Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Multi Mount Pentax, K+

Day 51 on Project F.OM.CY.K.AR.

Date: 13 Nov 2012, Rainy.

Today is the last day of the project before K+ will be made known to others. It has been a hard time keeping it under wraps.
Even from other local Pentaxians I know. Recalling back, K+ was created from jealousy. Yes.
JEALOUSY
A feeling no stranger to many photographers.
Think about that budget exploding lens, that raved full-frame DSLR or even that “I-think-I-can-do-that-too” contest winning shot that won first prize in the competition you participated. Each of them just could spark jealousy. My jealousy did not come from all that. Instead, the surge of new mirrorless cameras a few years back, enthralling with them their ability to use adapters for different camera mount lenses led to it. As I later discovered, Canon DSLR users already had this luxury.
I self-pited but bear no complains or regrets.

Pentax backward compatibility has been awesome for me, with thousands of lenses out there to choose from. Even M42 ones are possible.
Pentax’s tweaking of the image sensor has been excellent too.
But I wanted more.
I wanted lenses from other mounts to use on my Pentax K-r, for its compactness, excellent handling,
great performance at high ISO sensor and the fact that I am an “alternative” brand user.

So exactly 50 days ago,
this exhilarating CBA (Camera Buying Addition) and LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) journey began,
starting off with a faulty AF Pentax K-x, followed by a series of buying and scrutinising cameras and lenses from brands I had little knowledge about in the creation of K+.

Absence makes the heart grows fonder, jealousy makes the mind does wonder.

K+ was the name I gave to my creation.
“K” for the originating Pentax’s K mount I used and “+” for the added capability of multi-mount it now possessed.
I wanted to name it “FOMCYKAR”, a joined word for all the mounts it could accept but it was too incoherent to make it a name. K+ was much easier.

No adapters are required, just hassle-free direct mount for the above mounts.
K+ isn’t much different from its original K mount as the modifications (lots of filing, sanding with a Dremel tool) are done on the underside metal areas.

~~~

Many would think that the ability to use different camera mounts’ lenses on my Pentax through K+ was influential in my photographic journey.Indeed it was but only to a small extent.
The major impact was actually the short journey in creating K+.
Within 50 days, I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and many new experiences.

Ebay here I come!
With limited places to get inexpensive used cameras and lenses locally, I knew the only place was to go was Ebay and had to use a purchase agent to send them back to me.
Started off with some really, really poor buys but I later learnt progressively on how to get some really good deals I wanted well within my limited budget.
Some totally new experiences I had there.

Outside Pentax.

I was always “in” my Pentax system and rarely looked at others but K+ gave me the reason to venture out and surprise myself with other systems.

- Nikon’s F mount anti-clockwise mounting direction different from others.
- Olympus’s DOF (Depth Of Field) preview function designed into every OM lenses.
- Yashica’s lenses ability to mount on Contax SLR and their sharing of technology.
- Konica’s outstanding quality lenses used by Japan Industry Ministry to judge produced lenses from other manufacturers.
- Minolta’s relatively smaller camera mount diameter that could go into a Pentax K mount totally.
- Fujica’s relative larger than others camera mount diameter and its highly regard EBC coating that rivalled Pentax’s SMC.

Engineer?
To get K+ to work, I dipped myself into the pool of technical knowledge, researching on how film register distance of different camera mounts affects focus zones and its ability to focus to infinity. Through understanding different methods used by different systems to secure a lens onto its camera mount and how auto-aperture (OM lens) will affect the lens’ usage when adapted, I had to rack my brains to come up with easy and ingenious solutions to make and its adapted lenses work conveniently for its user.

Self portraits.
Of course not me but the different lenses on K+ mount.

Left: Nikon Nikkor S.C Auto 50mm F1.4 (Pre-AI) on K-r with Nikkormat behind.
Right: Nikon Nikkor AF 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 D on K-x (AF-D) with N90s behind.

Taken with Nikon Nikkor AF 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 D on K-x
~

Left: Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto-Macro 50mm f3.5 on K-r with OM1n.
Right: Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 on K-x with Konica AUTOREFLEX TC behind.

Taken with Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 with K-r.
~

Yashica ML 50mm F2 on K-r, with Contax 167MT and Yashica FX-3 behind.

Taken with Yashica ML 50mm F2 on K-r
~~~

The past 50 days have been an exciting one, learning new things everyday I work on this project and getting joy from looking at other shutterbugs
with perplexed looks on their faces when they see my Pentax K-x/K-r and its adapted lens.

Just as I wonder if anyone else would like my K+ as much as I do, now it’s 1 more great reason why I like my Pentax.
Would you?