Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Legacy glass
In-camera SR
Bang for the Buck
Have such a large system now switching wouldn't make sense.

Been shooting with Pentax since the early/mid 70's and while I have owned both Nikon and Canon SLRS and DSLRS over the years the only ones I have retained have been the Pentax (well to be honest I do still have a couple of digital compacts from N & C and a Richo XR-7 and Minolta XD11 SLR's). The only thing I wish Pentax still had was a slightly larger body like the K10/20. I know many people prefer the form factor of the newer K5/7/30 cameras, but for me the size of the older ones (with grips) just fit my hands a little better, still that's not enough to switch brands. As a matter of fact I've been eyeing a K5IIs.....

12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What pulled me in initially was SR and low lens costs/extensive backwards compatibility.

What keeps me in are the Ltd lenses, compact DSLR body, high quality construction, high ISO iq....and Ltd. lenses.

As much as I like all the other aspects, the prices for lenses would be enough to drive me to another system if it weren't for the Ltds, honestly.
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Site Supporter

First and foremost the K-mount and Pentax' commitment to backwards compatibility.

Secondly the design/features, mechanical quality and ergonomics. The size of the K-5 is nothing less than perfect for me, even though I have got fairly big hands. To me, there is much truth in the statement that Pentax cameras are designed by photograpers (rather than by marketing people) for photographers.

Features I wouldn't be without: In-body Shake Reduction, Weather Resistance, Catch-in-Focus, O-GPS1/Astrotracer, AA-cell operation - well, you don't get them all in one package, so I keep my trusty K200D (and my *ist DL for that matter) alongside with my K-5.

Now, when do we get tethering back? Yeah, I know, PK-Tether is great, but still.........
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Now, when do we get tethering back?
Hopefully when Pentax figures out how to do it without overheating the sensor. But yes, tethering would be great for astro-shots.

Edit: I stick with Pentax because what else is there that does what Pentax does for the money.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-10-2012 at 04:37 PM.
12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #50
Site Supporter

What has kept me with Pentax so far this month has been the reduced priced on the K-01. I was seriously all set to switch when they dropped the priced and I couldn't resist.

What kept me with Pentax the last few years has been the features in the DSLR that tells me that they understand that not everyone is a sports photographer or pro shooter.
- Support for legacy glass
- Resonable pricing on glass
- Catch in focus
- Ability to stop down on M glass
- Pentax colors
- WR
- Weight savings in my travel setup.
- SR (edit, i can't believe i forgot this)

Unfortunately, I'm slowly turning into a sport shooter and may have to go Canon or Nikon. Prefer Nikon, but the focusing seems better on Canon.

Last edited by 7samurai; 12-10-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: forgot to mention SR
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #51

Can't get enough of the limited lenses. Whether on film or digital I love them and could never fully leave pentax just because of them. I very much appreciate they're level of quality, rendering ability and overall feel.

I am very satisfied with pentax in general, but the happiness I feel when shooting with the prime limiteds that I own is something special I think.
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zaphodmonster Quote
the happiness I feel when shooting with the prime limiteds that I own is something special I think.
I couldn't agree with this more!
12-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #53

I'm really sorry that I probably WON'T buy a K-30 right now to replace my Canon EOS 20D. My legacy lenses are Leica R, Contax and M42 (nice Takumars). I could do one of two things:
1. Sell all the Contax and Leica lenses and use the money for some Pentax lenses e.g. Limited ones
2. Keep my legacy lenses and get a used EOS 50D with low shutter actuations.

I haven't definitely decided. My son bought a K-30 and he was right - for the money it's a better body and it also has video. I'm VERY tempted...

But I just can't bear to part with the lenses I have, which were carefully collected over years. They're not the rare or expensive ones - just average usage common ones. How can I abandon that Contax look or that Leica look? I love the Takumars and I could, with care, make up a matching set of M42 and K lenses. My son has taken the good ones - 50/1.4, 50 macro, 135/2,5 - and has added a 21 Ltd and a 35/2.4 and also a 70-150 K mount which is surprisingly sharp. Everything he uses goes in a small bag - size and ergonomics was a priority. And he has video of course and SR.

A new K-30 and a used EOS 50D are the same price..................

Does anyone share my dilemma? Did anyone else manage to part with Contax or Leica lenses they had previously?

12-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les24preludes Quote
I'm really sorry that I probably WON'T buy a K-30 right now to replace my Canon EOS 20D. My legacy lenses are Leica R, Contax and M42 (nice Takumars). I could do one of two things:
1. Sell all the Contax and Leica lenses and use the money for some Pentax lenses e.g. Limited ones

I haven't definitely decided. My son bought a K-30 and he was right - for the money it's a better body and it also has video. I'm VERY tempted...

But I just can't bear to part with the lenses I have, which were carefully collected over years. They're not the rare or expensive ones - just average usage common ones. How can I abandon that Contax look or that Leica look? I love the Takumars and I could, with care, make up a matching set of M42 and K lenses. My son has taken the good ones - 50/1.4, 50 macro, 135/2,5 - and has added a 21 Ltd and a 35/2.4 and also a 70-150 K mount which is surprisingly sharp. Everything he uses goes in a small bag - size and ergonomics was a priority. And he has video of course and SR.

Does anyone share my dilemma? Did anyone else manage to part with Contax or Leica lenses they had previously?
With my wife getting the K100D at the same time as I bought the K10D it was a better economical choice since we could "share" lenses. Since my K10 died, my newest Sigma 15 - 30mm hasn't been off her camera yet!
Seriously, I would not sell your lenses...I would buy the K30 since they are one of the best deals going...then both of you can buy different focal lengths and then you have access to way more glass. Don't forget that you can run out in the rain naked and still have a piece of mind.
If the K30 had a battery grip,I would likely buy it instead of the K5IIs

Good luck

Randy
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I guess, just ask yourself what is the most important thing for you when you take pictures.
Is it the simplicity of using the body ? the lens ? the sensor in it (for high iso / colour / etc ...)
? the size / weight ? WR ? and so on.

Choose what suits best your style.

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
If Nikon or Canon ever put shake reduction in their bodies instead of the lenses, I would seriously think of changing brands (Sony has it but I don't like their high ISO performance)

What would make you consider changing?

Just a discussion, not flaming Pentax In general
Even if Nikon or Canon put SR in their body i'll stick to Pentax !

I like :
- The Pentax community : chill, pleasure, and no "who got the biggest ?"
- the Pentax SLR and Lenses (i would never let go my dear DA*55 and DA40, neither my SuperA ! i should buy another, so in 25 years, when it will start to fail i'll have another one )
- Being different / not fear for my gear to be stolen (just kidding)
- the M42/K mount compatibility (and thus, all the cheap lens you can get)
- WR and magnesium alloy ! (my K-x is slowly dying because it lacks WR ... and so do all the DSLR of my Canikon mates. We shoot in forest, in wet, in hot, in cold, in snow, suspended in ropes @100 feets above the ground ... everywhere you can do rockclimbing and moutaineering)
- SR.
- silent shutter !

My next body will be the K5II i guess for my hear sakes
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Weathersealing and solid build in a tight package keep me with Pentax.
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I'd just get a 5D (super cheap now) or a 5DII if its for the lenses that you have.
Egro/features not as good though. (Works great with your lenses)
Poorer DR too.
But FF, and still well capable of taking nice photos.

The Contax can be converted to K-mount with Leitax adapters.
Not sure abt Leica R.
12-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

I also concur with Pinholecam about staying with Canon - and the 5D - 5DII is a wonderfully capable camera....

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd just get a 5D (super cheap now) or a 5DII if its for the lenses that you have.
Egro/features not as good though. (Works great with your lenses)
Poorer DR too.
But FF, and still well capable of taking nice photos.

The Contax can be converted to K-mount with Leitax adapters.
Not sure abt Leica R.
That said, I can add some background information here, Both the Contax and Leica R lenses can be converted (without any risk or damage and which is also fully reversible) by using the mounting kits from Leitax.com [ Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras ]. Each mount kit runs about $100 and if you are uncomfortable doing the swap yourself, Eric [ Home ] can do it for you (he is a legend here in the Pentax community). I have converted two Contax lenses, the 28/2.8 and 85/2.8 and they are absolutely wonderful. They came out perfect.[note - the lens review I did on the Contax 85 for some reason did not make it over to the new Zeiss third party lens review area, I have to go ask the Mods why... or just do or post a new one.]

A couple of items to note -
  • Of course your Taks will just mount natively - and there is a lot of good Tak glass out there - including the M42 (with an adapter).
  • On the Contax lenses, they need to be of the MM variety - the f22 notation on the lens (aperture ring) needs to be green to have the Leitax mount work (refer to the Leitax site). If you have the AE version (f22 white), then it would be best to stay with Canon - note there are a couple AE lenses that Leitax supports, and for the most part, Leitax converts primes and not zooms. There are a couple of AE zooms that Leitax supports, so you need to check their website for current and correct information.
  • Leica R - There are a few folks here shooting Leica. Occasionally, you will see Leica R lenses become available on the Forum's Marketplace.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.
12-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
For me, in order of priority: 1. Body: Value for money (for combination of features I wanted). Not for new lenses at current prices. 2. Lens compatibility (love some of the old glass and can actually afford it) 3. Relatively small size 4. In body SR 5. Great usability 6. Like the idea of WR. Don't own a WR lens yet though (the 18-55 / 18-135 WR don't appeal to me and I can't afford a * at the moment).
Ditto almost exactly for me. Probably have to add in the prospect of those great primes as well. If not Pentax, I'm not sure what, but at that point I'd first want to re-think which format - 4/3, C, or FF.
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I really do not understand a lot of folks changing from Canon to Nikon, and back again, then to ..... In my mind it makes little sense, especially if you are not a professional.
I don't either. There may be many reasons to go through different systems. Some of it might be that part of the fun of it is trying different equipment. People try different things for all sorts of reasons - cars, guns, audio/video, etc., so maybe just the thrill of using something new and different is enough.