Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Disable TTL on K20D... can I?

Try as I might, I haven't found the way to do this, if it's at all possible...

I have two FTZ-500 flashes that I use for studio work, triggered by Yongnuo YN-04 II remotes. This works fine, but I've been thinking... The FTZ-500 have a slave mode that might be triggered by a burst from the main flash (set to lowest setting, maybe?) but of course the first burst of PTTL will trigger the flashes before the shutter goes off.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to disable PTTL on the camera and have it fire one single time at a given power? I'm sure it's possible...

thanks in advance!

12-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The only way I know to do it is to use a lens that does not have A contacts or take the aperture ring out of the A position.

You could get a small manual flash with a low power setting, the Pentax AF200S has a 1/4 power mode.

Last edited by elliott; 12-04-2012 at 06:59 AM.
12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
leave the popup on the K20D *DOWN* and avoid putting a TTL flash on the K20D. Just stick one of the wireless triggers on the hotshoe...
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No problem, just put a non-pttl flash in your hotshoe, or better yet, fire all your flashes off camera with the radio trigger.

12-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
No problem, just put a non-pttl flash in your hotshoe, or better yet, fire all your flashes off camera with the radio trigger.
That I can do, no problems... I was just wondering if the radio triggers are even needed. Not needing them would give me a backup if they ever fail.

I just thought that maybe if I set the flash to manual power adjustment, ant lower its output to the minimum, it might fire without a pre-flash. It seems there should be a way to do this...
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, well, if you're worried about your triggers failing, just buy a set of Paul Buff Cybersync triggers, and your worries will end!
12-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Oh, well, if you're worried about your triggers failing, just buy a set of Paul Buff Cybersync triggers, and your worries will end!
Yeah, they're just 11 times more expensive than my triggers. But that's not the point.