Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Or by always referring to the same print size output, in one way of looking at it, or maybe the pixel density of different sensors

Anyway, I'm out of my depth on this. I'll stop now...
Ya me too, line width per picture height looks to me like a ratio. It's not a function of size... in fact there are no units of measurement specified. So I'd assume it's not measurement dependent. I'm always leary when people say these things but don't provide a concrete example. Maybe I'll go back and read what those guys wrote to see if I can get a handle on it.

12-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The clear conclusion, there's no point in going to a high end system, unless you're going to splurge for a couple of high end lenses. Since I do landscape, for me to get into a Nikon system, I'd be looking at 3 k for my camera and 2 k for a 14-24. That's 5k just to sit down at the table. The stakes might be a little rich for most of us. SInce I'm almost certain to want 24-70 covered, that's a $7k buy in. If I'm not going at least 5, I'm better off getting top of the line lenses for my K-5.
The Samyang lenses are both cheap and excellent, generally the equal of Nikon's 14-24. Sigma's and Tamron's long macros offer decently priced high resolution teles.
12-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I think there are two school of thoughts for guys going for APS-C; I am in the school of those wanted a light weight system with good IQ. And then there's another that collects FF sized lenses, and waiting for Pentax to release a FF DSLR. Nothing wrong here of course. For that reason FF glasses (Samyang, Sigma, Etc) does not interest me, if I wanted the weight I would go the Nikon 800E route. I want something that is lighter, smaller, cheaper and yet has great IQ. I hope Pentax continues to have APS-C designated lenses.
12-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
not worth it to me. I'll be switching to Nikon if Pentax doesn't come with a full frame by this time next year. Hell, Nikon has a 24 megapixel entry level D3200 available now for $599 with a 18-55 lens
Why?

Exactly what would a full-frame camera do for your photography? (this is a sincere question...)

12-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
The Samyang lenses are both cheap and excellent, generally the equal of Nikon's 14-24. Sigma's and Tamron's long macros offer decently priced high resolution teles.
Those Samyang lenses are rated the best of any lenses on any system on DxO, but, they are manual focus and are not the best at controlling barrel distortion, but it's a lens every Pentax owner should try out. I've been meaning to order one, but you also have to decide what focal length to go for. So many choices, so little time.
12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those Samyang lenses are rated the best of any lenses on any system on DxO, but, they are manual focus and are not the best at controlling barrel distortion, but it's a lens every Pentax owner should try out. I've been meaning to order one, but you also have to decide what focal length to go for. So many choices, so little time.

I don't find autofocus very useful in landscape work. The Samyang 14mm does have considerable distortion, though that also is not usually a problem with landscapes, and can be corrected easily. The longer Samyangs do not show much distortion, and are up to D800 IQ standards. Soon there will be a perpective correcting 24mm from Samyang, very nice for imaging mountains and such. Such a wide view with shift is not available at all for Pentax cropped sensor bodies - another advantage of full frame.
12-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I don't think I will upgrade from the K-5 any-time soon ... unless is FF and well put together.
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great input everyone!
Wouldn't 24 mp make a difference when you are cropping?

Thanks
Randy

12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Short answer, if you have a 24 Mp camera which seems to deliver about 2400 lw/ph and you crop 10% of your image, you've cropped yourself back into 16 MP range. Not only that, if you splurge for a good lens like the 31 ltd or Sigam 85 1.4 you'll get more resolution out of your 16 MP camera 2600 lw/ph) than you will out of your 24 MP camera. Lets say we've printed a 20 inch picture with a K-5...each resolved line would be .0095 of an inch. Lets say you then took at picture with a 24 MP camera @ 2400 lw/ph and each resolved line would be .0083. That's a difference of .0012 of an inch per line. Can you actually see that? Personally, I don't think you can. So it's complicated. Yes a 24 MP camera technically gives you slightly larger image to work with courtesy of it's tighter pixel density. So it's kind of like the D800. If you want to take advantage of it's benefits, you have to have really good lenses. If you have the good lenses already, then go for it.if you don't have it already, it's not going to make your average lenses any better, and you'll get better results with great lenses, on what you have than a new body for your not so great lenses.

The obvious solution is 36 or 24 MP with great lenses. Do you buy the great body and upgrade the lenses or the great lenses and upgrade the body, if that's where you're going. But really, why go there?
12-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I would get one without the AA filter.
I'd likely do the same.
12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Just as an addendum... the most the human eye can resolves under the absolute best circumstances is about .00167.
12-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I am going out on a limb and say the next flagship isn't going to be ff, but is going to be the K5II with a 24 mega pixel sensor with more improvements in video and continuous af

Would this be enough to upgrade from your present camera it high ISO performance was equal or better?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Randy
Oh Pentax what have you done to us. People dream of a K5 III with APS-C sensor size and marginal improvement for the future.
A little more should be possible than just a couple more pixels, no new name, no FF, no new lenses, that is not a dream that is a nightmare.

The K5IIs offers a lot of detail in a 15MP file - at 15MP file size! I don't need 24 MP to create something similar to a decent 15 pixel output, but many more things could be improved or changes in the next Pentax top model.
12-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Wouldn't 24 mp make a difference when you are cropping?
Theoretically, you would have about %20 more room to crop. But that's only theoretically. In practice, it is likely much less. With APS-C sensors, it appears that we have reached a point of diminishing returns when adding pixels. You can only increase the quantity by reducing their quality. From examples strewn around the web, I can see only a slight increase in detail (often accompanied by a slight increase in noise) with the 24 MP images compared to 16 MP images. That slight increase in detail will not be visible at normal viewing levels, even in large (or heavily cropped) prints. In other words, the files from 16 and 24 MP APS-C cameras are, for all practical purposes, the same, except that the 24 MP files are 50% larger. Why anyone would want to increase file size without gaining anything appreciable in return is beyond me.
12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #44
Pentaxian

- Improved focus peaking;
- continue improvement over ISO. noiseless at ISO 6400, with top ISO > 51200.
- full manual control in video, with 60fps 1080p, and 120fps 720p.
- better focus in all lighting situation;
- change the ring type neck strap attachment (it's noisy for video);

Other:
- Keep the same battery at K5 but with more capacity (juice), keep the same battery grip will be great;
- Make the camera 'thinner' as they now remove gap between LCD and glass;
- Make some smart change to that 'focus point selection arrow' to 'changing AWB, time delay, etc' button switching, the LCD screen is affecting night vision during night shooting.
- Make a step-by-step go through with the focus adjustment feature.