Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Cheapo DSLR selection?

My friend currently shoots on an olympus bridge. He wants to upgrade to a DSLR for no more than £200 (realistically). I've already recommended the K10D, but I wasn't too sure of myself, what with no experience with the camera myself. He doesn't mind going back a few years or so to find a good camera.

Any recommendations would be helpful

Also, any positive Nikon vs. Pentax comments would be helpful, as he's thinking about a D3200. Me being a bit militant, decided to try and convince him to turn to Pentax

Thanks for your help!

Gil

11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a spare K2000D if u r interested, pm me
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
ASa

I used to shoot with a Sony DSC W-55 CyberShot 7,2mpix point & shoot before deciding on the K10D some three years ago. From that experience I suggest getting some Pentax prime(s) to see the difference clearly. I had hard time convincing myself of the excellence of the camera before I went out and got the M50/1.7, which then showed me the real potential of the camera, and also taught me to use the kit lens better too.
I've used the camera for three years, the last two more extensively. Just now I've reached the limits of the camera, and for me it comes from high ISO performance. The max of 1600 on the CCD sensor is sometimes limiting, and I miss shots every now and then. However for everyday use, and planned shootings you can mostly avoid this problem, and as I don't have the budget to upgrade (to K5), I'm still using my K10D with confidence. If you want to see what kind of results can be expected from the K10D and the collection of lenses below, click on the link to reach my flickr, or just see my albums here in PF.
One last word to make it clear, it's the lenses that matter more than the body, and lastly it's all about how you use it.
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If he can get a D3200 for under £200, that is a killer deal and he should jump on it.

11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Nikon D3100, Canon 550D are good choices for bodies. I really would not recommend a Pentax at this price right now. If he is in to movies, then the 550D is a no-brainer.

Does he want to spend £200 on a body only or a body with lenses? It would be a stretch to get a body and lenses at this price.

Last edited by photoman1; 11-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
11-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There should be some used K-x's floating about at that price point now.
It is an excellent performer, with great IQ, and does video.
11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The k10 is just fine. Still better than many dslr in same age.
I have used canon 400d, 30d, k10, they all in same price range.

K10 may be the best choice due to WR.

K20 may in this range too. Any dslr at less than 300usd, for me, is dispenable.

11-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I handled a K10D a while back and have to say...everything else aside, it was the best camera ergonomically that I've ever used.

But anyways, what does he want to shoot? Does he want video? These things would help narrow the selection.
11-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I handled a K10D a while back and have to say...everything else aside, it was the best camera ergonomically that I've ever used.
Couldn't agree more.
Even though I use my K-5 more, the K10 is just so well made.

Anyway, I would also recommend the K10, but it might take some getting used to to get the most out of it, such as its poor performance at high ISO.
AF also isn't the best in low light situations.
Depends how your friend feel and what he might need it for mostly.

The K-x also comes to mind.
Never used one, but it is a fine piece of kit judging from the photos I've seen.

A big difference in those cameras, so you need to be sure what your friend will shoot most.
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is an awesome DSLR and these days it can be had for about $275 with kit lens if you get lucky, used. I would go for that if he can swing the extra $75 or so, definitely. The K-x kicks arse...
11-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
The K-x is an awesome DSLR and these days it can be had for about $275 with kit lens if you get lucky, used. I would go for that if he can swing the extra $75 or so, definitely. The K-x kicks arse...
Echoing the K-x love. Even though I managed to kill mine, its going to remain a shelf piece for me strictly on memory value alone.
11-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

K-x. Most "bang for your buck" by a long shot. That's why I have two. Fantastic image quality and great ergonomics.

If he wants a few bucks left over to buy a used lens or two, he could pick up an *istDS or K100D for less. There's absolutely nothing wrong with those. They take great images and have excellent build quality. They're just not as good in the high-ISO department as the K-x, and they're 6 vs. 12 MP. Still, very capable cameras. I use those all the time, too.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 11-09-2012 at 06:05 AM.
11-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #13

I loved my K-x, but I do have to mention the lack of a focus indicator as a negative. I was constantly setting it manually after a few of my shots were focused on the 'wrong' point automatically by the camera. I don't know whether a K-10d has focus points in the viewfinder, but this may be a benefit.

I do think that the K-x is the perfect starter camera: Not too complicated to get started with, but with room to grow once you learn more.
11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
I loved my K-x, but I do have to mention the lack of a focus indicator as a negative. I was constantly setting it manually after a few of my shots were focused on the 'wrong' point automatically by the camera.
Set the focus point to the center, and you don't need the red blinky lights. I'd use center point anyway, since you can't trust the camera to "know" what you want to focus on. With me, I guess it's a throwback to my 35mm SLR days when I'd use the split prism to focus, recompose, and shoot. Same thing, only with AF.
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #15

I prefer using a tripod, where the recompose thing doesn't work very well.