.
11-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
I think for what I need, with taking still pictures for real estate, the k-5 IIs is the better decision. It would be hard to pass up the k-30 for the fact that I could get a great lense with the camera for the price of the IIs without a lense. However the IIs adds up to be slightly more of a professional advantage. I don't want to be wanting to buy a camera in a year or two so I don't want to compromise now. But it will happen, Pentax will come out with a totally new camera in about 8 months and the cycle starts up again. However I am coming from a K-r so I think the K-5 IIs will be a big step up.
Thank you,
Racerdew
11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I think for what I need, with taking still pictures for real estate, the k-5 IIs is the better decision. It would be hard to pass up the k-30 for the fact that I could get a great lense with the camera for the price of the IIs without a lense. However the IIs adds up to be slightly more of a professional advantage. I don't want to be wanting to buy a camera in a year or two so I don't want to compromise now. But it will happen, Pentax will come out with a totally new camera in about 8 months and the cycle starts up again. However I am coming from a K-r so I think the K-5 IIs will be a big step up.
Thank you,
Racerdew
I had a K-r and now I have a K-5, that was a big step up. The K-5IIs should be an even bigger step up. Enjoy.
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Forum Member

I think that the K-5iis fits your bill ;-)
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I don't want to be wanting to buy a camera in a year or two so I don't want to compromise now.
Good thinking.

If I were you, I'd go with the K-5 II, though, not with the "s" version.
The latter is for pixel-peepers or people who need to print at huge sizes. You'll only see a plus for the "s" version in these scenarios, i.e., for normal applications you should always be able to sharpen the K-5 II images beyond to what you need.

The danger with the K-5 IIs is that moiré may occur and that moiré structures can be very large, certainly much bigger than the minute differences in pixel sharpness that exist between K-5 II and the K-5 IIs.