Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you clean your sensor?

I suppose for those with the K10D this is an irrelevant question but for those who don't, what is your favourite cleaning method? Any secret tricks?

I've tried a few and can't decide which I like the best. I think it is the Rocket blower but sometimes you get some stubborn dirt....

01-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used the blower and if that didn't work I used the copperhill method (sensorswipe with pacpads and eclipse fluid)..

Item #5 - Basic Sensor Cleaning Kit (U.S.& Canada customers only) photo - Nicholas R. photos at pbase.com

I had to buy the Eclipse locally though as they don't ship it... I cleaned my D, DS, K100d and James 20d this way many times without issue..
01-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steel wool and a good stiff wire brush gets that scum off the sensor in a jiff. Every now and then a real stubborn speck of gunk will require the sandblaster, but that really is a last resort what with all that sand and stuff blowing about. In a pinch an ounce or two of gasoline or a good squirt of lighter fluid and the clean side of ones shirt-sleeve works pretty good-don't use the same sleeve you wipe your nose on. Some loose stuff can be removed with a sharp fingernail.

Hey, I got some tips for cleaning lenses too; let me know if you need them.
01-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, dear. For the record, he has a rocket blower. However, even with our dusty, dusty, dusty environment, neither of us has had many problems with dust & camera sensors. I've never even turned on the sensor shake. Prior to the K10, I never saw him try anything fancy with the *ist, as well.

01-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Steel wool and a good stiff wire brush gets that scum off the sensor in a jiff. Every now and then a real stubborn speck of gunk will require the sandblaster, but that really is a last resort what with all that sand and stuff blowing about. In a pinch an ounce or two of gasoline or a good squirt of lighter fluid and the clean side of ones shirt-sleeve works pretty good-don't use the same sleeve you wipe your nose on. Some loose stuff can be removed with a sharp fingernail.

Hey, I got some tips for cleaning lenses too; let me know if you need them.
Nail polish remover works real well on the plastic AA filters...

*Disclaimer, Acetone will melt the AA filter
01-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

IMHO, Do NOT use the CopperHill kit!

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I suppose for those with the K10D this is an irrelevant question but for those who don't, what is your favourite cleaning method? Any secret tricks?
I use Sensor Swap kit and by applying the techniques as taught at the CopperHill's website.

Just google both the "SensorSwap" and "CopperHill" and you will find the links.

Originally, I just wish to point you to the old Dpreview threads, but I've just discovered that Phil Askey deleted all the links just because he accused the CopperHill links as SPAM!(?)

See this if interested:-
Re: Cleaning the sensor - Link: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
I've tried a few and can't decide which I like the best. I think it is the Rocket blower but sometimes you get some stubborn dirt....
Rocket blower is still needed before you do wet swap and it is a MUST. Just becoz you must blow away the large not-so-sticky dust first to avoid scratch on the AA fliter.

Remember to do the blowing in a clean place like the bathroom. Do make a few blow to suck clean air in before doing the real job.

Maybe the air blower has already done the job, then you can save the wet clean, otherwise wet clean can follow.

I myself do NOT recommond CopperHill's swapping kit, as its material is more abbrasive than the SensorSwap. The SensorSwap is much softer and higher grade, thus it is safer to use.

Yes, the SEnsorSwap is more expensive, but my experience is that I only needed to do twice a year and I shoot about 10,000 pics per year and I changed lenses quite often. So, a box of SensorSwap has 12 swap head, I would say it is more than enough.

After the cleaning, you can check by shooting a blue sky and close down the aperture to f/22 or so. To see if the dust specks are acceptable for normal shooting, I recommend to shoot also at f/8 for a blue sky. If the latter pics do not see obvious dust specks, I would say most of the time you will not see the problem! Again, otherwise, do a wet clean again!

Bottom line is that do NOT use the CopperHIll kit (to take the risk, do a web search about the differences in materials and I think you'll be convinced). Also, don't swap too much as Mr. CopperHill as I would say he is too obsessive for doing so (as he do tens of times in one month!)
01-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All I can say is I have used the copperhill kit on 4 different cameras (mine and friends) many times over and none of us have ever had any problems with it.. But if people don't follow the instructions I am sure they could do damage..

Bottom line if your unsure don't use any method other than the recommended blower method and take your camera to a Pentax service center if you can't get it clean with the blower..

01-05-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Rocket blower works 99.9% of the time. For the .1% of the time the Rocket blower doesn't work, I have Sensor Swabs and Eclipse fluid.

In 2 years and with 2 bodies, I've only had to use the swabs once.

-Alan
01-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
almost fell from the chair
01-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, there's a spy in my house-how will I every maintain my tough-guy image if you keep leaking secrets?

Yes, I have a Rocket Blower. And the SensorSwab stuff (eclipse). And that spinning electrostatic brush. Shake, Blow, Brush, Swab-in that order. In fact Shake twice, Blow twice, Brush twice--never needed to Swab at all. Twice a year on the *Ist-D, not yet on K10/100.

Oh, did I mention, "Think and act with extreme delicacy and the softest touch"?
01-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of the rocket blower I use a foot pump, but it's the same principle. One note. I have a set of CRV's that I put into the camera just for cleaning. It is a BAD THING to have your batteries go dead whilst cleaning sensor as the mirror then slams down. So be sure to have fresh batteries when cleaning. If the blower doesn't work I have the sensor swabs and some pure methanol (same stuff as eclipse fluid but much much cheaper) that really does the trick. I've only had to use them once and the foot pump blower maybe 4-5 times in the three years I've owned my DS.
Here is a good link to all sorts of cleaning methods (and where I got the nifty foot pump idea)
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

NaCl(when all else fails John's methods--the first ones-- are sure to work!)H2O
01-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Another vote for the copperhill method. I use it about every three months. For light stuff, I use the sensor brush plus a puff of air from a blower.
01-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input and the links. I sued the sensor brush with my D70 and found it reasonably effective. I just picked up some eclipse and sensor swabs and am giving them a try too.

What grade of sandpaper works best? Also would it be beneficial to use a leaf blower to get off those stubborn stains...?
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Digital-slr Sensor Cleaning Kit

This should be available in the US soon! It is supposed to be the same device Pentax uses at their service centers.

click HERE

added:
It is available in the UK: Park Cameras

Trog - why not check it out? I'm going to VOIP Park Cameras and ask about it...

Last edited by superfuzzy; 01-05-2007 at 01:32 PM.
01-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

damn..after i saw this thread posted....i found 2 specs in my sensor..(previously thought it was from my dirty UV filter....

2.5 months..and the things is dirty..gotta get my screen cleaned too...how the hell did the dust get in there......(dr didnt work..it's a stubborn one)

time to pick up some materials..

anyone here tried out visible dust?

Last edited by -=JoN=-; 01-06-2007 at 12:39 AM.