Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey, guess how I found out about the poll. Posted on the FB page of our local photo club, which is as close you can come to posting on a Nikon forum without actually posting to a Nikon forum. Assuming it wasn't the only time the link got reposted, (and according to some comments on the site, it wasn't) I don't see anything terribly wrong with this.

12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Hey, guess how I found out about the poll. Posted on the FB page of our local photo club, which is as close you can come to posting on a Nikon forum without actually posting to a Nikon forum. Assuming it wasn't the only time the link got reposted, (and according to some comments on the site, it wasn't) I don't see anything terribly wrong with this.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it, just the worst form of consumerism was displayed.

Pentax is not our team, nor are they our "brothers in arms", so to speak. This is diagnostic of nothing, especially when people are openly talking about faking votes and the numbers. Companies respond to bad reviews and imminence of death of their brands by putting out better products. They don't respond to fanboyism, especially when the fanboys are pushing the products blindly (ie: "I will buy fictional product X from my favorite company, sight unseen, only because it's got that brand on it" or "SDM has been fixed this year, there is no problem, etc, even though SDM is in its fourth year of failures").

More laughable is that the K-5II has been barely out on the market, so faking votes looks even more suspicious, especially compared to the 5DIII and D600/800, who have possibly sold more cameras at intro than Pentax has for the entire duration since release.

It all seems silly, the extent to which some of you are going for Pentax, when they won't even go so far on their own.
12-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Point taken.
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But Pentax is our team - we have invested in cameras and lenses which will only work with their technology. Sure, you can sell them, but it will always be at a loss. If you have made an investment in Pentax equipment, it makes sense that you cheer for them, so that they get more consumers and make more money. That way they will continue improving their equipment as well as bring down the cost of it, since more people will be buying.
It makes more sense to cheer for Pentax than for a sports team, in my opinion
Unless you are making bets and stuff..

12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But Pentax is our team - we have invested in cameras and lenses which will only work with their technology. Sure, you can sell them, but it will always be at a loss. If you have made an investment in Pentax equipment, it makes sense that you cheer for them, so that they get more consumers and make more money. That way they will continue improving their equipment as well as bring down the cost of it, since more people will be buying.
It makes more sense to cheer for Pentax than for a sports team, in my opinion
Unless you are making bets and stuff..
Flawed logic.
12-27-2012, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Flawed logic.
Terrible communication.
12-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Pentax is not our team, nor are they our "brothers in arms", so to speak. This is diagnostic of nothing, especially when people are openly talking about faking votes and the numbers. Companies respond to bad reviews and imminence of death of their brands by putting out better products. They don't respond to fanboyism, especially when the fanboys are pushing the products blindly (ie: "I will buy fictional product X from my favorite company, sight unseen, only because it's got that brand on it" or "SDM has been fixed this year, there is no problem, etc, even though SDM is in its fourth year of failures").
Me thinks you might be taking an internet poll a little too seriously and calling members of a owner's forum "fanboys" is a little odd to me or redundant at best. Corporations do not respond to bad reviews, they respond to sales. The better the sales, the more investment they will put into research and product development. In the case of Ricoh, who's main business is office products, their response to poor sales would be to either sell or kill the Pentax brand. Satisfied customers are Pentax's best advertising resource and are key to the viability of a niche brand. If you are not happy with the product, move to a system that better meets your needs.
12-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Me thinks you might be taking an internet poll a little too seriously and calling members of a owner's forum "fanboys" is a little odd to me or redundant at best. Corporations do not respond to bad reviews, they respond to sales. The better the sales, the more investment they will put into research and product development. In the case of Ricoh, who's main business is office products, their response to poor sales would be to either sell or kill the Pentax brand. Satisfied customers are Pentax's best advertising resource and are key to the viability of a niche brand. If you are not happy with the product, move to a system that better meets your needs.
Of course they respond to bad reviews.

Look at the Fuji X10 debacle. People complained, no one cared, and it's still suspected that Fuji seeded DPR with posts from their own employees, often bashing people that complained of orbs, or even went as far as to paint them as lunatics.

Then DPR found the orbs in their tests. and reported on them.

Mind you, Fuji is much, much larger, has among the best selling in the class cams (supposedly $100+ million in sales of the x100 alone), so they could have easily let the x10 go, but they made a redesigned sensor for it. True, there is no official recall, nor does anyone know if new units have the new sensor, and one has to ask for the new sensor as a replacement, but it shows action on their part based on a negative review.