Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Some people have mentioned in the past that the K10D has less dynamic range than the competition despite the 22 bit a/d conversion (I think I got that right).

I've noticed that I can pull a LOT of detail out of an ISO100 image by processing the raw files twice, and combining using the 'ghetto HDR' method. Import one image to expose properly for shadows, and one for proper exposure of highlights. Add a layer mask, and voila.

Results? Pretty amazing. The dynamic range may not be present in a single raw or jpg, but you can find a TON of detail in the shadows at ISO100.

(images snipped)

Very little noise in the shadows, even after being bumped by two full stops. Very nice, IMHO.
Cheers,
Damian
Damian, nice work but what is the difference of what you did and playing with the sliders in the "shadows and highlights" tool in PSE? It seems to me that that would be the easier course.

NaCl(I may be missing the point)H2O

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, detail, dslr, exposure, hdr, image, iso100, k10d, photography, range, shadows