Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
24 megapixels

I am going out on a limb and say the next flagship isn't going to be ff, but is going to be the K5II with a 24 mega pixel sensor with more improvements in video and continuous af

Would this be enough to upgrade from your present camera it high ISO performance was equal or better?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Randy

12-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would get one without the AA filter.
12-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The improvements in AF would need to be significant without reducing the IQ produced by the K-5 for me to consider it.
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

not worth it to me. I'll be switching to Nikon if Pentax doesn't come with a full frame by this time next year. Hell, Nikon has a 24 megapixel entry level D3200 available now for $599 with a 18-55 lens

12-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not convinced 24 Mp, either full frame or APS-c has anything to offer over a K-5. Larger file size, but no more detail. I've handled a D3200 and compared landscape pictures taken side by side with my K-.. It's good for people with small hands. If you're used to a K-5, you don't get anything more in IQ. It feels like a toy compared to a K-5.

12-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax needs to have something big to showcase at CP+, and you're right- it's probably going to be an APS-C DSLR. Even though they have a lot of room for improvement in other areas and that's what they should focus on, obviously the IQ can also be improved over that of the K-5 without going to FF, but I'm not sure if the current 24Mp sensors are good enough. As with anything electronic, there's never a piece of hardware that won't become obsolete: it's only a question of time before something better comes out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just from my impressions of Pentax, gleaned from interviews posted on the forum over the last year, they have something up their sleave... god knows what it is. But I also think Pentax is not going to release a new body until, it has something people "have to have". I don't know what the heck they're smirking about, but they seem to have " we know something you don't" smirks on their little faces. I just hope they aren't "we got nothing but it's so special you think we do " smirks.

12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for the flagship APS-C, to be announced at CP+ in February. I expect it will be Sony 24mp sensor, in a body with all the bells and whistles; better PDAF, better CDAF, more AF points, focus peaking, enhanced controls (incorporating Ricoh features), better video (couldn't care less about that one). I will defiinitely go the filterless version.

The 24mp sensor has been proven to equal the 16mp in DXOMark performance measures and exceed it in resolution given a sharp enough lens. I especially want this camera for my new DA*300mm. I will be able to crop away an entire K-5 IIs photo and still have an 8mp image.
12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think just a MP upgrade will not be enough. People want improvement/changes to flash, AF, video,.. there are even loud shouts for tilting screens and uncrippled mounts.
The K-5II (s) is great, but Pentax kind of dropped the ball in terms of expectations.
On the other hand, The K-5II shows that Pentax is thinking about details - like improving LCD screen, AF, removing AA, which is great. Because the next Pentax product needs to have both raw power (MP, DR, etc.) as well as details that differentiates it from the competition.
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't care about megapixels. 16-18 MP is more than enough, be it APS-C or FF. (Of course, I also drive a 40hp VW...)
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The 24mp sensor has been proven to equal the 16mp in DXOMark performance measures and exceed it in resolution given a sharp enough lens.
Where did you find that? That's what I've been looking for.
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If such a camera tested well and sold for under a grand, I might buy. Otherwise, the D800e or its successor is my next body.
12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If such a camera tested well and sold for under a grand, I might buy. Otherwise, the D800e or its successor is my next body.
The D800 has definitely become the new standard. Seeing Canon bring out "competitors " that don't come anywhere near the bar is somewhat amusing. I think what we're seeing is Canon becoming a sports /auto-focus /video type camera that maintains market share with an astounding advertising budget, and Nikon pretty much running Canon out of the Landscape market with the D800. Pentax's strategy of offering the best options in APS-c is only workable until everyone else catches up with the D800 sensor on their FF cameras. Once there is a noticeable difference between APS-c and every FF camera on the market, it's hard to say what Pentax's demographic would be. We're good for now, because the Pentax compares favourably to every FF camera except the D800, which is expensive.
12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where did you find that? That's what I've been looking for.
Compare the DXOMark results for the Sony NEX5-N and NEX7. Similar technologies except for sensor, similar results.
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
exceed it in resolution given a sharp enough lens.
I was actually thinking more in terms of MTF. I think you're thinking resolution in terms of more pixels.I'm really curious at whether or not 24 MP APS-c cameras will resolve paired lines better than a 16 MP as my own notion is that at 16 MP , APS-c is already a 2x oversample in many wave lengths. Going to a 3x oversample might not necessarily produce higher MTF scores. I don't think DxO tests MTF.