Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

K5 image stabilisation

Being new to the K5 (ex Canon user) I wondered what other users think about the K5's image stabilisation? In particular, whether it should only be turned on when it's required. I can't help but feel that having electronics whirring away in the background when not required (e.g. using my 43mm Limited outdoors during the day) ain't a good thing. Also, been getting inconsistent results with my new 15mm Limited; some soft and some sharp - wondered whether anything to do with image stabilisation interference.

12-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I leave the SR on all the time, only when I mount it on a tripod do I turn it off.
12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The only time I turn it off is when I'm on a tripod. Just because you disable it doesn't mean there aren't "electronics whirring away", it has to hold the sensor steady so it still has the SR system energized. The sensor floats when there is no power applied to the SR system, which is why you hear a clunk when tilting the camera when it is off.

The only time I've had SR cause a problem is when inputting the wrong focal length for a manual lens. Especially if I forget to reset it after using my 50mm and put on my 16mm, then it over corrects and causes blur. This should never be a problem with any auto focus lens.
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to turn IS off with my K200D, when I first got that camera because I was new to in-camera stabilisation and it seemed to work against me getting sharp images sometimes, but after a while I figured that it was mostly just operator error. With my K-x and K-5 IS stays on pretty much all the time, with no ill effects either on my images or battery life, or anything else. My point-and-shoot has optical IS too, and I leave it on all the time with no problems.

Softness and sharpness issues with lenses can have many causes, but most of them are usually user technique related. For the DA 15, there are many threads discussing that lens in these forums. It might be useful to you to check out some of those.

12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having stabilized primes is one of Pentax's key advantages over Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the moment. I'd keep your SR on when using primes unless you're on a tripod or consistently shooting >= 1/200s

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

There are a few of these threads already but the current one that has a bit of discussion is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/185282-when-do-you...ction-off.html
12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Carthage Quote
Being new to the K5 (ex Canon user) I wondered what other users think about the K5's image stabilisation? In particular, whether it should only be turned on when it's required. I can't help but feel that having electronics whirring away in the background when not required (e.g. using my 43mm Limited outdoors during the day) ain't a good thing. Also, been getting inconsistent results with my new 15mm Limited; some soft and some sharp - wondered whether anything to do with image stabilisation interference.
Leave it on. But take care to allow it to settle before firing (SR symbol turns on). Same as for lens stabilisation with lenses having it. If you take images in fast succession with recomposing in between, I might consider switching it off.
12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

What falconeye says.

I had problems initially because sometimes (particularly with family shots) I would turn on and snap a shot without sufficient time for SR to kick in. If you need to take rapid shots from power up for a particular reason then you are better to select a faster shutter speed (or higher ISO to cause that or change program mode to bias to higher shutter speed).

12-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
But take care to allow it to settle before firing (SR symbol turns on).
+1 Lots of threads by new Pentax users about blurry images. I suspect many of them are that they need to wait until the SR system locks in. And that takes a measurable amount of time. If you have SR on and just point & click away you will get a significant percentage of blurry shots.

I find, even after 4 years of Pentax, that when I get in a hurry I end up with blurry shots and it is usually because I did not wait for SR.

I believe that the status of the SR system is reported in the EXIF, though I don't remember where. If you have a shot that should be good but isn't check the EXIF and see what it says about SR. There was a thread a while back that listed the various log entries in the EXIF depending on SR status.
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

In addition to shake reduction:
The horizon correction should be turned off, unless you're on a boat, in my opinion. Check the menu to see if it's on.
It does work, but it seems to make images just that bit softer. This is on the K-7, but I presume the K-5 system is similar.
12-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Carthage Quote
I use it most of the time, even when tripod bound with large lenses, because I use a gimbal system usually set loose, so subject to motion. If I am panning either on tripod or off, I turn SR off. It adds ghosting when panning