Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would never give up my Pentax gear. I just wouldn't but I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun with this. It's not Swarovsky because in the end I decided that removable bling was probably better for now. I'm still thinking I might want silver leather at some point but the leather I found was too thick and I need to find something thinner first. For now just a little craft bling. It looks better in person I think. The stones look more real when it's live. They don't really photograph like they look...

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:47 AM.
12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #62
Pentaxian

This is my second time around with the K-5. Most of the smaller/ lighter gear I have tried is too small for me to use. The K-5 is the smallest body I can use properly with minimal pain issues. My D700 is what I would consider almost "perfect" for me, but it isn't small and it isn't light.

What is keeping me with Pentax? Ergonomics of the body. And the Limited lenses.

What would make me move? Continued high or more increases on the lens prices. I'm at the point with current pricing I won't be able to justify feeding two systems. So, I'm done with lens purchases unless there is an actual need for the lens.

Where would I go? Full Nikon. Been shooting Nikon digital since 2004 and have the D700 and some lenses - makes sense to go there if I part with the K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I don't either. There may be many reasons to go through different systems. Some of it might be that part of the fun of it is trying different equipment. People try different things for all sorts of reasons - cars, guns, audio/video, etc., so maybe just the thrill of using something new and different is enough.
As for people switching back and forth between systems...

Some people do love new gear.

Others, like myself, have been trying to find the right system. If you have hands/ fingers that are not "average", have physical or medical issues with your hands/ fingers, have arthritis, etc... using a camera can be an exercise in frustration or pain (or both). Finding the gear that works with the way you work can make a major difference. Me, being a hobbyist? I have to enjoy what I'm doing. Using a camera that I cannot properly manipulate the controls, or is painful to use doesn't quite fit that parameter.
12-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #63
Forum Member

"Canikons vs. the Pentaxians" - I think that was a Star Trek episode.

I started with a Pentax (if you don't count the Argus C3 I had for a short time), and I see no reason to switch now.

Last edited by rlg118; 12-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #64
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what sold me was the compatibility with older lens...I already had a couple of K mount lense and a big adapt-all lens that was easily converted. My former camera store had steered me toward pentax but it was a surprise meeting (through work) with someone involved with pentax that became my "poor man" `s way in... a good deal on a K10d. The K10 just blew me away, and still does. I was leaning toward a rebel for astrophotography for its lower noise but a K5 will be in the future. A camera has to go everywhere I go and be able to handle all conditions and my pentax certainly does it. I love the old manual primes pentax has and they fit my budget....no intentions of changing systems at all

12-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dynamic range and weather sealing. Small size. Affordable top end lenses. This forum.
12-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The FA Limiteds and the DA limiteds are Pentax USP for me.
12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #67
Veteran Member

- compatibility with older lenses
- compatibility with my already existing 40+ lenses from film days
- perfect ergonomics (for me, personally)
- robustness of their gear
- nostalgia, having used Pentax gear for near 30 years now

Ben

12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ergonomics - light weight, small body, good grip, fits my hand
User interface - menu system and button placement
Legacy glass - though I suppose the Takumars would work just fine on other brands
Limited primes - what is there to say?
In body SR - what do you think the Takumar designers would say if they knew their lenses were being used with SR 40 years after production?
+2 ...
12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #69

eaily to use. great color reproduction.
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #70
Pentaxian

It is all paid for. And perhaps the 10-17.
12-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote

What would make you consider changing?
As an owner of some 60 K mount lenses, there are very few things that would make me change from Pentax.
12-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
- compatibility with older lenses
- compatibility with my already existing 40+ lenses from film days
- perfect ergonomics (for me, personally)
- robustness of their gear
- nostalgia, having used Pentax gear for near 30 years now

Ben
+1. I've also been using Pentax for 30 years and I've enjoyed breathing life back into lenses I've had since my teens.
12-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #73
Veteran Member

What's not to love

Hmmm.....in body SR, high iso shooting, price, especially when you see what you get at the price you pay, legacy lens use. I would say that those are my reasons in order of importance. I also like to go against the grain. Not that all choose Canokon becasue they are followers, but alot do because they have been innundated with ads that tell them that they are the best.
12-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #74

If Pentax have the Nikon's AF system...
12-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fanofcc Quote
If Pentax have the Nikon's AF system...
Pentax did a good leap ahead with the K5II AF apparently.

If they do leap like this twice, they won't be far from Nikon.