Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #1

will other flashes fit?

Sorry if this is easy to find with the search function, but right now that isn't working right for me (I think it's this computer).

Will a flash from a brand other than Pentax fit/function correctly? I think i remember reading somewhere that a film flash may not work right (voltage differences if I remember right, but I may be wrong), but what about other DLSR flashes? I just found out I may need one for tommorrow, and noone around here carries Pentax gear in stock.

Thanks!

02-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
Sorry if this is easy to find with the search function, but right now that isn't working right for me (I think it's this computer).

Will a flash from a brand other than Pentax fit/function correctly? I think i remember reading somewhere that a film flash may not work right (voltage differences if I remember right, but I may be wrong), but what about other DLSR flashes? I just found out I may need one for tommorrow, and noone around here carries Pentax gear in stock.

Thanks!
I tend to do most flash stuff off camera. with that in mind, you could get away with just about any flash that has a pc sync. provided you pick up a pc to hotshoe adapter and a pc sync cord.

I personally wouldn't stick a flash on my camera unless I knew it was built for a Pentax camera. Which in my current collection would be a sigma 530 super (pentax specific). Your best bet for your time constraint would be the sync.
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote

Thanks!
there are multiple issues.

as jshurak mentioned, compatibility of flash voltage can be a big issue.

also, you would need (perhaps want is a better word here but I'll stick with need) a flash which has an "Auto" mode and built in sensor, and let the flash then calculate exposure based upon F-Stop and ISO settings.

I would buy a flash bracket and hot shoe adaptor, also as jshurak mentioned

If you cannot get a shoe adaptor and cable, look to get a slave unit, and mount the other flash on top of the slave, and use the pop up flash to trigger the slave

You should set the pop up in this case to min power manual flash, i.e. just enough light to get yur flash to trigger, but not influence the shot. if you leave the camera on P-TTL the preflash will trigger the slave before the shutter is open.
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I will have to see what is available in town tonight and try to follow y'alls recomendations. I knew I shouldn't keep putting off purchasing a decent flash, and now it has caught up to me.

Thanks again!

02-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote

I personally wouldn't stick a flash on my camera unless I knew it was built for a Pentax camera. Which in my current collection would be a sigma 530 super (pentax specific). Your best bet for your time constraint would be the sync.
Hi jshurak

Can I assume that any flash designed for a Pentax camera is OK on a K10D? I have a Metz 32Z-2 flash gun and a SCA 374/2AF adaptor I used for several years with my MZ-5 (ZX-5). The pin layout is the same on both cameras and I find the flash works fine as a manual one when fitted to the K10D, it even operates the red focus assist beam which is a bonus. Trigger voltage is fine at 3.9 volts so really I'm need assurance that the other pins on the flash are not likely to damage the camera. I'm probably being a bit fussy but any comment you have will be welcome.

Regards
Brian