Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #1

Camera Armor for K10D Review!

Well I just received my Camera Armor today and I just wanted to let you guys know how I feel about it for anyone who might be planning on buying this product.

Pros:

- The material is great! you do get an extra grip when you have it on the K10D.
- LCD Protector is pretty clear.
- Lens mount is very roomy and does not make it hard to switch lens.
- Memory Card is still accessible.
- If you have the eyecup magnifier it will hide the diopter so it wont get in the way.

Cons:

- My experience everything is a little to tight espeically on the power switch i had to cut up some rubber so it will be easier for me to turn on.
- Even though you can still press the buttons like menu, function, etc its not as easy as pressing it without it.
- the switch for Manual, continuous and single focusing seems pretty hard to access like the power switch.

In conclusion the Camera Armor for the K10D seems a little rush to be honest, when compared to the nikon and canon camera armor the buttons and switch has more room for you to get into, I will be using this armor someday but not for everyday shooting. it will be good for trips or any shooting where you will be running a lot i guess. if you like to press the buttons on your k10D then it will take you longer thats for sure, its good for automatic shooting. The Camera Armor is not a must have for the K10D user but if you are really into not damaging your gear then this is good for you.

Overall 6.5/10 it will be be a 9/10 to be honest if wasn't for the hard to access switches ergonomics is important to me.

Last edited by dancel; 02-11-2008 at 11:17 PM.
02-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #2

As this has been low on the priority list for sometime. I have been waiting to hear some feedback or see one in the local shop first. Reading about the focus switch is almost a deal breaker by itself for me, as I do you that switch fairly often and don't want to have to fiddle. Now I'll have to wait to see one now before I further consider it. Live view is the only way I'll buy it now.
02-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lens Armor

As I understand it, the Camera Armor includes the Lens Armor. What is your opinion of the lens armor especially as a sun shade?
Thanks,
Brian
02-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I just got one too and in some areas it seems to fit well, but in other areas not so much. The large dial on the back that you use to choose spot, matrix, etc. is very hard to turn. I also don't like that the lettering telling you what the controls do is covered over. Some controls I know well because I use all the time, others not so much.

I like the LCD cover, but not enough to keep the armor on. I also am not really thrilled with the smell. It may just be me but it smells of chemical rubber. I am also concerned about water or moisture getting between it and the camera. The camera maybe sealed, but it moisture doesn't dry I would worry about mold or something.

I also don't like the lens part. I think it is big and honking. I guess you could say its ugly and it smells funny!

Robert

02-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #5

I've just recently seen the armor become available for the K10, but with the weather sealing that the K10 has I haven't been tempted to purchase the armor. After reading your experience with it I doubt that I will be tempted to buy the armor until the manufacturer has had time to update how it's made based on feedback from customers.

To protect my LCD I purhcased a Delkin E-Film Popup Shade, then removed the popup part of the shade which leaves a very clear cover over your LCD that does not interfer with any of the controls and does an excellent job of protecting the LCD itself from scratching. Ritz Camera carries them for $19.99 US
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well, I don't think the armor is for weather proofing. It is more for when the camera gets knocked in to something. It protects the camera from getting scratched up and the like. It also makes it grippy so that you are less likely to drop it. However, neither of these is a good enough reason with the way the thing fits.

Robert
05-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for your evaluation

05-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

works for K20D too?

Thanks for the mini-review.

Can I assume that this works for the K20D as well? Isn't the K20D's body form identical to the K10D's?

Will
05-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one and would love it except it attracts dog hair like a magnetic and rain gets under it and you have to remove it to make sure you get your camera dry.
05-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Thanks for the mini-review.

Can I assume that this works for the K20D as well? Isn't the K20D's body form identical to the K10D's?

Will
Considering that the LCD on the K20D is bigger, you have a problem there. Also, I would guess that not all the buttons are exactly on the same place but I sold my K10Ds, so I can't be sure.
05-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mauricio Quote
Considering that the LCD on the K20D is bigger, you have a problem there. Also, I would guess that not all the buttons are exactly on the same place but I sold my K10Ds, so I can't be sure.
OK, thanks, Mauricio. Well, I'll wait. I tend to be pretty gentle with my cameras and I try to stay out of war zones, so I don't suppose I need body armor just yet. ;-)

Will
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Next the cameras will be wanting their own room. How did photographers survive without armor?