Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Coming from a D80, the thing you might miss is the enthusiast level handling over the K30, though the K30 is no slouch with as many fast access buttons and 2 scroll wheels.

Lots of turn-coats linger here on PF trying to dissuade ppl from buying a Pentax and spouting nonsense and half truths. (how come the mods allow this??)
Let me put the advantages in point form :

1. K30 (weather sealed; shake reduction)
2. Cheaper than the equivalent you can find on a Nikon (if there was one)
3. K5/D7K quality sensor (and in fact better than D7K at high iso with its blotchy yellow patches)

Fast 35mm? - DA35/2.4 or FA35/2 (or a 3rd party Sigma 30/1.4). Pentax is not just about fast lenses for the sake of being fast. Its also about being well built and small (which the DA35/2.4 is)

Wireless flash - yes, K30 supports it with a external flash that has it (eg. Pentax, Metz, Sigma flashes); and it works well enough in PTTL mode. Those who said otherwise just got older models or have not even tried.
Anyway, if you want RF wireless instead of optical wireless, just get a cheap ebay wireless trigger.

AF is fast and accurate on the K30. Unlike those who made a comment dissuading you from getting one who don't even have a newer model, I have used both the K5 and K30 (and even have a 5D). I even have regular access to D90 and D7K through some friends.
K30 is certainly decisive in low light, accurate and fast enough in AF for the enthusiast.

In the end though, its up to you.
There are many good cameras out there circa 2012, but there is no prefect camera.
The differences boils down to what you deem more important for your hobby, so its a matter of preference over absolute right/wrong.

11-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Every lens is stabilized Need I say more?

Even with the D800 you can't get any stabilized primes under 100mm...
Yes, so if Pentax ever develops a fast 35, like the OP likes so much, it would automatically be stabilised! Jeeejjj...
11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

3. K5/D7K quality sensor (and in fact better than D7K at high iso with its blotchy yellow patches)
Never had Blotchy yellow patches with my D7K.

Image quality on those cams is the same. K5, K30 Alpha 580, D7K, NEX 5N etc... Nobody can tell the difference.

I still have my K5 and love to use it but the reason why i went to nikon is simple. A system that has alot more lenses, support and availability. I use my gear professionaly and i want to be sure about what i invest in. I started with a D7000 after my k5 and bought several lenses that are all FF compatible because i know that's where i want to go in the very near future. That extra image quality of a D600 or D800 will be a very welcome thing for me and my low light shooting. I shoot alot of dance performances and that's where FF iso performance is something i'm really looking forward to.

And sadly, that's where Pentax can not garantuee me any concrete or foreseeable future. Otherwise my investment wouldnt have shifted.
Altough The autofocus and flash system couldnt satisfy me either but it's something i was working myself around. My K5 time i was shooting manual only on Event shootings.

Last edited by ZizZ^; 11-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.
11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Great post by Heie.

A few more cents:
  • Pentax lens prices have been great and the recent "Black Friday" sale shows that there is hope that either a) Pentax will come to their senses again or b) you can get good prices during sales like these.
  • The Pentax flash system is not (yet?) as sophisticated as that from Canikon but real strobists shoot flash in manual mode anyhow. Having said that, with the Phottix Odin triggers there is a very nice third-party option for Canikon to control flash power remotely that isn't available for Pentax yet. However, there have been reports that Phottix is working on a Pentax version.
P.S.: A full-frame option from Pentax to upgrade to, should that interest you, will become available in due course.

11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
I have a Canon 60D and the K5 certainly surpasses the built quality of its price-class by a good amount. (Canon 60D and K5 classic roughly at the same price right now). Also and I have had Nikon before I switched to Canon a couple of years back, the built quality of the Pentax lenses I have seen was fantastic - Nikon was ok and Canon is just plain crappy.
11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Golaboots Quote
Hi

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting how Nikon is seen on here. The D80 marked a low point for Nikon matrix metering apparently. It basically just goes for whatever focus point is active. You can learn to live with it but it slows things down.

Interesting that there's no 35mm 1.8 lens for Pentax, a fast normal prime is surely a staple lens.
I'll be rooting round the reviews on here for a bit. It will probably come down to laziness on my part, can I be bothered to sell body, 2 lenses and flash on ebay or just a body!

I like Pentax's approach though. Not afraid of thinking outside the box, something Canon haven't done for years!
did the guy ever say why he really wants the Penatx or for what type of photography...are we discussing with ourselfes for a long time now...
11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Golaboots Quote
Interesting that there's no 35mm 1.8 lens for Pentax, a fast normal prime is surely a staple lens.
Pentax has the fantastic FA 31/1.8 Ltd.

BTW, a 35m is not a normal lens.

On APS-C, the best integer fit for a "normal lens" focal length is 28mm. The 31/1.8 will be a good approximation of that. If you need something cheaper you can go for the Sigma 30/1.4 or Sigma 28/1.8, both great lenses in their own right.

11-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax has the fantastic FA 31/1.8 Ltd.

BTW, a 35m is not a normal lens.

On APS-C, the best integer fit for a "normal lens" focal length is 28mm. The 31/1.8 will be a good approximation of that. If you need something cheaper you can go for the Sigma 30/1.4 or Sigma 28/1.8, both great lenses in their own right.

Beside there is also

a 35 f2
a 35 f2.4
and a 35 f2.8 macro

so that makes 4 35 mm lenses, I think that is enough. I am more missing a 85mm lens?
11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
did the guy ever say why he really wants the Penatx or for what type of photography...are we discussing with ourselfes for a long time now...
If the guy doesn't come back, we all know where to find him, in the Nikon forums.