Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very encouraging samples, and very good ones at that...

02-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

simply amazing
02-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by pareto Quote
In the German forum DigitalFotoNetz there is a report about a user meeting with Pentax Europe in Hamburg where the users of the forum could handle the new K20D with final firmware! There is a long thread including some high ISO samples there.
Your favorite translation tool should be able to get something out of it.

Have a nice day!

Edit: Didn't realize, it might be necessary to register in order to see attached images (high ISO on page 4). I'm sorry. But you can read the comments nevertheless.
Hi, Pareto!

Seems to me first samples with firmware 1.0 is very big news. How come nobody seems to care much in here or dpreview forums? Are these samples copyrighted to DFN or what? Are they just jpegs or raw formats too? Full scale or drastically reduced?
Sorry for all the questions but I am very curious to see them.

Thnak you for your time,
Radu
02-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the German forum DigitalFotoNetz there is a report about a user meeting with Pentax Europe in Hamburg where the users of the forum could handle the new K20D with final firmware! There is a long thread including some high ISO samples there.
Your favorite translation tool should be able to get something out of it.
I read there that there won't be any updated firmware for K10D anymore Not good.

02-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be surprised at that. They have too many cameras out there and quite a few being used by working photogs. If that's the case, we'll wait till the k20D hits the street and start a thread with what PF users want updated. Then start a letter writing campaign to Pentax USA/EU and get them moving. WE should be able to get at least half the members here to write and put some pressure on them.

I plan on getting a K20D but keeping the K10D as the second camera and want it to be as good as it can be for my re-started part time business.

Maybe I'll start a thread for that to get it ready and then we can have some cohesive suggestions for Pentax with out the typical wild suggestions (I want to use it as an Ipod ).
02-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

They look very nice to me for the IQ. Thanks for posting them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Hi,

Yesterday I was in local photo equipment shop and when I asked them about K20D they simply handed me K20D

Here are a few pictures I have made, all of them are jpegs out of the camera (resized of course), Auto WB (mixed lighting in that store).

K20D noise reduction was off.

02-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rice High (and anyone else posting), just a thought. Because this site is getting big, when you quote another post, could you delete the pictures that are already posted to save bandwith and server space. It just clogs things up, especially for users on slower conections.

Yeah the camera seems to produce good images from what we've seen so far.

02-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Rice High (and anyone else posting), just a thought. Because this site is getting big, when you quote another post, could you delete the pictures that are already posted to save bandwith and server space. It just clogs things up, especially for users on slower conections.

Yeah the camera seems to produce good images from what we've seen so far.
Could the Forum make an automatic feature for deleting image links when quote the message, i.e., to leave only text? Is it possible?
02-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Pareto!

Seems to me first samples with firmware 1.0 is very big news. How come nobody seems to care much in here or dpreview forums? Are these samples copyrighted to DFN or what? Are they just jpegs or raw formats too? Full scale or drastically reduced?
Sorry for all the questions but I am very curious to see them.

Thnak you for your time,
Radu
Hello Radu!

I don't know about copyright, but as they can only be downloaded by forum members, I won't repost them on my own. The original poster probably wouldn't mind, but as registration is free and only takes about one minute, there's no urge to repost.

The samples on page 4 are full size jpegs developed from DNG raw via Adobe Lightroom. Noise reduction turned off both in cam and LR; jpeg quality 85; ISO 1600, 6400 and 3200. EXIF clearly states "K20D Ver 1.00".

They are macro shots of a flower taken with the new DA35. I don't think noise is any better than those pre-1.0 samples that you can find everywhere. Still 1600 is very good, 3200 is very good after Neat Image and 6400 is bad with pattern noise in the shadows. But there were demanding conditions with very minimal depth-of-field and large uniform out-of-focus shadows. So obviously no objective comparism can be made.

Bye,
pareto.
02-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #25
RaduA

Hello Radu!

I don't know about copyright, but as they can only be downloaded by forum members, I won't repost them on my own. The original poster probably wouldn't mind, but as registration is free and only takes about one minute, there's no urge to repost.

The samples on page 4 are full size jpegs developed from DNG raw via Adobe Lightroom. Noise reduction turned off both in cam and LR; jpeg quality 85; ISO 1600, 6400 and 3200. EXIF clearly states "K20D Ver 1.00".

They are macro shots of a flower taken with the new DA35. I don't think noise is any better than those pre-1.0 samples that you can find everywhere. Still 1600 is very good, 3200 is very good after Neat Image and 6400 is bad with pattern noise in the shadows. But there were demanding conditions with very minimal depth-of-field and large uniform out-of-focus shadows. So obviously no objective comparism can be made.

Bye,
pareto.
Hi, Pareto

Your effort towards satisfying my curiosity is much appreciated! I guess it’s just a matter of time until many samples with v1.0 will come into wild. And as a personal opinion for me ISO 1600 in very good quality is fast enough. And of course I am waiting for Adobe to tune Lightroom and PS CS3 Camera RAW for the K20D.
Again thank you very much!

Radu
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A quick question for you Edvinas: how did the K20 feel as far as shutter noise/mirror dampening goes?

I think it was Ben and some others who implied that the K20 would be a pretty silent camera, at least compared to K10 or K100, did you notice any differences?

Thanks.
02-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
A quick question for you Edvinas: how did the K20 feel as far as shutter noise/mirror dampening goes?

I think it was Ben and some others who implied that the K20 would be a pretty silent camera, at least compared to K10 or K100, did you notice any differences?
Yes, K20D has noticeably quieter mirror slap.
02-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Yes, K20D has noticeably quieter mirror slap.
Thanks, it's very good news (too).
02-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Thanks, it's very good news (too).
Well, how about the AF responsiveness at lower light? Any noticeable difference from the K10D?