Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D shake reduction manual setting zoom lens

Is it essential to set shake reduction manual reading each time you alter the focal length of a zoom lens on the K10D and K100D or is there an average setting you can leave it at?

02-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Optimally you sould set the FL you are using - one of the drawbacks to manual zooms (unless on a tripod where you don't use SR).
02-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Further question

Thanks. I would also like to know if you set it to lens setting or digitally adjusted setting?
02-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you always set shake reduction to the focal length on the lens. focal length is always focal length.

Don't get fooled by "equivelent to 35 mm focal length" because that is really discussing field of view, and nothing more

As to the initial setting, I agree with other posters, set it best you can to the actual focal length you are using. I generally set mine to the middle, if I plan to be just walking around.

I have not tried to evaluate the errors, because shake reduction is really so strongly dependant upon good technique. It is also hard to be absolutely consistant in the shake you impose on the camera, frame to frame, and therefore determine an intermediate setting that is "optimum"

02-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #5

Setting the SR focal length to the lowest you will use is the safest way, since that way you never introduce more shake by overcompensation.
And changing the setting on the fly is also quite quick. I suspect the menu entry was placed to the bottom on purpose.
02-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

How do you access the focal length menu? I noticed when I turn the camera on with either of a couple of old second hand lenses mounted it goes straight to the menu, but once I've selected it I don't know how to change it - rather annoying as both those lenses are zooms!
02-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
How do you access the focal length menu? I noticed when I turn the camera on with either of a couple of old second hand lenses mounted it goes straight to the menu, but once I've selected it I don't know how to change it - rather annoying as both those lenses are zooms!
K10D with the camera on, select menu. press up on the 4 way controller ONCE, to get immediately to the bottom of the recording menu. Shake reduction will be highlighted. Press the right arrow once on the 4 way controller to get the focal length menu like on start up.

Or, since you may have changed lenses any way, just turn the camera off and then on. this way, if you have sensor cleaning programmed, that function will take place immediately after you change the lenses, insuring that if any dust got inside, it won't stick

02-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #8

Brilliant! Thank you so much!