Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Leica M8 Full-Frame announced at PMA !

Hi all

I just picked up the latest edition of Amateur Photographer Magazine (16th February) and read the following headline:

QuoteQuote:
Leica hints at full-frame camera. Read our exclusive news report from the PMA photo trade show in Las Vegas.
Apparently the forthcoming M8 is slated for release THIS year......so first it was C***n (1DSMk II/5D), then N***n (D3),
S**y (A900) coming later this year and now L***a (M8)......C'mon Pentax, how about it...where's YOUR FF DSLR ??????

Best regards
Richard

02-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, WHERE is PENTAX?? n/t

NO TEXT!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

I just picked up the latest edition of Amateur Photographer Magazine (16th February) and read the following headline:

Apparently the forthcoming M8 is slated for release THIS year......so first it was C***n (1DSMk II/5D), then N***n (D3),
S**y (A900) coming later this year and now L***a (M8)......C'mon Pentax, how about it...where's YOUR FF DSLR ??????

Best regards
Richard
02-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax is waiting for the ripe moment to release a $2K FF, to trump the whole opposition lot
02-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Full frame sensor or not. I want better auto focus, faster sync speed, and frames per second. Pentax already trumps the comp in everything IMO.

02-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Banned

I really don't understand this obsession people seem to have with FF sensors.
02-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh my god here we go again.

FF = amazing IQ with certain compromises
APS-C = amazing IQ different compromises
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

True, but also...

For Leica it is an absolute necessity to provide the highest possible image quality in a 35mm body money can buy. So, they really got no other option but go FF.

But look at their price range, too

02-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

02-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shudder to think what a Leica FF will cost.
02-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Seamus

Re your comment:
QuoteQuote:
Please forgive the inept analogy, but imagine that you had become accustomed to driving around in a luxurious V8 engined vehicle and out-of-the-blue your local dealership turned up on your doorstep with an asthmatic 4-cylinder replacement ?
I'm certain there must be many long-suffering Pentax film enthusiasts out there who are patiently waiting for an opportunity to use their superb wide-angle lenses on a Pentax Full-Frame DSLR body WITHOUT having to worry about the unavoidable 1.5 x Focal Length Crop Factor which an APS-C sensor forces upon them.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-14-2008 at 07:22 AM.
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Seamus

Re your comment:

Please forgive the inept analogy, but imagine that you had become accustomed to driving around in a luxurious V8 engined vehicle and out-of-the-blue your local dealership turned up on your doorstep with an asthmatic 4-cylinder replacement ?
I'm certain there must be many long-suffering Pentax film enthusiasts out there who are patiently waiting for an opportunity to use their superb wide-angle lenses on a Pentax Full-Frame DSLR body WITHOUT having to worry about the unavoidable 1.5 x Focal Length Magnification Factor which an APS-C sensor forces upon them.

Best regards
Richard
when will people learn

its not magnification

if you look at something, and close one of your eyes, did the world magicaly get bigger? no, you just see less.
02-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
I really don't understand this hatred people seem to have for people with an obsession with FF sensors.

02-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
I really don't understand this hatred people seem to have for people with an obsession with FF sensors.
Leica actually solved this:

Rumors tell that the FF sensor will also be offered as an upgrade for existing M8 users.

Now imagine that there would be an FF upgrade option to the K10D/K20D ... Would anybody still have any objections? Esp. as DA lenses would give the same images, just not use the full upgrade benefit.

I also believe Leica never released the equivalent to DA lenses but I am not sure.
02-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote

I've come across a few humorous posts (which could conceivably be insulting to some) with various derogatory descriptions of FF fanatics. If we are patient, we may be blessed with just such a post on this thread.
02-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
I have never understood the obsession some people have for Leica cameras. How can a camera with such limitations be worth $5k and more?