Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I really do not understand a lot of folks changing from Canon to Nikon, and back again, then to .....
Happens all the time. Mostly by folks who think a newer or 'better' camera will somehow make them a photographer. When it doesn't happen they blame the camera and buy a new one when something catches their eye. I think my dad has had 4 slr / dslr none of them the same brand. When he wanted a new camera he just got what the guy at the store told him was good. The last time he called me first and I suggested a k-x. When he went to BB they only had Canikon so guess what he came home with.

12-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #17

1. Size. The size of the body+lens is much more compact than those of Canikon. Even the micro 4/3rds cameras have many fat lens so the size savings isn't that great.
2. Value for cost. The K5 is optically better than a Canon 7D while the cost is much lower. And I got a K5II with a 18-135mm WR since WR is affordable.
3. Limited primes. I love my 43mm and 77mm's size and weight. The IQ is also supposedly quite good, but I'm still a beginner and learning how to take good shots with them.

I always keep checking out the Nikons and Canons, but the size and cost of changing into a new system keeps me from switching over.
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SR in body
Size of total system.
Wide angle prime lenses that I can afford and also can carry without neck strain.
WR

I think the 17-50 is the key lens of the APS system and it's not greener on the other side of the fence.
Sony has a good 16-50 2.8 - so they're an option..
But to me, it seems the best 17-50 lens is either from Simga or Tamron, and they're available for all brands, so there's no advantage in switching...

Plus, I could spend thousands switching everything to a different brand and it would make no detectable difference to my photos anyway.

Last edited by calsan; 12-09-2012 at 06:33 PM.
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I like the image quality, colors, and compact size of the lenses, and the no-nonsense professional feel of the K-5. The buttons are all in the right place and the switchgear all works great. I rarely have to go menu diving, but when I do, it's easy to find what I need.

12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #20

My opinion is that Pentax models punch above their class. Even with the AF achilles heel, people buy into Pentax because of the well rounded photographic tools. Ok, having 100 colors to choose from also helped .

Many times when I had the K-r I considered switching, but every time I compare features (of the same price range), I end up back where I started.

In-body SR
VF size (even the pentamirror models are larger and brighter)
Ergonomics
Perceived better build quality (has anyone drop tested Pentax DSLR's yet )
AA battery
The all powerful, omnipresent, unequalled, yet lesser known GREEN button
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

No real features keep me shooting Pentax. I Just like my Pentax's. Been shooting them for 30+ years. They work for me.
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

What drew me to Pentax were the following things

Weather Resistance - Probably my #1 reason. I am a very outdoorsy person and I have lost two cameras to water exposure. Both were only point and shoots, but they were both also between $300-$400 each. Pentax had the only cameras with WR for under $1000. When I decided to make the leap to dslr's, I wanted the protection.

Bang for Buck - All the reviews I've read about the capabilities of Pentax cameras have been highly favorable. I know at the ultra elite end of the scale, CaNikon cameras would probably dominate just be sheer force of technology, but pound for pound Pentax can hold its own. Technical reviews and "top 10" lists for the year confirm this, with the listing of the K5ii and K30 amongst the giants of Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

It's different! - It's NOT just another black CaNikon camera, and this is important to me. Also, blue is my favorite color, and the K30 came in blue. It's what seriously sealed the deal.

12-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've been using Pentax for 30 years. Started with a K 1000, then a KX and several ME and ME Super. When I looked into digital I shopped around for the first time. Ended up still with Pentax.

1 The K-x was rated as the best entry level DSLR going
2 good high ISO performance, although I rarely used it
3 Amazing lens choices...and prices on vintage lenses was way better than anything else available.
4 AA batteries
5 I like Pentax...why bother switching and spending tons on a new set of lenses? I already had several 50mm and a 28 and 135, I've added another 135, several extension tubes, a couple of teleconverters now without glass and used as extension tubes for K mount, M42 adapter, 200mm Vivitar, and I don't think I have $200 invested in lenses yet...

Now I'm shooting a K 30, so far I really like it but I've only had it a week or so. I don't see myself switching brands any time soon, Pentax is the best as far as I'm concerned. Low light performance with the K 30 is pretty impressive, comfortable, well built, weather resistant, don't have to pay for shake reduction built into the lens (who the hell thought up that one?????) and plan on a AA battery adapter before long.
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #24

This might sound somewhat conceited, but I kind of like using a less-glorified brand. It's strange, but I've bumped into so many Canikon users who know little to nothing about Pentax systems.

But on a more technical viewpoint, the in-body SR is definitely a huge factor. The small primes were also major influences for me. They're just so damn sexy!
12-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

x2. I think Pentax is not riding on their successes of tough as nail DSLR system. They didn't even know they are that good! I think there is one soldier (Heie) doing all sorts of crazy tests on Pentax k5 and WR lenses to prove its worth.

What brought me to Pentax as an angler is the durability, WR and of course, best in class APSC DSLR. We need more WR primes and zooms.

Hope to see in K3; Wifi for smart phone control and transferring of files, articulated touch screen, dual card slots, auto focus Video and up to 120fps slow motion for 720p, smaller and more cross type AF points, faster AF, and bring down the prices of lenses of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
From a different perspective, I am currently getting ready to jump into the world of DSLR cameras so I had to do a lot of research and reading to finally decide on which system to go with. As I have settled on Pentax and await the funds and right deal for me to jump on a K-5 or K-30, I can offer my thoughts.

What sold me on Pentax:
WR! I don't envision myself as a professional photographer probably ever. However, I am an avid hunter and fisherman. The WR at a decent price was a slam dunk.
In body SR - This also really sold me

What made the decision difficult:
Pricing and availability - Canon and Nikon products can be found everywhere (I still haven't found a K-5 that I can hold in my hands). There are also sales all the time on bodies and lenses. Initially I was debating on the D5100 which is dirt cheap right now and I have used one before. It wasn't until I found the WR of Pentax that I really started to change my mind.
Quite, in-lens auto focus on cheap/kit lenses
12-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I can fit an amazing volume of kit into my camera bags and get around the planet. I can have most of what I want on the move which would be impossible with canon/nikon/sony. I have the most amazing lenses that surprises my clients and helps me to stand out from the competition.

Best of all I can afford to have a really good kit.
12-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all been said already, but for me:

compact, beautifully built and ergonomic bodies, which can cope with any conditions when you couple them with the compact, beautifully built and ergonomic DA* lenses
pushing the resolution and dynamic range of their sensors beyond what other companies seem to be able to manage
tiny, beautifully built, idiosyncratic, pixie-dust laden limited primes
standing out from the crowd
bang for your buck
12-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #28
Banned

My wallet kept me with Pentax last year and this year.

- 2011: I was thinking going to Canon with the APS-H sensor, but my skills could still improve with the K-5.
- 2012: I was thinking going to Nikon. First D800 + 200-400mm lens, but that lens isn't good enough. Then D600 with 300mm/f2.8 but then all the crap inside that D600.

So who knows what Pentax brings in 2013, but I descided to spend a few hundred euro's on upgrading to one K-5 II. That is small money.
12-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

A lot of things used to keep me with Pentax. But one by one, those features have been slowly disappearing. Pentax had the best bang-for-the-buck ratio. Was the only brand with shake reduction in the body. And they made DSLRs with a size and ergonomics suitable for larger male hands.

So, now the only 'feature' that is keeping me from switching is the fact I don't have the money (nor the stomach) to make such a switch.
12-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

There are a lot of reasons, and all of them are stated above, but basically it comes down to this. Nearly 5 decades after they first made my favorite Pentax SLR (and the stellar Takumar lenses that came with it) I have an equally excellent Pentax digital camera that I can still use those same lenses on. Pentax has been making quality gear since before I was alive and they still do.