Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CMOS Sensor - K20d

What is the advantage over the sensor in my k10d as opposed to the CMOS sensor in the K20d? From my reading on this, there is improved noise reduction, but I haven't noticed much noise at all at my higher ISO photos in limited light.

I am wrestling over the notion of upgrading this camera, but I allready bought in last December and still getting to know it.

- David

02-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, here's the quick and easy. You get good noise now at ISO 1600 right? Now imagine that same noise but at ISO 3200, giving you the extra shutter speed. How about yet another stop with ISO 6400? Of course, I'm just making an assumption at the exact noise levels, but I doubt they are all that far off.
02-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I hope all these assumptions are right. Seems everyone is assuming an awful lot about a camera thats isn't out or been tested by an imparcial tester....Bob
02-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
What is the advantage over the sensor in my k10d as opposed to the CMOS sensor in the K20d? From my reading on this, there is improved noise reduction, but I haven't noticed much noise at all at my higher ISO photos in limited light.

I am wrestling over the notion of upgrading this camera, but I allready bought in last December and still getting to know it.

- David
if you havent noticed much noise at K10D's iso 1600, then you havent seen or used competition cameras...

give the K100D atleast a try, you'll see what i mean.

02-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I hope all these assumptions are right. Seems everyone is assuming an awful lot about a camera thats isn't out or been tested by an imparcial tester....Bob
This is not based on assumptions, just check out all the samples out there. They are already very good despite using beta firmware.
02-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think I'll wait until I see a review done by an an imparcial tester....Bob
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To be honest, I think I trust my eyes more that those "testers".
Some of them don't use the camera the way we all do - for example, dpreview's Phil insists on testing on all default settings. While this may be valid for new users, it does not apply to me at all. And the recent "review" article at digitalcamerainfo is such a joke.

If the ISO 3200 looks usable to me, that would be good for my purpose. I don't need a plotted noise graph to tell me that.

02-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmmm... Well you'll never find an impartial tester as everyone has their personal opinions thrown into the mix when reviewing a camera, which is unfortunate, but true.

You should make the assumption from what you personally see and not always base on what a tester thinks, because the tester is human and makes errors not too mention never really test the camera like you would use it.

To the OP the sensor has a lot of neat tricks. It can TTL off the sensor during live view, it has a resolution that surpasses the lenses allowing for better overall resolution, the pixel size is large even the density is higher and allows for cleaner ISO at an expanded range. I think if you really sit down and look at the images from the K20D sensor you'll see the big difference between it and the one in a K10D or K100D.