Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The SB600 will work in any of the manual modes, or in A mode, where the flash uses it's own sensor to control flash output. It will not work in TTL, or TTL-BL modes, and none of the more advanced features will work.

08-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the af assist light of these flashes work properly with pentax cameras?
08-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Will the af assist light of these flashes work properly with pentax cameras?
No. I wish it did. It's such a simple concept that you'd think someone might have standardized the pin position for the AF assist lamp
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spanky12 Quote
My daughter was taking pictures of a band, and when a friend saw she was using the cameras built in flash, he gave her his Nikon flash. It worked. I thought you had to use a Pentax specific flash for it to work. Whats the deal?
It will flash (via the hotshoe X-sync point - the central largest one), but will not meter / expose correctly unless the Nikon flash is in external Auto mode and co-incidently, the ISO speeds and aperture selected at the flash and the body are the same!

08-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Pentax Flashes

I recently purchased a K200D. I called Pentax USA support to inquire about using my old AF200S from my ME Super. I was told by Pentax Support that any of the older Pentax branded flashes are fine to use on the newer Pentax Dslr's. Obviously you have to use them in manual mode but they will not hurt the electronics in the camera. Hope this helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I'm a new forum member and I'm sorry if I'm slightly off topic, although it does have something to do with odd flashes.
I bought a K10D a couple of weeks ago and I don't regret it for a second. One of the reasons of buying a Pentax was that my dad used one and since everything is backwards compatible (it's great) I also have a few manual lenses and a AF160SA flash, a relic from the early 90's I guess.
And here's my question. I've used it for a while now but reading about short circuiting cameras with the flash has made me worried. I only thought that there was a very low current between the flash and the camera, I see no reason for the camera nor the flash to send a high current to each other since both have their own power supply.
Am I wrong or should I stop using it right away?
Here's a picture of the flash and a cool thing I made for my flash. It's a diffuser out of normal paper that I cut out and made a mould for in cardboard so I can make several copies since it's paper and gets deformed after a few weeks of usage. It gives perfect lighting for club pictures!

Attachment 10606
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I recently purchased a K200D. I called Pentax USA support to inquire about using my old AF200S from my ME Super. I was told by Pentax Support that any of the older Pentax branded flashes are fine to use on the newer Pentax Dslr's. Obviously you have to use them in manual mode but they will not hurt the electronics in the camera. Hope this helps.
I don't know if those "Smart Auto" Pentax External Auto Flash guns can be used in Auto mode or not.

On the other hand, for those non-Smart Auto flash unit, I am sure they will work, unless the user don't select the matching setting on the flash with the body settings. :-)