Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDHC Card Test #4, Sandisk Extreme Card added with good results

This is a continuation of the card testing in the following threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/206003-sd-hc-memor...omparison.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/206396-more-sdhc-t...g-results.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/207071-sdhc-card-t...sb-reader.html

Received a new SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s [SDSDX-016G-AFFP]. Results of testing it are in the image below.

I was very pleased with the test results which exceeded 45MB/s read and approached that in write time as well in the USB 3.0 reader test. The in camera results were also good at 36 shots in 30 seconds and only 20 seconds more to clear the buffer. However, because the in camera results were not increased by a factor of 2.7 as suggested by the USB card reader test, I believe we have run into the write speed limit of the K20D.

I will probably acquire a couple more of the Sandisk Extremes and make them my primary card.

Attached Images

12-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Most excellent! I wonder if it might not be possible to merge you data from the various threads into one sticky article? I think this sort of info is very valuable, thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
They're what I use and have used since I got my first DSLR, so I guess I've been spoiled. But I'm glad I made the right choice to begin with.
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
This is a continuation of the card testing in the following threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/206003-sd-hc-memor...omparison.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/206396-more-sdhc-t...g-results.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/207071-sdhc-card-t...sb-reader.html

Received a new SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s [SDSDX-016G-AFFP]. Results of testing it are in the image below.

I was very pleased with the test results which exceeded 45MB/s read and approached that in write time as well in the USB 3.0 reader test. The in camera results were also good at 36 shots in 30 seconds and only 20 seconds more to clear the buffer. However, because the in camera results were not increased by a factor of 2.7 as suggested by the USB card reader test, I believe we have run into the write speed limit of the K20D.

I will probably acquire a couple more of the Sandisk Extremes and make them my primary card.
I found the Samsung SDHC 8GB cards the fastest of the cards I own in my K20D. Its really fast in the K20D!
Its write speed of 21MB/sec is fast. The really nice part is its only $12. Trust me, its serious.

8GB microSD Card MB-MP8GA Plus Series | Samsung Memory

12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I found the Samsung SDHC 8GB cards the fastest of the cards I own in my K20D. Its really fast in the K20D!
Its write speed of 21MB/sec is fast. The really nice part is its only $12. Trust me, its serious.

8GB microSD Card MB-MP8GA Plus Series | Samsung Memory
That's great and all but the SanDisk Extreme is nearly 2x as fast and the 16gb card goes for $18-19 shipped.
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The 45MB/s card looks great. There is something amiss with the 30MB/s card though. The couple I have do about the same read speed as you are seeing, but the write speed over double of what you got. I tested with just copying RAW files to/from my computer and the card with Server 2012 giving me the speed in the info box while copying.

They are also really fast in my K10d compared to the card I was originally using for it.

I really need to get some of the faster cards though to see if they make my K10d and K-01 even better.
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I tested with just copying RAW files to/from my computer and the card with Server 2012 giving me the speed in the info box while copying.
Unfortunately this may not be a reliable way of testing for speed - as often Windows does cache/buffer files so that when copying we get extremely high speeds - I have often seen files copy at speed exceeding 90MB/s which I know the cards and USB2.0 reader I have cannot possibly do.

The only reliable way of testing card speed is to use several established and accepted benchmark programs and see if they correlate well.

Of course the most relevant way to test any card is actual usage in the device -
in our case the camera - which is how the OP mdave13 did in the first place, and he shows those in his latest comparison charts.

12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's great and all but the SanDisk Extreme is nearly 2x as fast and the 16gb card goes for $18-19 shipped.
Because in the K20D its only equal in speed. You get the exact amount of shots and time. Its up to you however. Just noting its all in the interface. Yes some cameras will use all that speed of the Sandisk and be better. But in the K20D both cards exceed its write to card ability.
12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Because in the K20D its only equal in speed. You get the exact amount of shots and time. Its up to you however. Just noting its all in the interface. Yes some cameras will use all that speed of the Sandisk and be better. But in the K20D both cards exceed its write to card ability.
The overall cost per Gb is better for the SanDisk, plus you have upward potential if you go with a camera that can read/write faster. I own only a few cards that are not faster than my cameras. It makes upgrading cameras less costly in the long run, plus your computer can take advantage of the faster times thereby lowering your copy onto HD time.
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The overall cost per Gb is better for the SanDisk, plus you have upward potential if you go with a camera that can read/write faster. I own only a few cards that are not faster than my cameras. It makes upgrading cameras less costly in the long run, plus your computer can take advantage of the faster times thereby lowering your copy onto HD time.
I have to agree if you buy it online. I buy in store and did not think Amazon would give that big of a discount. When I was looking in store the cost was much higher. In fact I may buy one...

BTW I really like the tests. Its shows how much cards can vary even if all class 10. You really do have to test them in your device to see which is fastest. Whats strange is the K20D can write at 40MB/sec to a SDHC card (it does so with two cards). The specs at DPR probably really tricked a lot of people. The buffer to SDHC card speed is much higher than stated. Let me restate this. That is not the real write time. I just thought. The camera is writing to the card as you take pics for that 30sec so... I am not sure write now of the overall write time of the K20D as its bed time.

Last edited by jamesm007; 12-04-2012 at 08:46 PM.
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have to agree if you buy it online. I buy in store and did not think Amazon would give that big of a discount. When I was looking in store the cost was much higher. In fact I may buy one...

BTW I really like the tests. Its shows how much cards can vary even if all class 10. You really do have to test them in your device to see which is fastest. Whats strange is the K20D can write at 40MB/sec to a SDHC card (it does so with two cards). The specs at DPR probably really tricked a lot of people. The buffer to SDHC card speed is much higher than stated. Let me restate this. That is not the real write time. I just thought. The camera is writing to the card as you take pics for that 30sec so... I am not sure write now of the overall write time of the K20D as its bed time.
I tried to set the in-camera test parameters close to my real life shooting habits. I shoot exposure bracketed shots of plays and hate missing a shot because the buffer is full.
12-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried to set the in-camera test parameters close to my real life shooting habits. I shoot exposure bracketed shots of plays and hate missing a shot because the buffer is full.
Do you test using jpeg or Raw files? I used RAW files assuming thats what you used.
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do you test using jpeg or Raw files? I used RAW files assuming thats what you used.
RAW files, type DNG
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

RAW files, type DNG
I have been playing with SD cards lightly for years. I seem to see a winner in the Sandisk as far as the K20D goes. If things hold as they are my interest is in getting two of the Sandisk. As I Plan to buy either the K30 or K5 (probably the K30) in the near future. So I could use those cards now and in my new dSLR. Here is a post I made a few weeks ago at DPR...

Slow SD cards for K20D or perhaps...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I will give my honest times to flush a continuous burst that is most important to me in getting BIF. The K20D is slow enough, don't need a card slowing it down more. My new Samsung is the fastest card (by a couple seconds) I have had in my K20D. It will do 17 to 18/pics, it varies for some reason. All other cards would fill with 16/pics; Samsung can get in one or two (17-18) more before slowing and flush the buffer (fully until the orange light goes out) in ~18/seconds. The setting are ISO100-400, F/3.5 1/500 RAW DNG files. Hold until it stops (slows to a crawl) and time how long it takes from the end of your burst until the orange light goes out. Could you give it a go in your K20D. I would appreciate it. Can't give you anything but a like. The reason being is I think you are getting a bit better flush times in burst before it slows down. This could help me now and I would get them from Amazon.

BTW I have owned the K20D for darn near four years now. I really like that camera. IMO you can't love a camera so I don't use that word when speaking of things other than people. But yea I like my K20D. I have almost 60,000 shutter counts on it. I thought you could not bracket shoot in RAW. Yep learn new things all the time about the K20D.

Last edited by jamesm007; 12-06-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: errors
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been playing with SD cards lightly for years. I seem to see a winner in the Sandisk as far as the K20D goes. If things hold as they are my interest is in getting two of the Sandisk. As I Plan to buy either the K30 or K5 (probably the K30) in the near future. So I could use those cards now and in my new dSLR. Here is a post I made a few weeks ago at DPR...

Slow SD cards for K20D or perhaps...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I will give my honest times to flush a continuous burst that is most important to me in getting BIF. The K20D is slow enough, don't need a card slowing it down more. My new Samsung is the fastest card (by a couple seconds) I have had in my K20D. It will do 17 to 18/pics, it varies for some reason. All other cards would fill with 16/pics; Samsung can get in one or two (17-18) more before slowing and flush the buffer (fully until the orange light goes out) in ~18/seconds. The setting are ISO100-400, F/3.5 1/500 RAW DNG files. Hold until it stops (slows to a crawl) and time how long it takes from the end of your burst until the orange light goes out. Could you give it a go in your K20D. I would appreciate it. Can't give you anything but a like. The reason being is I think you are getting a bit better flush times in burst before it slows down. This could help me now and I would get them from Amazon.

BTW I have owned the K20D for darn near four years now. I really like that camera. IMO you can't love a camera so I don't use that word when speaking of things other than people. But yea I like my K20D. I have almost 60,000 shutter counts on it. I thought you could not bracket shoot in RAW. Yep learn new things all the time about the K20D.
Using your parameters, jamesm007, I ran the test 5 times and averaged 17 shots and 21 seconds before buffer was clear(27 seconds overall).