Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Viewfinder info readability K-30 vs k-5

For those who have used or have both cameras, would you say that the readability of the viewfinder info is the same? Or is the K-30 dimmer than the K-5 in bright sunlight for example?

Just wondering if the lower price of the K-30 is reflected on this .

TIA

12-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
For those who have used or have both cameras, would you say that the readability of the viewfinder info is the same? Or is the K-30 dimmer than the K-5 in bright sunlight for example?

Just wondering if the lower price of the K-30 is reflected on this .

TIA
It's the same. And while we're at it, both cameras have equally-bright 100% pentaprism VF's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam! I am aware of the specs of both cameras, but of course there could be differences in how the info is displayed, in terms of brightness I mean.

I'm may be upgrading from the K-r, so like many others I'm torn between the almost similarly priced two. My first priority is better AF (I've read the K-30 review btw), so I'm leaning towards the K-30. It's just that the other features of the K-5 is hard to ignore.

And no, the K-5II is over my budget .

Thanks again.
12-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 won't have a top LCD. - But then again, you're upgrading from a K-r which doesn't even have one, so you won't have much to miss out on. You can't go wrong with either.

12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The K-30 won't have a top LCD. - But then again, you're upgrading from a K-r which doesn't even have one, so you won't have much to miss out on. You can't go wrong with either.
Thanks. I originally used a DS, so I kind of missed it when I switched to the K-r . But it's something you get used to anyway, having or not having it.

Decisions, decisions
12-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, I'd definitely go with the K-30. The K-5 is behind the K-30 in some areas, like video, general playback/LV performance, so you might as well go with the newer body if you're upgrading from the K-r.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, I'd definitely go with the K-30. The K-5 is behind the K-30 in some areas, like video, general playback/LV performance, so you might as well go with the newer body if you're upgrading from the K-r.
The thing is I really don't do video. Haven't really used it since I got the K-r 2 years ago, maybe 3 clips only .

But maybe that would change. It's better to have a better tool for it.

Would you believe I have to convince my wife that I'd rather get the cheaper K-30?
12-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The thing is I really don't do video. Haven't really used it since I got the K-r 2 years ago, maybe 3 clips only .

But maybe that would change. It's better to have a better tool for it.

Would you believe I have to convince my wife that I'd rather get the cheaper K-30?
k30 and k5 viewfinders are the same as far as I can see---(have both) K30 RAW buffer is much smaller than K5 - 8 or 9 vs 24 or 25, but if you use manual focus, the focus peaking on the K30 is very good. Battery life on K5 is much better, I suppose apart from a smaller battery, using the rear LCD for status display vs the small top lcd on the K5 uses more power.
I got a K30 as a back up whilst my K5 is away for repair and at the current price you can't go wrong!

12-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
k30 and k5 viewfinders are the same as far as I can see---(have both) K30 RAW buffer is much smaller than K5 - 8 or 9 vs 24 or 25, but if you use manual focus, the focus peaking on the K30 is very good. Battery life on K5 is much better, I suppose apart from a smaller battery, using the rear LCD for status display vs the small top lcd on the K5 uses more power.
I got a K30 as a back up whilst my K5 is away for repair and at the current price you can't go wrong!
Thanks for your input. The K-30 in my country is still in the US$900 range, so it's not a total bargain .

Though it deviates from the original question, I have to ask because at this moment, only the upgraded AF module of the K-30 is a plus (for my needs at least):

Is the K-30 AF better (not necessarily faster, but more accurate) than the K-5?

I've read the reviews. Controlled environment stats show it's inconclusive (some better results, some worst). But subjective (even the Imaging-Resource review says this) analysis says it is better.

I may sound a like splitting hairs now, but coming from the K-r and it's focusing *ahem* issues in tungsten light, I just want to be sure that choosing the K-30 primarily due to the new AF module is a right choice.
12-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for your input. The K-30 in my country is still in the US$900 range, so it's not a total bargain .

Though it deviates from the original question, I have to ask because at this moment, only the upgraded AF module of the K-30 is a plus (for my needs at least):

I've read the reviews. Controlled environment stats show it's inconclusive (some better results, some worst). But subjective (even the Imaging-Resource review says this) analysis says it is better.

I may sound a like splitting hairs now, but coming from the K-r and it's focusing *ahem* issues in tungsten light, I just want to be sure that choosing the K-30 primarily due to the new AF module is a right choice.
The af on the K30 feels better (faster and more consistent), I've had less problems in low light, and tracking in af-c works- but it is a very subjective thing and I haven't had the k30 long enough to be really sure. At the weekend I shot some horse and rider shots with the K30, and only one missed focus.Certainly no problems in tungsten, but then my K5 doesn't have either. In tricky situations, I tend to manual focis and focus peaking is a definite plus for the K30. In fact I find I don't miss the magnifying viewfinder I have on the K5 at all!
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The PDAF is about the same: both cameras perform well. The k-30 has significantly better CDAF inherited from the K-01.

Adam

12-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The K-30 VF info line is definitely brighter than the K100D and still retains the 2 levels of brightness depending on subject lighting so you have to be careful of that when comparing with another body.

K-30 AF is snappy generally, but very low light still shows a bit of hesitation with my 35/2.4 and Sigma 17-70 screw drive lenses. You can set AF-S to release priority though if you want to gamble a bit, generally it will be in focus close to where you want if you hurry it up by fully pressing the shutter after the main lens movement (I'm getting rather good at judging this - well worth practising) or if you notice it's beginning to struggle. It's deadly accurate in all levels and types of lighting when it locks though, no K-r type of issues.
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input .

I have until weekend to decide, so I'll ponder over this.