Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Recommendation needed for tonight, taking pics of speakers and concerned about WB

Hi!
The company I work for is having a GTG today and I am a bit concerned about WB. I got this Grey Card I bought recently and was wondering if I should use that for WB when taking pics of the speakers or since I shoot in RAW, does it even matter? Maybe try different modes and see which one looks better?
If I were to set my WB using the card and it turns out I dont like the end result on my computer...since its RAW, is that something I can fix wthout issues?
Thanks!

02-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

I shoot in RAW and I always try to get a good white balance when I'm shooting because having a good starting point makes it easier for me fine tune the white balance during processing. The grey card I use has a white card on the opposite side so I generally use it to get a white balance but I think if your grey card should work as well as long as the card is a neutral grey. Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin95 Quote
Hi!
The company I work for is having a GTG today and I am a bit concerned about WB. I got this Grey Card I bought recently and was wondering if I should use that for WB when taking pics of the speakers or since I shoot in RAW, does it even matter? Maybe try different modes and see which one looks better?
If I were to set my WB using the card and it turns out I dont like the end result on my computer...since its RAW, is that something I can fix wthout issues?
Thanks!
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
On the back it has instructions and it says it is a 18% grey card.
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before things start , stick the grey card on the podium and take 1 shot, then remove it. Shoot in AWB (or any setting you wish) in raw. When you process that image, use the WB tool in ACR, click on the grey card to set WB. You can set your exposure and all other settings also, save the settings, and use them to process the rest of your shots. If you are not using ACR, I'm sure your RAW processor has an equivilant tool to the ACR WB tool.