Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone else hoping more for news on the next APS-C camera?

Im a K-x owner and until recently have not had the cash to buy into a higher end camera. I have been on the fence for almost 9 months on the K-5 - K5ii/s idea but the more I wait the more I'd love to see what the next APS-C camera is. I know the Full framer when it comes, and it will, will be a huge jump in brand satisfaction but it seems the only camera people talk about is the FF.

Should I jump on the K5 now or does anyone have any early rumors on the next APS-C?

12-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Im a K-x owner and until recently have not had the cash to buy into a higher end camera. I have been on the fence for almost 9 months on the K-5 - K5ii/s idea but the more I wait the more I'd love to see what the next APS-C camera is. I know the Full framer when it comes, and it will, will be a huge jump in brand satisfaction but it seems the only camera people talk about is the FF.

Should I jump on the K5 now or does anyone have any early rumors on the next APS-C?
Haven't heard of anything concrete yet, unfortunately, though I think the K-30 is currently a great upgrade for anyone with a K-x or K-r!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

any early rumors on the next APS-C?
There are early unsubstantiated rumours of new products (see the other FF thread) but if you are patient by end January 2013 there may be more real news at a big photo trade show coming up in JP.

However anything Pentax mention in early 2013 will take some time to reach consumers, and at the moment something like the K-5 is simply a great deal. Ditto the K-30.
12-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I know how you feel. I'm deciding between a second hand K5, new K30 and a hypotetical K-r succesor with a K5 sensor. Guess i will stay with my K10D for now and wait a little longer...

12-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I am waiting for the upgrade of the K5 series... it is not unlikely that the K5 (II) will become the sole APS-C in the future.
12-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Next APSc

I have a K-7 and opted not to get a K-5 when they came out, so I am waiting for the next APSc high end DSLR. The wait is bugging me and the K5ii has just made the wait longer. I shoot lots but sometime bump up against the edge of usability with the K-7 particularly in regards to ISO. I hope Pentax stays out of full frame personally and concentrates on MF and APSc. I think it's a better long term stratagy for a small company. MF is a way to keep ahead of the Canons and Nikons while FF is just following and they can also then make the best APSc DSLRs without competing with themselves.
12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I expect an announcement at CP+; 24mp flagship APS-C, no AA filter, PDAF & CDAF improvements and focus peaking. That's my camera.

12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I expect an announcement at CP+; 24mp flagship APS-C, no AA filter, PDAF & CDAF improvements and focus peaking. That's my camera.
+ better AF tracking..
12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
+ better AF tracking..
And hopefully ready to accomodate the new LED flash system Pentax has in the works.
12-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Do they ever do anything at CES or will CP+ be the time and place for any announcement related to DSLR systems?

What about a flash or is 540 the be all and end all of Pentax flashes for the foreseeable future?
12-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Do they ever do anything at CES or will CP+ be the time and place for any announcement related to DSLR systems?

What about a flash or is 540 the be all and end all of Pentax flashes for the foreseeable future?
CP+ has been the big show for Pentax, but the last Photokina saw quite a bit of action. The CES has been virtually ignored, but this year it's within a couple of weeks of CP+, so it would make sense to announce at CES first.

One of the interviews with Pentax brass discussed LED as the future of flash, and that Pentax was working on it. (Sorry, I don't have time to find the quote).
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes I am !!

After playing with a K-5 II for 45 minutes a couple of weeks ago I'm itching to buy one, especially with all the lowish-light fanmily photo ops coming up with the holidays.

But my more cautious side tells me to wait for concrete news of the next higher-up model. But it'll be more expensive... and likely 24MP (hmm, computer upgrade ?)...

So I'm torn and hoping for a solid rumour before christmas.
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Yes I am !!

24MP (hmm, computer upgrade ?)...
I reckon my overclocked 4yr old Intel Core 2 Duo is still OK for 16MP but 24MP is pushing it - I think the latest bells and whistles are required for a pleasant experience.
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imaging Resources has convinced me going to 24 MP would be a good thing, but it will require using the best lenses to take advantage of it. Anyone thinking they are going to use thier kit lens and see a difference is probably somewhat deluded. The difference between APS-c 24 MP and APS-c 16MP would seem to be 2400 lw/ph to 2100 lw/ph. So a .33 bigger file for a .14 increase in resolution, increasing MP has definitely hit a wall in terms of the law of diminishing returns. Still an APS-c camera that tests out at 2100 lw/ph with a standard lens can hit 2900 lw/ph with a Sigma 85 1.4. That's more increase than available for the larger sensor. For those of us who already have all the top lenses, a 24 MP might be good. For those of us who don't, we're going to have to upgrade and get a 24 MP sensor to take advantage.

I expect Pentax will look at what they've got and figure out what they can do. I can work with what I have, so I don't have a preference. To the guy who wants better tracking...quit flogging yourself, get a good tracking Nikon or Canon, and be done with it. Pentax may bring out new models but they aren't going to completely change their stripes. Or are you advocating them doing what Canon is doing , and start bringing out lenses that only their newest cameras can use, in order to introduce new technology? I think for Pentax to catch Nikon and Canon in tracking, that's what they'd have to do. If they could some how upgrade to get there, they probably would have done it long ago. Using those screw mount lenses, keeps costs down, but, they are what they are.
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

24mp should show less moire than 16mp, which is significant for a body with no anti-alias filter.

I read an article once that claimed 36mp as optimum for APS-C. It was a well illustrated science based argument. Unfortunately I have absolutely no recollection of where I saw it.