Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How to remove my hot shoe cover from my K10D ?

Just got a Pentax 360 flash, but I'm baffled as to how to remove the hot shoe cover. I've tried pushing down, gently and then pulling it towards the back of the camera...but I don't want to put much pressure on it.

Any ideas ?

02-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Point the camera lens-forwards and pull the tab back towards you. You do not need to push down, it slides out like a drawer. That said, there is resistance but it does not (or rather "should not") require too much effort.
02-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks bt*ist...talk about quick service. Much appreciated.
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The hot shoe cover is held in place by pressure from a flat spring pushing the cover against the top of the shoe. Don't apply any downward force - it only increases the friction caused by the spring pressure.

I've found it easier to remove the hot shoe cover by turning the camera around facing towards me, and Pushing the cover straight towards the rear with my thumbs. I get more leverage that way.
Make sure you have a clear floor around you - the first time I did it, the hot shoe cover went flying and I had to search for it.

It will require less force after you have removed/ replaced the cover a few times.

Also be careful when mounting the 360 flash - slide it straight in pushing the bottom end of the flash, not the top or the center of the flash - otherwise the plastic mount bottom may crack in the long run.

02-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The hot shoe cover is held in place by pressure from a flat spring pushing the cover against the top of the shoe. Don't apply any downward force - it only increases the friction caused by the spring pressure.

I've found it easier to remove the hot shoe cover by turning the camera around facing towards me, and Pushing the cover straight towards the rear with my thumbs. I get more leverage that way.
Make sure you have a clear floor around you - the first time I did it, the hot shoe cover went flying and I had to search for it.

It will require less force after you have removed/ replaced the cover a few times.

Also be careful when mounting the 360 flash - slide it straight in pushing the bottom end of the flash, not the top or the center of the flash - otherwise the plastic mount bottom may crack in the long run.
Thanks for the info. I mounted my 360 for the first time and you're right you do have to be careful. I had trouble lining it up with the mount, aging eyes and foot and mount are both black.
02-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The great thing about the hotshoe cover is it is one of the first things you will lose, and then you won't ever have to worry about it again.
02-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Call me crazy, but I think my K10D looks odd ("naked"?) without the cover in place. I already lost it twice, but fortunately managed to find it again after a few days each time.