Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heavy lens, man!

I've been really enjoying my Tokina 20-200 f2.8 MF zoom Tokina AT-X SD 80-200mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database Its sharp, handles nicely and the focus indicator on my K-5 is generally spot on. Its really nice to be able to isolate the subject even at f8 or f11 at the 200mm length.

I've been setting the SR to 180mm guessing that the anti-shake would be of most value at longer focal lengths. Any other ideas out there?

But, this sucker is heavy! Its all metal, including the lens hood, and it tends to weigh me down as I take in the Atlanta Zoo. In addition to the fatigue factor, I worry about the K-5's body lugs giving way one day.

Does anyone out there have suggestions for carrying such a rig using other than a neck strap? I use an Amazon back pack - which is a screaming bargain at $40, but if I keep the lens/camera in it I can't get that quick shot. Thoughts, anyone?

12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
But, this sucker is heavy! Its all metal, including the lens hood, and it tends to weigh me down as I take in the Atlanta Zoo. In addition to the fatigue factor, I worry about the K-5's body lugs giving way one day.
the DA*300 and DA*60-250 are around 1100 gr, your 80-200/2.8 is around 1350gr, i think the K5 is made to handle those when you aim at the ground. otherwise support the beast i suggest.

I've been setting the SR to 180mm guessing that the anti-shake would be of most value at longer focal lengths. Any other ideas out there?
in that case i disable SR, i discover it blurr my picture when i'm i don't need it. SR is nice with prime, less with zoom in my opinion.

Does anyone out there have suggestions for carrying such a rig using other than a neck strap? I use an Amazon back pack - which is a screaming bargain at $40, but if I keep the lens/camera in it I can't get that quick shot. Thoughts, anyone?
i have no solution to offer unfortunately
12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the DA*300 and DA*60-250 are around 1100 gr, your 80-200/2.8 is around 1350gr, i think the K5 is made to handle those when you aim at the ground. otherwise support the beast i suggest.

in that case i disable SR, i discover it blurr my picture when i'm i don't need it. SR is nice with prime, less with zoom in my opinion.

Interesting about disabling the SR. I'll have to do a comparison.

Thanks!
12-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Get used to handling a monopod, you will enjoy it. A good and heavy one.

12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use two rapid straps and carry a sigma 500mm on one and a pentax 60-250 on the other. Depending on how I feel I will take only one or both. My handicap is I am over 60.
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Tell me more about these Monopod....

I kinda keep looking at one through the corner of my eye.. Having said that. I went and bought myself a Tair 3. 1.5kg of Russian joy. Turns out its going to be a little difficult to hold and focus with one hand whilst fiddling over on the shutter :P Are they tall enough, monopods that is, to stand a good 6" high. If it kinda works like a 3rd arm, sh1t I'll buy one today
12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron knows monopods from all those great sports shots. I've used a Manfrotto for the last two years with DA 55-300 for high school and middle school outdoor sporting events. I'm using the 681B which stabilizes quite well, Italian built with excellent quick releases and doubles as a personal protection device.

12-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1 Leg Better Than 2 Arms?

I have the same Tokina and it's a heavy beast, all right. Wouldn't even consider taking it out without a monopod.
My monopod is an old Bogen, I'm 5' 11" tall and it's perfectly sized to eye-level, no stooping down to view. The ball-head is a Bogen also, a 3009 IIRC.
With the lens mounted on it's own tripod mount, the camera bayonet isn't bearing the weight of the lens, the tripod is.
When I move any distance, the M/P gets slung over my shoulder, like a rifle. Camera/lens behind me, the leg of the 'pod out in front. Never had any problem, but you DO have to be careful in crowds! There, I just carry it straight up in front of me, like I was ready to take a shot. The cable release is attached and the controller is rubber-banded to the correct height on the pod (near the top) so I can support the pod and fire the shutter with one hand, the other hand is for focusing, zooming or camera controls.
Although it may sound dangerous, I've used this system for years, never had an "accident". Bear in mind, all this time, the camera neck strap is securely (where else?) around my neck!
With practice, you can nestle the 'pod (near the top) in the crook of one arm and use another camera with two (nearly) free hands. That camera usually has a w/a prime or zoom.
Works for me, YMMV.
Ron
12-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't like neck straps and was looking for a sling. I got the capture clip for a back packing trip and it worked great. Their new product looks like it will be good also. It ends today if you want to get the early bird.

Leash and Cuff, by Peak Design by Peter Dering — Kickstarter
12-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well I went and bought a Manfrotto 681B. This one has only 2 latches whilst the 680 has three, The 680 is smaller, but no lighter. (they were the same price)

At full extension, the 680 flexes ever so slightly. the 681 doesn't flex, but rather moves the earth around under it.

I'm confident I could use it as a car jack. As far as a stick goes, it will be great :P

No only for it to stop raining..
12-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also would recommend a monopod, but barring that a cross body strap that attaches at the lens tripod mount will take some of the strain off your neck and off the K-5.

Something like BlackRapid Classic (RS-4) Strap
12-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

The thing to also remember is those 2 DA* lenses are f4 and his Tokina is f2.8. At this focal length, the jump from f4 to f2.8 is substantial.
12-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The thing to also remember is those 2 DA* lenses are f4 and his Tokina is f2.8. At this focal length, the jump from f4 to f2.8 is substantial.
Quite so! And the Tokina is all metal. Would make a good club!