Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My bad, got my terms mixed up, lol.

09-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #17

Email response from Pentax

This is the main part of the email I got when asking what "auto EV Compensation" does.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Auto EV would work in any mode other than Bulb or M.

Normally, a camera tries to balance an image to 18% gray.
With auto-EV the camera looks at the scene and applies EV compensation based what it thinks is supposed to be correct.
It may look at a scene of all snow and think, hey, 18% gray is probably not right for this, lets balance it to a brighter level.
This system is of course imperfect, but can help out a newer photographer to get shots correct more often, or help even an experience photographer who might just be in a hurry.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this would make it a type of "idiot" mode, but I've tried to push my k20d to make some type of auto ev adjustment and it doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

And just to re-clarify, this is the setting in the custom menu, NOT the setting when you do multi-exposure.
09-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Pentax and manuals

I still find it amazing Pentax can't explain the features in the camera manual. Whenever you buy a new Pentax, you spend the first evening reading the manual, and most likely you will not come out any wiser. You know the features you already have and for new features, ,even if you read the explanation several times you are still guessing as to what it might do... I have never understood the Auto EV compensation, I guessed what it was, and according to the email from Pentax I was wrong. It is a pity Pentax has such a feature rich camera and unable to explain it to its users.
09-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
In the custom menu on the K10D there's something called "Auto EV Compensation" described as "Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure cannot be determined"
What? What? What?
I'm generally a pretty intelligent guy and have a reasonable command of the English language, but I can't figure this one out. I mean how can the camera automatically compensate if it can't determine the proper exposure?
If anyone out there knows what this feature is, what it does, when to use it, please enlighten me.
When set to on, it wont let you take a pic that will be grossly over-exposed or under-exposed. For example on a nice bright sunny day, I have the iso at 400 and my lens at f2.8 I take a pic of the top of a tree the pic should be very over-exposed but its OK, the camera automatically adjusted the EV settings usually the fstop, and it does it only when you half press the shutter to take a pic.

How do I know, and have seen it work many times. Once I was testing a lens at f2.8 and ever time I would half press the shutter I would see the fstop jump up. This can happen because the camera can only go to 1/4000 so if your at iso400 on a bright day and f2.8 even 1/4000 will not be enough shutter speed to prevent over exposure, so when you press the shutter button and without you knowing many times (unless you pay attention to the fstop numbers) the camera will set the aperture to an appropriate value like f11 (just guessing).

It does not work in manual mode, only in one of the semi or full automatic exposure modes like Av. Try this put the kit zoom on your camera, set the iso to 1600 and be in Av mode, set the aperture to 3.5 and get real close to a light bulb and see what happens when you half press the shutter, the fstop will go up to like f16 or higher. Turn off Ev compensation and nothing will happen and the camera will just let you take a grossly over-exposed pic.