Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Has anyone used the Pentax two-year extended warranty?

I am debating buying the extended 2-year warranty for my K-01. I bought the camera a few weeks ago, but I believe I can still buy the warranty; reading through different forum threads it seems like people got responses from Pentax saying the extended warranty can be purchased anywhere from 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, or even 1-year after the camera. There have been a number of threads on this topic:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/167660-just-reminder-pentax-2-...anty-19-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/157886-k5-2-year-extended-warranty-2.html

My question, which I did not see addressed in these threads, is has anyone actually used the warranty? If so, how did it go? For $20 it is cheap insurance, but before I spend the money I want to confirm that it actually works the way it is advertised.

Another note, most credit cards will double the length of a manufacturer’s warranty (up to two years), so if your credit card does this then really this Pentax extended warranty is only adding one year (plus you get the cleaning). Even then, it is still probably worth the $20, but I want to make sure when it comes time to use it there are no surprises.

12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wenz Quote
I am debating buying the extended 2-year warranty for my K-01. I bought the camera a few weeks ago, but I believe I can still buy the warranty; reading through different forum threads it seems like people got responses from Pentax saying the extended warranty can be purchased anywhere from 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, or even 1-year after the camera. There have been a number of threads on this topic:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/167660-just-reminder-pentax-2-...anty-19-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/157886-k5-2-year-extended-warranty-2.html

My question, which I did not see addressed in these threads, is has anyone actually used the warranty? If so, how did it go? For $20 it is cheap insurance, but before I spend the money I want to confirm that it actually works the way it is advertised.

Another note, most credit cards will double the length of a manufacturer’s warranty (up to two years), so if your credit card does this then really this Pentax extended warranty is only adding one year (plus you get the cleaning). Even then, it is still probably worth the $20, but I want to make sure when it comes time to use it there are no surprises.
Yeah you can still buy it. The extended warranty is just like the original warranty: as long as you submit proof of having the extended warranty, they'll service your camera for free within the scope of normal warranty coverage.

If you do a forum search for "CRIS", there are lots of users stories about warranty repairs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'll cover one of the lessor issues first. I did not purchase any additional warranties with most of my equipment that costs less than 2k. But I wish I would have known of the sensor cleaning option, because at that price I would have purchased it.

But I do purchase most of my equipment using the very restrictive credit card warranties. Make sure that one reads every letter of that warranty thoroughly. There are actual geographic restrictions on items purchased and also items such as (and this one gets a lot of people) using equipment for any type of professional and/or paid use.
12-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've started several of the threads on reminding folks bout the extended warranty and am currently "discussing" the extended warranty and Pentax USA's foulup on it for the Q with Pentax.

I have never seen any number quoted from Pentax other than "within 30 days" of the purchase of the camera. If you want to be safe I'd take that as a hard number and work within that limit. The Extended warranty is an absolute steal at $19 for 2 years plus a cleaning/checkup. Why hesitate on it?

My only personal interaction with CRIS was excellent from start to finish. 2 week turn around, item works like new, and they just did a great job. Their tracking and reporting of status leaves a bit to be desired but the outcome is excellent so I am very satisfied.