Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Suffice it to say, I'm confused about what will actually work with a K100D. What I'd like to see is a short list of flashes that you can just load-n-go. I presume that all of them will allow manual control to some degree.
Lucky you: it is a short list.

There's the three Pentax flashes (little with no tilt or swivel, medium with just tilt, big with both) and the two Sigma 530 models (plus older 500 versions of the same), with the difference being that "Super" can do high-speed sync and wireless.

02-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I've got a mint Sunpak 333 and I could not be more happier. Swivel head auto and manual settings, small (compared to 285hv). I realy don't know a reason to buy other flash units, with stupid lcd screens and p-ttl.
I also have a Sunpak 333 and have used it a few times on my K10D, and am really pleased with the results. Skaktuss: do you use the flash directly on the hotshoe without a wein sync adapter? I tested the trigger voltage on mine and they largest voltage was around 6.5V (with new batteries). Pentax will not give me a specific 'maximum' trigger voltage, so I am still concerned that I will fry the camera. Any thoughts? Thanks!
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I second the Sunpak 383

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver Quote
The sunpak 383 is great value if you don't mind using an auto flash (just set iso and aperture on flash to match camera) instead of P-TTL.
It tilts and swivels, has three aperture settings and manual power settings as well.

Oliver
...I have it and it's pretty easy to use. I try to avoid using flash as much as possible, but there are times where I just can't avoid it if I hope to get a decent picture. Brand new, you can pick one up for around $80--used, a good bit less.

If I did a lot of studio-portrait type work, I might could justify spending $300+ on a Pentax flash, but since I don't, then what's the point?

HTH,
Heather
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Shotgun Quote
I also have a Sunpak 333 and have used it a few times on my K10D, and am really pleased with the results. Skaktuss: do you use the flash directly on the hotshoe without a wein sync adapter? I tested the trigger voltage on mine and they largest voltage was around 6.5V (with new batteries). Pentax will not give me a specific 'maximum' trigger voltage, so I am still concerned that I will fry the camera. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I have used it directly on hot shoe. Voltage is ~ 4-5V with NiMH rechargeables.
I'm not sure what is the max K10D safe sync voltage, but I know that up to 12V it is 100% safe.

02-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I have used it directly on hot shoe. Voltage is ~ 4-5V with NiMH rechargeables.
I'm not sure what is the max K10D safe sync voltage, but I know that up to 12V it is 100% safe.
Great!! No worries, then! Thanks so much!
02-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #21

I have a Sunpak 383 Super that I use with my K100D Super (getting tired of that "Super" tag). It works great! I never use the auto mode though - manual all the way. It's made for DSLRs (meaning it has a low trigger voltage), so it won't blow out your electronics.

It's cheap, it does the job, and swivels in 2 directions! I'm happy with it.