Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all started in 1975 with a secondhand Spotmatic and a Super tak 50/1.4...
Still have the lens and need a camera to mount it on

12-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #32

Not in any particular order:
  • In-body shake reduction (SR)
  • Very well made and thought out bodies (especially K-5) with lot of features in affordable and small package
  • O-GPS1 and Q (I'm hunting these both at the moment)
  • Interesting (and rare) legacy lenses (especially K-, A*-, F*- and FA* -series)
  • Interesting current lenses (especially Limited- and DA* -series)
  • Easy use of legacy lenses
  • Affordable weather resistant package (ie. K10D+18-55WR may be bought as low as 200 used; excellent for hikes, don't need to worry about breaking expensive stuff)
  • Feels "own" (other brands have always felt "mainstream" and "bit odd")
  • My fiancee also likes Pentax (has K-5 also)
  • I have used lot of time hunting the lenses I have so it would be a bit of waste to sell them

And maybe most of all: I already have "complete" system with Pentax so it would be quite an effort to change brands. Also would become quite expensive (so yeah, I'm trapped at Pentax at the moment )

And one more, good ergonomics (if you can use camera well like this, then ergonomics is quite good )

12-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely value for money on old lenses and bodies, and "exclusivity," standing out in the crowd is appealing.

Other considerations:
> DNG,
> Simple, easy to use GUI and controls.
> AA battery option,
> Build quality,
> A myriad of old interesting lenses,
> SR for use with old, interesting lenses,
> Top of the class sensors,
> Small size,
> WR.

Features I would like to see in the future:
> Support for full control wi-fi tethering through eye-fi or similar cards.
12-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why I chose Pentax:

1) Backward compatibility with old lenses
2) Great bang/buck ratio
3) Build quality & ergonomics
4) AA batteries

Why I'm sticking with Pentax:

1) I already own the stuff.
2) It does the job as well as anything else.
3) I like it.

I came to a Pentax DSLR after years of shooting film. After 20 years using film cameras, it amuses me how folks carp about Pentax not having this bell or that whistle that you couldn't even dream of on a film camera. Things like shake reduction, HDR, low noise shooting at high ISOs, etc... Not to mention the ease of post processing on the computer. None of this stuff existed in the film era, and I did ok with that, so all of these added goodies on DSLRs is just gravy. So why would I switch?

If your photos suck with a Pentax DSLR, they'll suck just as much with a Canon or Nikon. I don't plan on going anywhere.

12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #35
Site Supporter

K-mount and m42 Legacy glass is one. The size and interface in conjunction with build quality and WR potential. SR and the "Green Buttons" are 2 big bonuses. Pentax has generally gotten more out of a given sensor than Nikon has been able to do.
12-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

SR, WR, m42 and manual lenses, focus confirm, body build.
12-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I can fit an amazing volume of kit into my camera bags and get around the planet. I can have most of what I want on the move which would be impossible with canon/nikon/sony.
Haha! Exactly. Last weekend... my K-r, with 80-200 attached, plus a macro and my 18-55 and a few odds and ends all packed nicely into my bag. SO's D7000 with one lens and a grip wouldn't fit into the same bag. Not easily, anyway.
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Its the cheapest way to get into digital photography and retains enough features to make jumping ship an unpleasant thought due to cost and loss of the key selling points for me (legacy glass, in body shake reduction, ruggedness).

12-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #39

I like the wr and light weight but the only thing that stopped me going to Nikon is the da*300.
I just tried both the k-5 and k-30 and both are very capable of continuous auto focusing with the da*300 so I guess I will be sticking around for awhile.
Joe
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

The green stripe.
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #41
Pentaxian

The biggest single feature is every single lens I own, M42 and K mount, I can still use. Add to that good ergonomics, weather sealing at a very good price. I think I'll always keep a Pentax around.
12-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I had a Pentax Km SLR 30+ yrs ago, with 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 lenses, 2nd hand from a friend. I was most definitely not into photography at the time but wanted something decent. The photos, when they came out OK as remember I didn't really know anything, were absolutely wonderful compared with what any other camera managed to produce that passed through my hands. I could never get into film photography though because of the lack of instant feedback. Then the digital era dawned......

A couple of quite good P&S cameras with manual controls got me the knowledge and in 2006 I thought it was time to get serious. Research showed me I could use my old lenses on a K100D, which had SR as well that would work with them. When I also saw that the image quality from Canon DSLRs was not what I wanted (I didn't know about RAW then, so it was jpgs), being much too smooth and cartoony then, a friend's Rebel felt like a kid's toy and the kit lens was awful, and Nikon images all seemed blown out at the time, Pentax chose itself. The K100D was never a perfect camera but with RAW the image quality was exactly what I wanted so it kept me going for 6yrs with a Sigma 17-70 as my main AF lens until I bought the K-30 which is an absolute gem at the price. Again, it's not perfect but nothing ever is, and I can see this satisfying me for another 6yrs it's that good. Any move would probably be more subject to lens and accessory desires than anything, i.e. if I couldn't get certain shots with what I've got or would be prepared to pay with Pentax or Pentax compatibles, then I would consider a move, or more likely an addition - I wouldn't sell my Pentax stuff.
12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
The green stripe.
Amen. The cool looking lenses and bodies, and the cool green stripe
12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Amen. The cool looking lenses and bodies, and the cool green stripe
No love for the Limited?
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Limited lover here.
Small, discrete, yet as good as IQ as you can get. Very transportable. I can carry the set with camera in a small over-shoulder camera bag all day without any trouble.