Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #31
Inactive Account

I just wish the M8 was a Single Lens Reflex instead of a rangefinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Short answer - because people will pay $5k for it.

Long answer - Leica has a long history (some of it inflated by mythology) of building durable, hand-crafted, unique instruments. It is like asking why a Rolex is worth $5,000 when you can buy a Timex for $50. They both tell the time and fit on your wrist. But they are not the same animal.
I think there are more people prepared to buy a Single Lens Reflex with the same "think" behind it for $5k than there are buyers of the M8. But today no one can buy such a thing regardless of any price.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/20667-poll-basic-b...d-limited.html

02-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
I really don't understand this hatred people seem to have for people with an obsession with FF sensors.

I don't believe I said anything about hating anyone. You shouldn't assume things.
02-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Seamus

Re your comment:

Please forgive the inept analogy, but imagine that you had become accustomed to driving around in a luxurious V8 engined vehicle and out-of-the-blue your local dealership turned up on your doorstep with an asthmatic 4-cylinder replacement ?
I'm certain there must be many long-suffering Pentax film enthusiasts out there who are patiently waiting for an opportunity to use their superb wide-angle lenses on a Pentax Full-Frame DSLR body WITHOUT having to worry about the unavoidable 1.5 x Focal Length Magnification Factor which an APS-C sensor forces upon them.

Best regards
Richard
I don't care for luxury of any kind, (I still carry around a K1000) and I do in fact drive a four cylinder, but I understand where your going with this analogy. but there is no magnification factor with APS-C, It is a crop factor.
02-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi seamuis

Re your observation:
QuoteQuote:
There is no magnification factor with APS-C, It is a crop factor.
Apologies ! OP amended as suggested....

Best regards
Richard

02-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
T No longer could they advertise their DSLRs, "Support every lens we ever made."
That's not true even now. You can't mount 110-format Pentax lenses on a K10D
02-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi eurostar

QuoteQuote:
You can't mount 110-format Pentax lenses on a K10D
With due respect, why on earth would anyone wish to do that, apart from trying to prove a point ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
02-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
That's not true even now. You can't mount 110-format Pentax lenses on a K10D
By the way, I've mounted a Pentax 50/2.8 110 lens via a third-party M42 adapter on my Pentax DSLRs. The lens is very, very bad. Trust me on this one - Pentax doesn't want to advertise their 110 lenses in the digital age!

02-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiss Quote
I am curious. Why?

If I could get a digital rangefinder (any brand, I am not a Leica snob) with 1-2 decent lenses for under $1k, I'd get one in a heartbeat and probably never look back at an SLR again. But then that is just me, I imagine people would prefer SLRs for telephotos/macros etc.
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #39
Banned

I never thought about 110 lenses, I own an auto110 and mounting one of those on a 35mm/digital SLR never crossed my mind. I think pentax refers to 35mm SLR lenses when it says "any pentax lens ever made." though I could be mistaken.
02-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I have never understood the obsession some people have for Leica cameras. How can a camera with such limitations be worth $5k and more?
I also never understood why there are some people out there for just showing him the current time, they bought $20k watch.
As a matter of a fact, my $20 watch does so has the same capabilities. Even my nephew's watch ($40) can play DivX and MP3 as well.

kyrios
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi kyrios

You're missing the whole point. Its not about 'capabilities', it's more about perception and image !

Best regards
Richard
02-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Please forgive the inept analogy, but imagine that you had become accustomed to driving around in a luxurious V8 engined vehicle and out-of-the-blue your local dealership turned up on your doorstep with an asthmatic 4-cylinder replacement ?
But how about replacing your "luxurious V8" with a BMW twin turbo 6 cylinder ? I won't mind that one bit
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Now imagine that there would be an FF upgrade option to the K10D/K20D ... Would anybody still have any objections?
And imagine that the upgrade would probably cost more than a new body....
Seriously, they have to change the mirror assembly, the viewfinder, prism, SR mechanism, all the electronic circuitry, CPU, Image processing engine - yes, the whole body! And all these at custom "hand built" cost instead of a more efficient assembly plants for new bodies.
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiss Quote
Now, that's an interesting point!

You made me think whether the genuine advantages of SLR are that significant in the digital world.

Initially, with the mirror construction one could see through the lens with the viewfinder and also replace the lens.

However, with sensor technology improving more and more, an electronic viewfinder (with some sort of live view) may soon be superior to a purely optical viewfinder (ok, not today, but some day...). For instance, it could be brighter, sharper, etc.

Once this has happened, a digital rangefinder may be a more intelligent digital camera -- it has a large sensor and removable lens support and a "through-the-lens" viewfinder but without the burden of the mirror which makes stellar wide angle lenses impossible.

So, the opposite may be true: I wished Pentax would offer a 35mm digital rangefinder plus a fully functional converter for SLR lenses.
02-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
I am curious. Why?

But then that is just me, I imagine people would prefer SLRs for telephotos/macros etc.
Exactly. We are all different. I have never really appreciated rangefinders, but if i was a "one body, one lens" kind of photographer, i would have loved it and bought it. I usually move betwen the extremes (well..) wideangle, tele and macro, and i prefer manual operation and manual lenses. But since i want digital workflow, digital images and want to change iso and whitebalance, it should also be digital. Unfortunately there is no camera like "M8 but SLR" to buy, regardles amount of money.