Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #1

Will a Sigma 28mm f2.8 lens fit a Pentax?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just recently purchased some lenses on ebay and out of them is a Sigma 28mm f2.8. To be specific this is the title "SIGMA-Z Multi-Coated 28mm Thread Mount 1:2.8 Camera Lens W Hood Case 2 Cups Z mm". What is a thread mount and will it fit my pentax k-x? Since I bought my camera two years back I've been meaning to go lens shopping but I know nothing about lenses and this site has been EXTREMELY helpful to me. I abandoned my camera for polaroids but it was starting to get a little pricey for me.

ps. I'm new on here so HELLOOOO EVERYONE!

11-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma lenses will work on Pentax cameras, but they have to have the K-mount (and it doesn't sound like the one you're referring do does).

Here's the only 28mm F2.8 Sigma lens that I was able to find in our DB:
Sigma 28mm F2.8 Mini Wide II-- Manual Focus Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
oh darn, is there an adapter I can get?
11-11-2012, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdubuisson Quote
oh darn, is there an adapter I can get?
post and image of the rear mount and it should be easy to identify.

If it is threaded it is probably what they call and M42 mount, and there are plenty of adapters for them

Edit: Is this the Item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGMA-Z-Multi-coated-1-2-8-28mm-M42-thread-mount-Lens/251105754009

If yes then it is an M42 mount and you need an 'M42 to K-Mount adapter"

11-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
ohh noo mine was wayyy cheaper. This is it: Sigma Z Multi Coated 28mm Thread Mount 1 2 8 Camera Lens w Hood Case 2 Cups Z Mm | eBay
and I bought this adapter because I bought another lens that needed an adapter Pentax M42 Screw Lens to PK K Adapter Infinity Focus for K10D KX KM K7 K5 | eBay This is what you are referring to right? I'm not sure if it is legit or not. I'm on a bit of a budget but then again I don't want something thats not going to work.
11-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
besides the price haha yeah that is the lens that i got
11-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

ohh noo mine was wayyy cheaper. This is it: Sigma Z Multi Coated 28mm Thread Mount 1 2 8 Camera Lens w Hood Case 2 Cups Z Mm | eBay
and I bought this adapter because I bought another lens that needed an adapter Pentax M42 Screw Lens to PK K Adapter Infinity Focus for K10D KX KM K7 K5 | eBay This is what you are referring to right? I'm not sure if it is legit or not. I'm on a bit of a budget but then again I don't want something thats not going to work.
OK well it is definitely not an M42 Screw mount so the adapter isn't needed. It is a Bayonet mount and more specifically it looks like the K-mount but it has an aperture coupling that I haven't seen before, yet it seems to be in the right place so it probably is but I will leave the mount ID up to someone that knows the sigmas'.

11-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Looks like Pentax mount to me too, red dot, bayonet lugs and aperture lever all seem to be in the right places in relation to each other.
11-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
OK well it is definitely not an M42 Screw mount so the adapter isn't needed. It is a Bayonet mount and more specifically it looks like the K-mount but it has an aperture coupling that I haven't seen before, yet it seems to be in the right place so it probably is but I will leave the mount ID up to someone that knows the sigmas'.
Is the aperture coupling a good thing or bad thing?
11-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
and thank you sooo much for the help!
11-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is the aperture coupling a good thing or bad thing?
It should be fine just a different style, if it worked on the old film SLRs it should work on a DSLR. There are no A contacts though, so you'll need to use M mode with stop down metering.