Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Marketplace Reseller

EV and ISO

I shoot a lot indoors and in poorly lit situations. Not to mention my dog has black fur, which is impossible to get in low light.

I've been trying lately to compensate for this lack of light by increasing the EV on my k-5. The issue I've had is that as I increase the exposure, the ISO value also kicks up, automatically (I usually shoot in tAV mode), and in the end the picture doesn't 'lighten', but rather is now grainier. What should I be doing?

11-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't shoot in TAv mode but instead lock the aperture at close to wide-open in Av, fix the ISO at something with minimal noise (i.e. ISO 800-1600) and then use the EV shift to make your image brighter. The K-5's SR should allow you to get good results at as little as 1/20s hand-held.

Also, make sure you're shooting in raw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Further to Adam's (as usual) top flight comment, try spot metering the dog's fur and adding two stops of exposure (EV + 2.0). This is a warped take on Ansel Adams' zone system, and should get you in the ball park for starters. Tweak until the fur looks the way it should.
11-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Further to Adam's (as usual) top flight comment, try spot metering the dog's fur and adding two stops of exposure (EV + 2.0). This is a warped take on Ansel Adams' zone system, and should get you in the ball park for starters. Tweak until the fur looks the way it should.
I'm confused. Wouldn't you go -2 EV on the exposure compensation? I think he wants his dog's fur to look black, not 18% grey or something like that.

11-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'm confused. Wouldn't you go -2 EV on the exposure compensation? I think he wants his dog's fur to look black, not 18% grey or something like that.
To be fair, I just wanted to point out its tough to take a picture of a dark subject in low light. Trust me, I have enough pics of my dog.

That said, thanks for the answers everyone. I'll be sure to try out the suggested methods.
11-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, underexpose dark things to keep them dark. The actual meter mode does not really matter. Use a different shooting mode, and just take a test shot and adjust EV according to the result.
11-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another suggestion is the lighting. If you can position a bright light above and just slightly behind the dog it will add a glossy look to the fur and give it more dimension. Just make sure you meter to the subject and not the rim lighting.
11-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

. Yes. mumble. With my "solution" the dog would come out white or light grey. I get so confused ....