Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

K-x or EOS 40D or what as second body?

I'm finding it hard to choose between alternatives here. I have an EOS 20D, my son has a new K-30 which he's very pleased with. I have a few nice old Leica R and Contax lenses which points to an EOS - thinking 40d or 50D or even 5D MK1.

I don't use a camera too often, unless I get back into photography - used to be keen. But I'm getting a bit jealous of my son's K-30 and I've given him a few of my old Super Takumars. I still have a few nice M42 lenses, Pentax and CZJ, so a Pentax body is entirely possible.

Right now I use manual focus lenses entirely so an argument for EOS is getting a better screen for manual focus, e.g. katzeye. Don't know if that would work on a K-x.

I was thinking of just upgrading slightly and not spending too much, but starting to wonder about everything. I could go full-frame with a 5D mk 1, or get a 50D or get a K-x or even a K-30. EOS would use my legacy lenses, but going Pentax could mean smaller bodies for travelling.

What would you do?

12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les24preludes Quote
I'm finding it hard to choose between alternatives here. I have an EOS 20D, my son has a new K-30 which he's very pleased with. I have a few nice old Leica R and Contax lenses which points to an EOS - thinking 40d or 50D or even 5D MK1.

I don't use a camera too often, unless I get back into photography - used to be keen. But I'm getting a bit jealous of my son's K-30 and I've given him a few of my old Super Takumars. I still have a few nice M42 lenses, Pentax and CZJ, so a Pentax body is entirely possible.

Right now I use manual focus lenses entirely so an argument for EOS is getting a better screen for manual focus, e.g. katzeye. Don't know if that would work on a K-x.

I was thinking of just upgrading slightly and not spending too much, but starting to wonder about everything. I could go full-frame with a 5D mk 1, or get a 50D or get a K-x or even a K-30. EOS would use my legacy lenses, but going Pentax could mean smaller bodies for travelling.

What would you do?
you have a bunch of old, good lenses in multiple mounts, there is no reason you shouldn't have a micro 4/3 camera in your fold! There are a half dozen that can be found easily under $200 and adapters for your lenses are around twenty bucks. If you don't pick one up though, unless you have more than the kit lens for your Canon then I'd say pick up a K mount body to match your son's.
12-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

At the moment in the UK the K-30 is a lot of camera for not a lot of money (369), AND there's a 50 cash back = 319. Buy from a Pentax Pro dealer like SRS and you'll get a 2 year warranty. (SRS also throw in a spare battery)

No brainer.
12-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
I looked at a bunch of the smaller EVF bodies and came to the conclusion I'm a OVF kind of guy - especially with manual lenses. I also found that I like the size of a K-30 in my hand, or indeed an EOS 40D. Shame about the weight, but I could use some light and small lenses - that's what my son is doing, buying the pancake size lenses one by one and filling in with SMC and SuperTaks.

I'm also not sure if I'm happy with around 12MP or want to go up to around 16MP.

I'm indeed in London so the K-30 is a tempter.......

12-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or a K-01, even cheaper and you have a 3 inch screen to work with.
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also not sure if I'm happy with around 12MP or want to go up to around 16MP.
I had a k-x (now passed on to my wife) and replaced it with the k-5. IMHO there is a big difference in image quality. Not 100% sure if it is just the megapixels or the k-5 sensor but if I had the choice between k-x and k-30 no question, go for the k-30.

Just bought a used k-x for daughter in law, paid the us equivalent of 240.00 so 319 for the k-30 takes no thought at all.
12-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Another thing I'm wondering about is video....... any remarks about that? Do you use video much on your cameras?
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What would you do?
If you want to use those lenses on a camera with a nice big viewfinder and factory interchangeable focus screens and have the lenses field of view unchanged, I'd go with the canon. I'm biased though as I switched a few years ago.

12-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
borno (or others...) Did changing the focus screen make a big difference for your legacy lenses? Did you use Katzeye or what?

How do the replacement EOS screens compare with ones available for K-30 etc. for legacy lenses?
12-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
K30 is a killer camera. I like it more than the K5 in most cases except for lack of battery grip option..
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

borno (or others...) Did changing the focus screen make a big difference for your legacy lenses? Did you use Katzeye or what?

How do the replacement EOS screens compare with ones available for K-30 etc. for legacy lenses?
I have a split image screen for my canons and it works just like the film cameras, but the spot meter will be off (if you use center spot) just like the katz eye and I usually use the stock screen, as I shoot a lot of wildlife stuff. There is a precision matte that is supposed to be best for fast primes, but gets dark and grainy with slow lenses. If I had more fast primes I would get one, they are about $35 I think.