Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

How does DSLR shutter works?

Hi, maybe this is a strange question

How is the shutter operated in a DSLR? I mean, i know the curtains stuff etc. etc. but what cocks it and operate the mirror from one shot to another? in the old days it was a finger moving a lever, then the winder [integrated or not] electric motor...but now?

02-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much the same I believe. Electric motor driven.
02-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Electric motor which energizes the shutter right after it is released.
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All Pentax AF cameras employ pretty much the same approach where a single motor will cock the shutter and drive the mirror down (instead of up) right after the exposure. They are rather reliable but occassionally some models might use weaker plastic gears which crack more often. The ZX/MZ series is one example (so Pentax later issued a brass mirror motor gear but already too late because the labour was be too high to replace it).