Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Do we ever get concrete sales numbers to analyze how a product did? Or is that data closely guarded by the manufacturers?
You can sometimes take a look at sales for Amazon and get their numbers.

Back on topic, I think the offering of a special use body without the AA filter was outside the box thinking as was the K-01 being a mirroless with k-mount. Canon did something with the 60D by optimizing it for infrared to cater to the astro crowd. At least is getting back to the theme, "Dare to Be Different."

11-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douf Quote
Well it's worked for me. I bought a K10D in 2007 and have had some happy solid shooting over the years, however it was starting to show its age and finally started playing up between shots (turning off momentarily - enough to miss important shots).

I was very tempted to upgrade in 2010 with the K5 but held off as I justified the fact that I can still take good photos with the K10D when there's enough lighting - so I bought a flash instead, problem solved for the interim.

Whilst this release might not be enough of an update to tempt a current K5 owner into getting a II or IIs, it is enough of a bump in my needs to have warranted the upgrade.

Everyone buys things on different cycles - this time I was due, next release will no doubt tempt the K7 owners out there as well as a good proportion of K5 owners. Me? Well I'd say I'm set with my II's for at least another 4-5 years, quite possibly more given the fantastic build quality and weather proofing on Pentax bodies.

Now to get back out there and start shooting...
Have no numbers to back me up on this but my thinking is the majority of users do not upgrade each time a new model comes up. That may not be true amongst folks here, especially some of the more active posters. I am still thinking of a couple of II but not for at least another year, one will be to upgrade my wife's K10D and the other my K-r but it has only about 12000 shoots so still being broken in. One of our existing units will most likely get an IR conversion. AS I have said before, I think this model is aimed at people other than existing K5 owners.