Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

For those of you with both the K-5 and K-01 or K-30...

I was wondering for those of you with both K-5 and the K-30 OR K-01, can you honestly, with no hesitation say that you notice a difference between 12-bit and 14-bit Raw files? Yes, 14 bit is able to produce more color combos, but in practice, can you really telleither on your monitor or on your prints?
I think the difference would be very tiny, but all I have is the K-5, so I have no basis for comparison. Plus, if I look at people's files, all I have is 8-Bit JPEGs.

Of course this is all very unscientific...just your seat of the pants, eyeball test impressions.

11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I tried two monitors that I have "cranked up" to their maximum settings. Using these two monitors; with graphics cards set to engineering levels...

HP / Hewlett Packard DreamColor LP2480zx 24" GV546A4 B&H

LaCie 324i 24" Widescreen LCD Computer Display 131081 B&H

And also even a version of this one hooked up to a NASA computer - with permission naturally (on downtime)...

Not quite the same exact one, but same exact specs though...

And to conclude. With any pcs that were takes in RAW under identical conditions between the K30, the phased out K-5, and also the K-01... There was literally no noticed difference. I've even tried it under a variety of lighting conditons and also used pro color targets. Even gone so far as to making my own color targets out of many, many paint swatches - also in grey scale.

Now one place where it is quite noticeable is between the 14bit in the Pentax 645d (40mp) and Hasselblad H4 with the same mp back, but with 16bit. The Hasselblad one looks significantly better on most any monitor. Also although not pictured "with" the upcoming H5 to be released in about two months - both Hasselblad and Mamiya are working on digital backs (both companies are working on at least two variations each) that will far exceed even 16bit. Also in terms of megapixels, expect both of those same mentioned companies to offer backs exceeding 105mp in about eighteen months, perhaps in much less time
11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Do you notice any added ability to push the files harder during PP?
11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
D0n
Banned

how many bits per color can be useful when post processing, but truthfully the best human vision can only see ten million colors, most humans fall far short of that... and iit doesn't make a rats ass worth of difference when viewing or printing at 8 bits of color (most end uses are 8 bit) as long as the right 8 bits are kept...

if you shoot at 48 bits, then you final output will most likely be at 8 bits... so as long as the camera is keeping the right 8 bits, you'll never know the difference between 8 bit and 14 bit files so comparing 12 to 14 is inconsequential....
unless you're spending your time looking at specs and charts rather than taking photos..