Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Olympus E1 !!!!!!!!!! superb and cheap
olympus e1 | eBay

11-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems your friend's budget is tight. I would suggest a body for the price suggested, and use Pentax because of the good backwards compatibility (with minor technical limitations) to old series of very good lenses - also available in used market for low prices. This will enable your friend to get a body, and in the near future to expand to a couple of usefully different lenses which are likely to be keepers when they upgrade in a few years when they have experience to know what they really need and, hopefully, improve financial circumstances.
11-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It seems your friend's budget is tight. I would suggest a body for the price suggested, and use Pentax because of the good backwards compatibility (with minor technical limitations) to old series of very good lenses - also available in used market for low prices. This will enable your friend to get a body, and in the near future to expand to a couple of usefully different lenses which are likely to be keepers when they upgrade in a few years when they have experience to know what they really need and, hopefully, improve financial circumstances.
Those were my reasons I gave to him exactly. They're also what I've done with my situation (buy a relatively cheap body, collect some old glass, hold on for a better body and use the glass I've got). I can also lend him lenses to try, too. The camera body is the hard bit though. I'm not sure whether a K-x or a K200D would work better.
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
I prefer using a tripod, where the recompose thing doesn't work very well.
When I use mine on the tripod, I either focus manually, or I autofocus, then flip the switch to MF, recompose & shoot. No biggie.

11-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
No biggie.
Seems like a negative to me.
11-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
Seems like a negative to me
Since I'm used to using 35mm SLRs with split prism focusing screens, I'm accustomed to that method when using a tripod. I have other Pentax DSLRs with focus point confirmation, and I still set those to use only the center point. It's just the way I prefer to shoot. It's a personal preference thing.