Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100 exif in CS2?

Hey gang-

Have I missed an update somewhere along the way? CS2 recognizes PEFs from my K100, but I can't find SR on/off in the exif. It shows up viewing the PEF in the Pentax software, but seems to get lost on conversion using ACR. Anybody with a K100 or K10 successfully preserve SR info when converting raw files using ACR?

Julie

01-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Hey gang-

Have I missed an update somewhere along the way? CS2 recognizes PEFs from my K100, but I can't find SR on/off in the exif. It shows up viewing the PEF in the Pentax software, but seems to get lost on conversion using ACR. Anybody with a K100 or K10 successfully preserve SR info when converting raw files using ACR?

Julie
My wife's k100 and my k10 exif doesn't show that the SR is used or not either. never tried pef, though

randy
01-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for confirming I'm not losing it, Randy. Anybody else? It's not absolutely critical, but it'd be interesting to have the info. I'm a scientist, I don't like to throw any data away!

Julie
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for confirming I'm not losing it, Randy. Anybody else? It's not absolutely critical, but it'd be interesting to have the info. I'm a scientist, I don't like to throw any data away!

Julie
Only place I've seen SR info show up is in the on-camera review info screen. Doesn't seem to be part of the EXIF data. Maybe EXIF is some type of standard, and Shake Reduction is fairly new and hasn't been added yet. You can always add it after-the-fact in the "user comment" keyword value.

01-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Only place I've seen SR info show up is in the on-camera review info screen. Doesn't seem to be part of the EXIF data.
Oh it's there all right - I checked in PPL. It seems that Adobe got as far as being able to convert the image information, but didn't get quite all the exif. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing. I've been keeping the PEFs until I figure it out, which is eating up some serious disk space!

Julie
01-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Julie,
What camera RAW file do you have in plug ins in CS2? Is it the 3.6 version?
this may make a difference. Or it just may be that ARC has overlooked it in their rush to get the Camera RAW file to market to keep up with the demands of the industry. If this is the case I would hope when they get the plug in for version 4.0 out it will have all the EXIF data.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't have a K100D and so I'm not able to check for myself. I would try this:

Take a picture withthe SR turned ON.
Check in PPL that the info is there
Convert it to DNG using the Adobe converter and
Convert it to DNG using PPL (if doable)
Check both pictures in PPL and ACR 3.6 respectively for the SR info

The EXIF values are standard. Among the EXIF values there also are Makernotes that are not standard. I don't know where the SR is placed but it may be in inside the Makernote part and then there will be problem for most third party software to show the info as long as the maker of the software don't aim for it specifically.

If you find the info in any of the DNG files you should be able to convert your pictures to save space.

Just my 2 cents, and maybe I get something wrong as I never even installed PPL after having read all the reports about it. I remember reading that the new version of PPL (shipped with K10D is available for download. That may make for some possibilities not found with earlier versions.

regards,

01-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have never shot RAW on k10d or even on k100d and I always shoot jpegs. I never noticed SR being recorded in EXIF but only on the info data appearing on review screen.

But I always take photos with SR on anyway. Rarely I turned SR off for some long exposure stuff. Otherwise all my shots are having SR turend on and all EXIF should have SR attached to the info until proven otherwise.
01-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I don't have a K100D and so I'm not able to check for myself. I would try this:

Take a picture withthe SR turned ON.
Check in PPL that the info is there
Convert it to DNG using the Adobe converter and
Convert it to DNG using PPL (if doable)
Check both pictures in PPL and ACR 3.6 respectively for the SR info
That's pretty much what I did, except you can't convert to DNG using PPL. Or at least if you can, it's so non-intuitive I couldn't figure it out. I think I'll try converting to tiff in PPL, open it in PS, and see if SR shows up.

QuoteQuote:
The EXIF values are standard. Among the EXIF values there also are Makernotes that are not standard. I don't know where the SR is placed but it may be in inside the Makernote part and then there will be problem for most third party software to show the info as long as the maker of the software don't aim for it specifically.
Hm, that may explain it. Or as Photo Tramp suggests, maybe they rushed to make it compatible with the new cameras and missed some bits. Either way, it makes me wonder if I'm missing something more important.

Thanks all for your suggestions. If I ever figure it out I'll let you know!

Julie
01-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's pretty much what I did, except you can't convert to DNG using PPL. .

Julie
adobe has a utility that you can convert almost any supported raw file to DNG
Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)

not sure if this will help,

randy
01-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
adobe has a utility that you can convert almost any supported raw file to DNG
That's what I'm using, but it apparently loses the SR info, and who knows what else, which is why I'm interested in figuring it out. I prefer to convert to dng but I don't want to lose information. PPL only does tiff, so far as I know. It's hard to tell, it keeps crashing!

Julie
01-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

That's pretty much what I did, except you can't convert to DNG using PPL. Or at least if you can, it's so non-intuitive I couldn't figure it out. I think I'll try converting to tiff in PPL, open it in PS, and see if SR shows up.

-snip-

Thanks all for your suggestions. If I ever figure it out I'll let you know!
I don't have the software installed. But, I do seem to recall that the new version can do this (compression? need to save as DNG once again using the Adobe utility?), check the menues and see if you can "Save As".

regards,
01-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
Ole
Administrator

Hey gang-

Julie
You haven't missed anything. CS2 doesn't recognize all of the Pentax EXIF information and even overwrites some of it when you postprocess your photo.

Since you hate to lose data: The Pentax Photobrowser can pruduce a file with all the EXIF data. In the Photobrowser: Select all images in your directory and click the 'Save Image Data List' button. Save the file with extension .csv, and open it in a spreadsheet program. Here you can see one such file, and also see that some EXIF fields on post-processed files have been wiped (by Photoshop).
Attached Images

01-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
... and also see that some EXIF fields on post-processed files have been wiped (by Photoshop).
How strange. The missing data is data that I can see in Photoshop CS2 after having developed raw pictures with ACR. (Still with the *ist DS though.)
01-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
How strange. The missing data is data that I can see in Photoshop CS2 after having developed raw pictures with ACR. (Still with the *ist DS though.)
Strange indeed. As an example the lens name always get wiped for me when I save the file as jpg from PS. That's annoying and therefore I have turned to save all EXIF data with Photobrowser as the second step in my process (after renaming the files).