Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Cotton candy!

01-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Much better trog, thanks! I guess I'll have to spring for noise ninja or some such. Which program did you use? Not so sure about the train pic, I'm looking at it on my admittedly crummy work monitor, but from here the rock in the foreground looks a bit...fake...I guess is a good word. But I was fairly content with it anyway, especially it being a "snap shot" type photo.

NaCl(a never ending list of things to learn...sometimes that seems a good thing sometimes a bad)H2O
01-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info roentarre, nice butterfly pic. Looks like I'm gonna hafta get used to using my tripod more if I want some good sunset pics, at least with the 50-200. Or maybe rob a bank and get the FA 31 and F 35 to go along with the FA 77 I'm waiting for.

NaCl(anybody got the floor plans to fort knox?)H2O
01-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks but you can see the noise level at ISO 800

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
your butterfly plus bokeh is nice roentarre..

trog
Thanks Trog. You can see how noisy the bokeh area is with ISO800. The place is very damp and dark. The light was barely through the canopy of leaves above me. I think NaClH2O can only rely on a bit post processing to rescue the images...

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks for the info roentarre, nice butterfly pic. Looks like I'm gonna hafta get used to using my tripod more if I want some good sunset pics, at least with the 50-200. Or maybe rob a bank and get the FA 31 and F 35 to go along with the FA 77 I'm waiting for.

I think ISO 400 would be good enough. Avoid ISO 800 unless you are after abstract or certain look like what Jonas wanted.

With sufficient lighting

Pentax K10D
1/350s f/2.8 at 300.0mm iso800 full exif

With insufficient lighting

1/180s f/2.8 at 300.0mm iso800 full exif

I would try to avoid ISO 800 anyway. I have been making sure I use ISO 400 most of the time when I hike or have a casual walk around especially in the bush...

01-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

the train pic is a bit over done.. i just did it to show how quick and easy it was to meddle with a pic.. but u cant work on a little pic that well.. it needs doing before its resized.. i use paint shop pro 9.. its not the latest one.. it has an action called "remove digital camera noise".. and thats exactly what it does bless it..

it has some neat little "quick fixes" plus u can record your own scripts to batch process pretty much what u like..

as u probably know i shoot jpegs and am a bit of an anti post process kinda dude..

iso 800 noise is not really noticable where its used to keep shutter speeds up.. say with a tele photo shot that comes out well exposed..

best to avoid thow with under exposed sky pics.. but it is easy to get rid of in milder cases.. too much noise destroys detail thow and removing the noise just removes the detail..

trog

ps.. to use a sound analogy.. there is something called a "signal to noise ratio".. noise (unwanted sound) is always present and relies on a much more power signal (wanted sound) to swamp it out..

digital noise is just the viusal equivalent of sound noise.. always present.. your (and my worse example) under exposed sky pic is a "weak" signal.. hence the signal to noise ration is very low and the noise shows up.. plus it makes up the bulk of the pic which makes it worse..

if u boosted the signal strength (higher exposure) the desired twilight/dusk look would just become boring daylight..

so the answer to your original question is simple.. your "signal to noise" factor was very low.. not much to do about it other than turn the sensor sensitivity down and keep the noise down.. u cant boost the signal that much..

Last edited by trog100; 01-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
01-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the analogy trog. I guess I was expecting similar results to my train shot. I've used ISO 800 many times in the past with not much noise. But it was always in situations like the train pic, lots of detail, hard contrasting lines etc. I was also bummed because I had specifically gone out to get the moon rise and it was crystal clear except for the quadrant the moon was rising in which was cloudy. Irked me no end.

NaCl(I even snuck out of work a bit early to get the shots)H2O
01-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
couldnt resist spending two minutes on the other one as well..

trog
Hey Trog, looks like a very effecting noise reduction program. Should I just Google for "denoise"?

Thanks,

Jer
01-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

sailor.. i used paint shop pro x 9 on that train image.. i thought it looked a little soft.. but to sharpen it i ran the denoiser first cos i didnt want to sharpen the noise..

it had the psp "remove digital camera noise" set on its very mild default setting..

the psp "clarify" again on its very mild default setting..

then the psp "sharpen more".. no settings with this one but its fairly aggressive..

the affect is perhaps a wee bit over done but would have worked better on the fullsize image..

the denoise on its own would not be that noticable on the train image.. it was was in the sky ones thow..

i use irfanview as my basic viewer/editor with paint shop pro linked as its external editor for anything extra..

trog

01-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

It is not a problem with the camera, or the ISO, it is a problem with sky. Sky has always been the bain of photography, even with film. There are no edges to render so the grain/pixels have no clear place to go. Noise Ninja did do a nice job, although I don't like the effect of too much noise reduction. The original image looked fine to me, but I have been looking at sky pitures (my own and others') for years and that is how they always look.
01-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Get some help from the Decepticons (Transformers) or Cobra Commander (G.I. Joe) to knock it down for you? Man, where are my old VHS tapes?
01-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I have been making sure I use ISO 400 most of the time when I hike or have a casual walk around especially in the bush...
I very rarely take my camera off of ISO 200 while on my hikes and never carry any tri (or mono) pod But I usually crouch down and have a pretty steady hand. Plus I usually take 2 or 3 shots all at once hoping that 1 will turn out.