Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

SDHC speed test Sandisk Ultra vs PNY Professional

(Inspired by https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/207280-sdhc-card-t...d-results.html)

The memory cards:
PNY Professional 8GB. Class 10. 20 MB/s advertised speed (*). Purchased 2 years ago; I don't remember price.
SanDisk Ultra 16GB. Class 10. 30 MB/s advertised speed (*). Purchased on sale locally for $15.
(*) Both speeds are maximum burst read, not write.

The camera:
K-5. Set for hi-speed continuous shooting. Manual focus and 1/500 shutter. Lens cap on.

Technique:
Format card. Hold shutter button for 15 seconds. Release shutter. Watch blinking red LED on back of camera to see how long it takes to finish writing buffer. Check number of pictures obatined.

Results:
  • Card
    • # photos obtained in 15 seconds
    • Time needed to finish writing after shutter released at 15 sec mark
  • PNY Professional 8GB
    • 40 sec
  • SanDisk Ultra 16GB
    • 17 sec

Last edited by DeadJohn; 12-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.
12-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
You can't really test different sized cards next to each other, as larger cards are faster since they have more sectors. It's not a fair comparison. That said, I doubt anything will beat Sandisk Ultra/Extreme cards without paying unreasonable prices for them.
12-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
You can't really test different sized cards next to each other, as larger cards are faster since they have more sectors. It's not a fair comparison. That said, I doubt anything will beat Sandisk Ultra/Extreme cards without paying unreasonable prices for them.
The most unfair part of my might be comparing a nearly new card to a 2 year old one. It's not intended to be a scientific review, just a quick test of what was in front of me. My objective was to decide which card to use in which camera. The larger card was already in the lead for my main camera, a K5, and this speed test reinforces that choice.

In the more extensive test I linked by mdave13, the largest card happened to be the slowest, so size does not automatically = faster.
12-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As an observation we tested the Transend 64g class 10 against the Sandisk extreme Pro 64g class 10: used M
Mode, 1/500 sec, AF on manual, DA* 55 f1.4 on f1.4 and continuous high speed drive, ISO 100, raw only, no in camera adjustments(distortion, shadow comp, etc) on. We got 24 frames before slowdown, and the buffer on the Sandisk extreme Pro cleared in less than 11 seconds(meaning the busy light quit blinking) on the K5 IIs, over double the speed of the Transend card. Now if we have raw + jpg selected with all the bells and whistles on and the same lens in use but keep the same MF setting and M mode of the camera, it's a dead heat of 22 images before slowdown, and about a minute to clear the buffer. Shows me its the cameras computer that is the bottle neck that time. But we shoot raw only and the Sandisk card is much faster. Ymmv,

David