Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #16

hi folks. I want to buy a usb 3.0 microsd/sd card reader. I thinking about

Transcend Card Reader TS-RDF5
or
Kingston MobileLite G3

are there any differences in speed between the two ?
because your test show on 45mb/s with Sandisk Extreme UHS-i but there is and other test with the same card but with the Kingston MobileLite G3 which measured that if can reach 94mb/s - which is again a huge performance gain over your benchmark with TS-RDF5.

I like the Transcend design more. But 50% performance loss over Kingston ???

here is the link:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1977/2/

my micro sdhc card is this one:
Sandisk Extreme UHS-i 8GB

12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Using your parameters, jamesm007, I ran the test 5 times and averaged 17 shots and 21 seconds before buffer was clear(27 seconds overall).
Thank you very much.

I forget to tell I use firmware ver 1.3. I remembered the firmware upgrade to 1.4 was for all Pentax dSLRs at the time and was just for improved SDHC compatibility. Some models were having issues. I also knew you can revert back to older firmware versions with the K20D. I did revert back to ver 1.3, testing shows it is faster in the K20D with some cards. Up to a second or two faster. No, don't do a retest for me. But try 1.3 for your shooting style and see if its not faster. If I had told you of ver 1.3 your times would have been as mine. As the Sandisk exceeds the write times of the K20D.

Thanks again
12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Update: Just acquired 2 additional 16gb Sandisk Extremes and their speeds are consistent with the first one I acquired.
12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Unfortunately this may not be a reliable way of testing for speed - as often Windows does cache/buffer files so that when copying we get extremely high speeds - I have often seen files copy at speed exceeding 90MB/s which I know the cards and USB2.0 reader I have cannot possibly do.

The only reliable way of testing card speed is to use several established and accepted benchmark programs and see if they correlate well.

Of course the most relevant way to test any card is actual usage in the device -
in our case the camera - which is how the OP mdave13 did in the first place, and he shows those in his latest comparison charts.
If you use the same files, yes. But it can't cache what hasn't already been read or written before.

I have a fast SSD on my computer for the drive I was copying from/to the USB3 reader. With cached files to/from the reader I was seeing in excess of 150MB/s.

Different card readers are going to give you different results as well.

12-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
If you use the same files, yes. But it can't cache what hasn't already been read or written before.
Different card readers are going to give you different results as well.
These are all true - but just looking at Windows indicator when copying files may not be the most reliable way to tell speed (I think sometimes Windows may do a read-ahead if one merely clicks on/selects the device/file/directory)

If all you want is to be able to tell when transferring any size file or directory - then try Disk Bench -
that's all it does copies a file or directory of your choice, times it, and calculates the resultant speed -
doing a directory copy of actual photo files may mimic somewhat usage in the camera?
requirement: Net Framework 4.0 installed.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
12-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

FYI, the cheap Patriot EP UHS-1 32 GB card I have does 51 MB/s on sequential read, and 38MB/s on sequential write , using the same Crystal disk mark , 9 passes, 50 MB.
With the K-30, I got 76 RAW shots in 30 seconds. Full recovery time - until the card light went out - was just under 7 seconds after the last shot.

Of course, the K-30 has a higher fps than the K20D, and is the first Pentax camera to officially support UHS-1 .

This 32GB card is only $25.99 at Fry's : FRYS.com
12-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

FYI the USB 3.0 card reader I use is an internal model from Koutech :
Newegg.com - Koutech IO-RCM430 Multi-in-1 USB 3.0 Front Panel Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Hub (3.5")

It reads 3 different types of cards, and also doubles as a USB 3.0 hub .
12-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Oh, and I also have a 64GB Patriot EP UHS-1 . It did 52 MB/s seq read, and 36 MB/s seq write with crystal disk mark.
Did not bother to run it through the camera shutter again, I assume the results would be similar to the 32GB model I tested earlier.

This 64GB UHS-1 card is on sale at Fry's until tomorrow . $27 after rebate.
FRYS.com